The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old September 24th, 2013   Scott Mateo is offline   #1
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

Default Fox's Gotham TV Series

On FOX

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old September 25th, 2013   Simon DelMonte is offline   #2
Simon DelMonte
Diehard DCU & Mets Fan

Interesting that it will be on Fox. Guess it's worth it to sell the concept to another outlet for $$$ instead of adding it to the CW.

Interesting it was announced last night, as if to say, "DC will see your SHIELD and raise you a Gotham."

And just interesting as a premise.

Simon DelMonte
Old September 25th, 2013   Amentep is offline   #3
Amentep

What villains could they use. The crime families, but who else was established pre-Batman?

Old September 25th, 2013   ronaldj is offline   #4
ronaldj
Supreme Geoffan

What villains could they use. The crime families, but who else was established pre-Batman?
ddf
Amentep View Post
the Owls

One day I'll be done with this, but for now, once more into the fray. Thom
Old September 25th, 2013   Alan is offline   #5
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

The shame is that they didn't go all the way with the Gotham Central concept, where they worked around the existence of Batman, just not the presence, but that would have been aping SHIELD too much.

I suspect it will suck horribly...Arrow is fun but actually pretty awful on a rational basis (ie compared with something actually good), this could either be similar or be awful without the fun.

Old September 25th, 2013   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #6
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

The shame is that they didn't go all the way with the Gotham Central concept, where they worked around the existence of Batman, just not the presence, but that would have been aping SHIELD too much.

I suspect it will suck horribly...Arrow is fun but actually pretty awful on a rational basis (ie compared with something actually good), this could either be similar or be awful without the fun.
ddf
Alan View Post
Remember that Arrow is on CW and has to cater to a certain group of viewers. Fox has shows like 24 which were not afraid to push the envelope. I have some decent hopes for this.

Also, note that the premise is that this is Gordon Pre-Batman. That doesn't mean that, like Smallville, they won't start to introduce a number of villains in second or later seasons in a build up to him meeting Batman.

Check out Pulpline Magazine for original prose content! Submissions welcome!
Old September 25th, 2013   chrisbenes is offline   #7
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

ddf
Alan View Post
I agree...I have always been a big supporter of a Gotham Central show....But this could be cool also.

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old September 26th, 2013   Amentep is offline   #8
Amentep

the Owls
ddf
ronaldj View Post
Okay so we get

The Crime Families
The Owls
The League of Assassins

Characters from before they were villains -
Victor Freeze
Harvey Dent

...and anything else?

Old September 26th, 2013   Scott Mateo is offline   #9
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

I'd rather see a Checkmate series based on Paul Kupperberg's original concept (with Harvey Bullock as a bishop), not the Hellfire Club-lite hierarchy setup that Rukca introduced later on.

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old September 27th, 2013   RoseWilson is offline   #10
RoseWilson
Advanced Geoffan

Just wonder what will distinguish this from a normal cop show? I'm not the biggest fan of standard procedurals. Sounds like a possible attempt to reach out to that sort of non standard comic fan who likes those.

Couldn't really do a Checkmate show right now without the general public seeing it a s SHIELD rip off. Loved Rucka's Checkmate brilliant stuff but not the right time.

Old September 27th, 2013   Werehunter is offline   #11
Werehunter
Master Geoffan

I have to say that this sounds like them just sticking Gotham and Gordon onto a cop show. Having it take place at the start of of his career greatly limits the concept. Until we hear more, I'm not that interested.

Old September 27th, 2013   Alan is offline   #12
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

Yeah, as said above, the sort of villains that would make Gotham interesting don't appear till Batman does. Unless they just don't worry about that and have a bunch of the lesser lights, or those that don't need too much in the way of FX. No Killer Croc I would have thought for instance. Riddler would be a perfect villain though. And a Selina Kyle who is more of a burglar.

Tricky though without the glue of Batman to hold it together, or his presence, as Gotham Central did so well, without him actually being on screen.

Old September 27th, 2013   Mr. Wrong is offline   #13
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Charlie Chu, an editor for Oni Press, tweeted this yesterday:

"That Gotham Central was great but still struggled for sales, and yet nerds now losing it over a Gotham show is why we can't have nice things"
ddf
I got a chuckle out of it.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old September 27th, 2013   BART ALLEN is offline   #14
BART ALLEN
pre 52 and proud of it

Maybe they should just bite the bullet and do a Batman live tv show. Gotham without Batman any remember the big hit birds of prey was not

Looking for the light in a land of forever night
Old September 27th, 2013   JRM is offline   #15
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Gotham Central would have been a better fit - same feel as the book, focus on the Cops of Gotham not the Capes. Most of the characters would translate well to the small screen.

I just can not see over the longer haul, how the announced take will work. Also most of the suggested takes will leave most of the audience with a Hunh? "Court of Owls" ... who? (bad pun intended) Perhaps with a great writer and a solid cast, it could work, but I think that this will be the harder road to hoe...

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old September 27th, 2013   thunderdude is offline   #16
thunderdude
Prince of Pizza!

I don't know. I'll watch this, but I'd rather have Nightwing, Batgirl, another try at BOP or even Catwoman. at least Arrow and this Flash show will have "The Guy" "This is another attempt to "Smallville" Batman and just don't think it will work.

I love it when a plan comes together in the Multiverse!