The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old July 31st, 2013   Mark MacMillan is offline   #17
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

I bought the DVD of that series and it really didn't hold up well. At least for me. I remember enjoying it when it first aired and I was a kid, but not when I watched the DVD. The two episodes I liked were the Trickster episodes. They also used Captain Cold, I believe.
ddf
Werehunter View Post
Well, I was only 12, so my memories of it are fond ones.

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old July 31st, 2013   Elias is offline   #18
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

Collider:
The CW President Mark Pedowitz Talks THE FLASH, SUPERNATURAL Spin-Off, Status of the WONDER WOMAN Series AMAZON, and More

Old July 31st, 2013   Mackaybear is offline   #19
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

The more about it I read the more impressed I am with these guys. They admit they have to make sure their plans don't conflict with Warner's plans but they seem intent on doing well by DC's Icons.

Better to rest Amazon until they feel it is 'right' for Diana. They seem intent on doing these characters without diminishing the status of the characters.

I watched my first episode of Arrow tonight and I was impressed and I'm not a huge fan of Green Arrow. But with Ollie this 'grounded' approach works great.

I may be old and crippled, but I ain't dead yet.
Old August 1st, 2013   mego joe is offline   #20
mego joe
Geoffan

Yeah. I enjoyed the 1990 Barry Allen series. Too bad CBS didn't give it much of a chance to succeed (they kept changing the air time all of the time and I always had to search for the episodes)

Also, back then, nobody stayed home on a Saturday night, so I don't know what CBS was thinking there.

They also didn't even use any of the Rogues until the very last episode with the Trickster (which was too little too late since it was already cancelled by CBS by then)
ddf
Mark MacMillan View Post
Nah David Cassidy was mirror master in an earlier episode also.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old August 1st, 2013   silverageflash is offline   #21
silverageflash
Geoffan

While I agree with you about Johns' overcomplicating Barry's origin, it struck me while I was watching Man of Steel that Johns' new backstory (barry is constantly running from the one crime he can't solve: proving his father's innocence) is pretty ideal for "grounding" the character in the nolan verse, which Arrow seems to take some cues from.
ddf
Sp33df0rc3 View Post
I would rather they, go against the whole back story that was developed for Rebirth and Flashpoint. The whole hero needs A tragic origin has been done to death and it's getting pretty depressing. Make Barry who he really is. A comic Book fan that loved science and wanted to help people and gained the powers of his favorite character and even got to meet him in real life.

Old August 1st, 2013   TJLamb0518 is offline   #22
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Nah David Cassidy was mirror master in an earlier episode also.
ddf
mego joe View Post
And they had a Captain Cold and even a kinda sorta take on a Reverse Flash.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old August 1st, 2013   Mackaybear is offline   #23
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

I would rather they, go against the whole back story that was developed for Rebirth and Flashpoint. The whole hero needs A tragic origin has been done to death and it's getting pretty depressing. Make Barry who he really is. A comic Book fan that loved science and wanted to help people and gained the powers of his favorite character and even got to meet him in real life.
ddf
silverageflash View Post
It's really even more simple than that. Barry was a cop through and through, given powers it was a natural thing for him to just become the Fastest Cop Alive.

I agree though, the hero having a tragic backstory is an old cliche that needs to die. I guess a person doing good because it's the right thing to do is too old fashion for now. Drama can be built up in other ways.

Old August 1st, 2013   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #24
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

ddf
silverageflash View Post
To be honest, what drew me to the Flash was just how unlike other heroes he really was. The first Flash comic I got was a back issue with the "menace of the man missile", and part of what struck me was just how strangely unique his "weakness" was: it wasn't a color or a magic rock or anything, it was simply that he was human and eventually even he would have to fall: http://comiccoverage.typepad.com/pho.../flash_144.jpg

I like the flash because he's not a tragic hero, he's an accidental hero who does the right thing with what he's given. Barry's a cop through and through, and Wally wanted to do nothing more than live up to Barry's ideals. Barry didn't ask for his powers, and Wally wanted them only to live in the world of his hero.

That's the real problem though, isn't it? The Flash isn't an orphan, he's not the last of his kind, he's not a flight-jockey with a chip on his shoulder. When you get right down to it, he's just an average joe.

Check out Pulpline Magazine for original prose content! Submissions welcome!
Old August 1st, 2013   5andman is offline   #25
5andman
Master Geoffan

I wonder if Arrow will reference Man of Steel?

It would be very VERY ambitious if WB combines the Movie and TV universes.

Old August 1st, 2013   Mackaybear is offline   #26
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

To be honest, what drew me to the Flash was just how unlike other heroes he really was. The first Flash comic I got was a back issue with the "menace of the man missile", and part of what struck me was just how strangely unique his "weakness" was: it wasn't a color or a magic rock or anything, it was simply that he was human and eventually even he would have to fall: http://comiccoverage.typepad.com/pho.../flash_144.jpg

I like the flash because he's not a tragic hero, he's an accidental hero who does the right thing with what he's given. Barry's a cop through and through, and Wally wanted to do nothing more than live up to Barry's ideals. Barry didn't ask for his powers, and Wally wanted them only to live in the world of his hero.

That's the real problem though, isn't it? The Flash isn't an orphan, he's not the last of his kind, he's not a flight-jockey with a chip on his shoulder. When you get right down to it, he's just an average joe.
ddf
Sp33df0rc3 View Post
Very well said, I agree with you totally.

And as an 'average joe' he's easy to relate to, as is Wally. No more is really needed. Just a man who found himself with powers trying to do the best he can to help others.

Old August 2nd, 2013   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #27
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

I wonder if Arrow will reference Man of Steel?

It would be very VERY ambitious if WB combines the Movie and TV universes.
ddf
5andman View Post
There have been rumors and talks about either making Stephen Amell the Green Arrow in Justice League or having Ryan Reynolds appear as Hal Jordan on Arrow, and everything in between.

While it would be incredibly ambitious, it would also be ridiculously convoluted. Some people complain that fans can't even deal with a 3 movie backstory for batman, how will some people feel going into a movie where one hero (not even one they might outright recognize) has a 4 season history behind him (by that point).

Flash and Green Arrow would have more depth and history to them than Batman and Superman combined at that point.

Still, I'd like it. Not my fault people aren't watching the right shows.

Old August 2nd, 2013   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #28
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

Very well said, I agree with you totally.

And as an 'average joe' he's easy to relate to, as is Wally. No more is really needed. Just a man who found himself with powers trying to do the best he can to help others.
ddf
Mackaybear View Post
:O

Do I get a no-prize because Mackay agreed with me??

Old August 2nd, 2013   Scott Mateo is offline   #29
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

And they had a Captain Cold and even a kinda sorta take on a Reverse Flash.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
And Nightshade name-dropped Gorilla Grodd "and his gang"

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old August 3rd, 2013   Mark MacMillan is offline   #30
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

Yeesh. A guy goes away for a couple of days and everyone jumps on one little comment he made a while ago.

Geez, sorry if my memory doesn't meet all of your standards. A lot has happened to me since I was 12 (geez I was clinically dead for a few seconds a week after my 18th birthday for crying out loud)

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old August 20th, 2013   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #31
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

I was thinking about it, and since he's out of TV work now, wouldn't Neil Patrick Harris be a good Barry? He was a great voice for him in New Frontier, and he could still pull off late 20s/early 30s. If he isn't a front runner, he should at least be under consideration.

Old August 20th, 2013   chrisbenes is offline   #32
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

IMO Mark Valley would be a great older Barry

SPOON!!!!

Independent George