The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old July 30th, 2013   jafabian is offline   #1
jafabian
Iím not dead.

Arrow The CW planning Flash TV series

From CBR: The CW Planning to Bring DC Comics' Flash to Television

Old July 30th, 2013   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #2
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

Well color me surprised.

I agree with the sentiment of the article; the flash was not who I expected them to pick, although if you think about his villains, they're generally simpler than, say, the typical Superman villain.

But it will be really interesting to see how he's used. Namely because it might indicate how he'll be portrayed in the movies.

Based on how Arrow was, I would be up for this.

Check out Pulpline Magazine for original prose content! Submissions welcome!
Old July 30th, 2013   Simon DelMonte is offline   #3
Simon DelMonte
Diehard DCU & Mets Fan

I wonder how they will introduce a metahuman into a world that hasn't seen any yet. Or will we get a much less super-fast Flash?

Given that Arrow slowly but steadily turned into a reliably entertaining, reasonably well acted series, I like the idea of launching spinoffs from it. I also would not be surprised if a Flash TV show harkens back to the gone-but-not-forgotten series from 1990, which was fairly dark and tried for a while at least to have one boot in reality.

Simon DelMonte
Old July 30th, 2013   WeirdoLegionnaire is offline   #4
WeirdoLegionnaire
Yeah, that's the ticket!

This is gonna be good - Arrow consistently surprises me with just how well-done it is.

Old July 30th, 2013   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #5
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

Eh. I don't know. I'll have to see and hear more before I get excited. I have heard too many times that we would see a Flash on the small or big screen. Not getting my hopes up. Especially because at one point David Goyer had written a script involving all three Flashes that probably would have been amazing. But...ya know...why trust the guy who wrote the Nolan Batman trilogy.

I also think it might be a mistake going with Flash at this point. They have yet to really find a modern voice for Barry Allen in the comics...I don't really see who he is at this point. I feel like it will be harder to interpret.

Looking to trade my single issues for the trade paperbacks. Inbox me if interested. Green Lantern, JSA, Avengers and many DC & Marvel books.
Old July 30th, 2013   chrisbenes is offline   #6
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

nice....I'm really enjoying Arrow as it continues to surprise me so I would be on board for a Flash show.

Looks like live action comic shows are starting to invade TV more now as well as the big screen.

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old July 30th, 2013   Werehunter is offline   #7
Werehunter
Master Geoffan

I have high hopes, though would rather have had a different Flash. Admittedly I wouldn't expect any Flash but Barry with Johns playing such a large role in bringing DC to other media.

Old July 30th, 2013   Mark MacMillan is offline   #8
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

I wonder how they will introduce a metahuman into a world that hasn't seen any yet. Or will we get a much less super-fast Flash?

Given that Arrow slowly but steadily turned into a reliably entertaining, reasonably well acted series, I like the idea of launching spinoffs from it. I also would not be surprised if a Flash TV show harkens back to the gone-but-not-forgotten series from 1990, which was fairly dark and tried for a while at least to have one boot in reality.
ddf
Simon DelMonte View Post
Yeah. I enjoyed the 1990 Barry Allen series. Too bad CBS didn't give it much of a chance to succeed (they kept changing the air time all of the time and I always had to search for the episodes)

Also, back then, nobody stayed home on a Saturday night, so I don't know what CBS was thinking there.

They also didn't even use any of the Rogues until the very last episode with the Trickster (which was too little too late since it was already cancelled by CBS by then)

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old July 30th, 2013   EmaHal is offline   #9
EmaHal

i hope:

-Arrow, Flash, Superman/Batman and Justice League Movie in the same Universe!

-Captain Cold

-introduce the new Hal Jordan in Arrow or Flash

-that "Ray and Jean" appear in Arrow and Flash

Old July 30th, 2013   Werehunter is offline   #10
Werehunter
Master Geoffan

Yeah. I enjoyed the 1990 Barry Allen series. Too bad CBS didn't give it much of a chance to succeed (they kept changing the air time all of the time and I always had to search for the episodes)

Also, back then, nobody stayed home on a Saturday night, so I don't know what CBS was thinking there.

They also didn't even use any of the Rogues until the very last episode with the Trickster (which was too little too late since it was already cancelled by CBS by then)
ddf
Mark MacMillan View Post
I bought the DVD of that series and it really didn't hold up well. At least for me. I remember enjoying it when it first aired and I was a kid, but not when I watched the DVD. The two episodes I liked were the Trickster episodes. They also used Captain Cold, I believe.

Old July 31st, 2013   jafabian is offline   #11
jafabian
Iím not dead.

More Details on The CW's Proposed Flash Series

I have mixed feelings. I'm happy to see any sort of super-hero property make it in Hollywood however considering the character I'm not sure if a TV weekly budget can depict the Flash properly compared to a movie budget and IMO if DC truly wants to eventually do a JLA movie wouldn't it be a better investment in that property to give their big properties the big screen treatment? That's the formula Marvel used to great success and it makes sense.

Old July 31st, 2013   thunderdude is offline   #12
thunderdude
Prince of Pizza!

You know what? I'm game for this Arrow is a good show. sure they will probably recast for a Flash or JLA movie but it sounds like a good TV team up

I love it when a plan comes together in the Multiverse!
Old July 31st, 2013   Elias is offline   #13
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

Collider:
Producers Andrew Kreisberg and Geoff Johns Talk ARROW Season 2, Introducing Barry Allen and His Superpowers, & THE FLASH Spin-Off
With the big announcement of the expansion of the Arrow universe to include Barry Allen, aka The Flash, in Season 2 of the popular series on The CW, executive producers/writers Andrew Kreisberg and Geoff Johns participated in a conference call with press to discuss what viewers can expect.
ddf
Christina Radish

Old July 31st, 2013   ronaldj is offline   #14
ronaldj
Supreme Geoffan

having becme a fan of the Arrow, this might work...

One day I'll be done with this, but for now, once more into the fray. Thom
Old July 31st, 2013   Mackaybear is offline   #15
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

I'm mostly very pleased with what I've read in that link. I admit I haven't been watching Arrow, but I think I may start now.

Only thing that bothers me is that John's is co writing the episodes, and he needlessly complicated Barry Allen's backstory in my Ursine opinion. Bu still other than those concerns I like what I've read. It's a good way to bring him in, start with a pre Flash Barry Allen, the police scientist. Get to know him as a person before he gets his speed. I give them many points for doing it that way.

I liked that idea that they want to render Barry's speed in a more realistic and 'grounded' way. Though I do want to wait til we see it and see how they do his costume.

I may be old and crippled, but I ain't dead yet.
Old July 31st, 2013   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #16
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

I'm mostly very pleased with what I've read in that link. I admit I haven't been watching Arrow, but I think I may start now.

Only thing that bothers me is that John's is co writing the episodes, and he needlessly complicated Barry Allen's backstory in my Ursine opinion. Bu still other than those concerns I like what I've read. It's a good way to bring him in, start with a pre Flash Barry Allen, the police scientist. Get to know him as a person before he gets his speed. I give them many points for doing it that way.

I liked that idea that they want to render Barry's speed in a more realistic and 'grounded' way. Though I do want to wait til we see it and see how they do his costume.
ddf
Mackaybear View Post
While I agree with you about Johns' overcomplicating Barry's origin, it struck me while I was watching Man of Steel that Johns' new backstory (barry is constantly running from the one crime he can't solve: proving his father's innocence) is pretty ideal for "grounding" the character in the nolan verse, which Arrow seems to take some cues from.

Check out Pulpline Magazine for original prose content! Submissions welcome!