The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old May 30th, 2014   Mr. Wrong is offline   #17
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

I say just open the Political Forum again
ddf
jasonleo View Post
To keep it really civil we should focus on social issues!

I like the idea of restructuring the layout in terms of creating Marvel, DC and Indy or "Other" sections. There seems to be as much Marvel conversation as DC here these days.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old May 30th, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #18
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

One of the things I try to do to fight this is create threads not about a single issue but about the comic itself. That way anyone can discuss any part of the run they happen to be reading.
ddf
Amentep View Post
I like this idea as I've done this also.

Old May 30th, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #19
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

To keep it really civil we should focus on social issues!
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
Social or political threads always devolves. I'm hoping you're being sarcastic. Lol.

Old May 30th, 2014   Mr. Wrong is offline   #20
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Social or political threads always devolves. I'm hoping you're being sarcastic. Lol.
ddf
manwithnoname View Post
Definitely sarcastic!

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old May 30th, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #21
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

Definitely sarcastic!
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
Boing!

Old May 30th, 2014   Danny Perkins is offline   #22
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

I also think we need to remove the Geoff, Greg and Ron sections. Those should become Marvel, DC, Indy sections (my thoughts anyway)
ddf
chrisbenes View Post
As sad as it makes me to see this I sort of agree.

Greg ain't comin back. And I doubt Geoff is either.

This place used to be a great place for creators to interact with their fans. THat don't need us anymore. They all use twitter to much greater effect.

If you weren't expecting this to be good, then you need to go and read a bunch of Greg Rucka comics. - MattDiCarlo
Old May 30th, 2014   Alan is offline   #23
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

There's a Ron section?

Good grief. I never scroll down that far. Hey, look at all that stuff down there. Who knew?

Roger Stern is the only pro that posts here these days, bless him.

Everyone, just talk. About whatever you want to, it's only us here. If you want to talk about the old Teen Titans then DO IT! If you want to discuss the price of beef in Azerbaijan then do that too. If you want to discuss a six month old comic (or 6 years, or 60), then DO it.

We can't talk about this stuff with our families. They don't know why these piles of comics just keep growing. Or why more of their books have disappeared off the bookshelves and been replaced by a Justice League Omnibus (who really needs to see sociology textbooks anyway?).

So talk about it here!

Old May 30th, 2014   Mark MacMillan is offline   #24
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

Want more posters? Hmmm...

Have you ever considered easing up on the "comic-centric-ness" of this place?

I remember Kandor Red brought this up in another thread like this the last time I used to be a "regular", and I fully agree with him as a fellow former comic book reader like Kandor Red.

Now that ex-posters like Kandor and I don't read comics anymore, there's nothing for us to really talk about here anymore except for the other trivial/mundane topics such as comics around here like TV/Movies, Wrestling, sports, etc.

If this place were more open to a few discussions about things that actually matter maybe people wouldn't be so quick to just stop messaging here altogether.

Just my 2 cents, anyway.

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old May 30th, 2014   MattDiCarlo is offline   #25
MattDiCarlo
Threat or Menace?

Not to make this business-like, but what's our comparative advantage. What does this community have going for it that others on the internet don't?

Old May 30th, 2014   Mark MacMillan is offline   #26
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

Hmmm.... I personally wouldn't know.

I don't really have a use for the internet outside of work related things and I've only been to maybe 3 message boards my entire life (never really cared much for opinion sites which is why I only Facebook between family and friends nowadays)

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old May 31st, 2014   Scott Mateo is offline   #27
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

Fire up the old Monday night chatroom again?

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old May 31st, 2014   JRM is offline   #28
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

We didn't leave! DC left us!

Sniff.
ddf
MattDiCarlo View Post
For the most part, correct.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old May 31st, 2014   Mackaybear is offline   #29
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

Not to make this business-like, but what's our comparative advantage. What does this community have going for it that others on the internet don't?
ddf
MattDiCarlo View Post
TJ Lamb?

I may be old and crippled, but I ain't dead yet.
Old May 31st, 2014   JRM is offline   #30
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

TJ Lamb?
ddf
Mackaybear View Post
And You Mackay, and John, and the rest. There continues to be fine folk that hang out here, not as many as before - true, but still ..... fine folk.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old May 31st, 2014   thbriboy is offline   #31
thbriboy

We didn't leave! DC left us!

Sniff.
ddf
MattDiCarlo View Post
I could not possibly agree more with this statement. We may as well all just write fan fiction now with the characters we actually recognize and want to read about, since what we're basically getting now is just fan fiction with no-longer-recognizable characters that we THOUGHT we wanted to read about.

There are some exceptions, such as the GL titles, Batman, and a few others (holy cow, JusticeLeague 3000 is amazing... PLEASE don't let this become just another cancelled Giffen book).

But the one thing that classily separated DC from Marvel was the concept of legacy. Now it's totally gone. Hal and Ollie were never friends, J'onn was never really one of the gang, Tim was never really Robin, Wally was never the Flash, etc. etc. etc.... It just utterly spits upon the idea of serialized fiction. The whole New52 reeks of DC A). Throwing as much as they can against the wall to see what sticks, B). Giving up on trying to tell better stories about established characters and instead just blowing it all up and starting over, and C). Clearly prioritizing increased market shares over the creation of art.

Because like it or not, this is still very much an art form in the broadest creative sense. All the greatest creators knew how to make the most of that fact, and even just the very good creators at least knew they were playing in a sandbox that was richer than the average teen vampire fiction novel. Why else would DC limit its top regular writer (Geoff) to 2 books a month and yoke him to the cart of cross-media development? Why would they continue to re-re-re-release collections from the old DCU if they're so committed to the artistic vision of the New 52 beyond dollars and cents?

I really feel bad for Didio, he really wants to just tell good stories and instead he has to worry about making WB money in a way they understand. They'll claim that the New 52 was integral in the launch of the Nolan Batman films, Man of Steel, and the upcoming DC cinematic Universe. Baloney.

I implore everyone at DC and WB: you can have your moneymaking movies and TV shows (okay, Arrow is brilliant) and video games, but PLEASE let the comics themselves regain their rightful places as ARTISTIC STATEMENTS.

....there, I think that's all I've got for now.

If anyone needs me, I'll be hangin' out BEYOND PHOBOS!
Old May 31st, 2014   MattDiCarlo is offline   #32
MattDiCarlo
Threat or Menace?

We're quickly becoming a support group.