The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Town Hall > ComicBlogs: The Voice of the People

ComicBlogs: The Voice of the People Everyone gets a blog, subscribe to others' blogs, get feeds, and more!

Old January 19th, 2013   Mark MacMillan is offline   #1
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

Default Somewhere to vent...

The last 2 months have been pretty hard on me and my family and I really needed some place to vent and just let loose a tiny bit.

So, to anyone who may be reading this, I'm just using this space to let off some steam because I figured this place is as good as anywhere else (so I don't expect anyone to actually respond to anything I'm posting here)

Anyway, here goes nothin'...

Over the last two months I've had to deal with the passing of my uncle, my father being in and out of the hospital with liver problems, and even my cat (who I had to finally put down yesterday) being diagnosed with feline leukemia.

On top of dealing with some of the problems and medical expenses that stem from my own disability, it's been a bit of a stressful time for me personally (which I don't need now after finally being mostly stable health wise for a good while now and getting over some of the more major health issues that were threatening my entire way of life that I think I already mentioned in a thread here a couple/few years ago)

I'm really in an awkward state of mind right now, but it's not something I want to talk to anyone close to me about, because I don't want to burden anyone with my problems (especially my friends and family) so I thought just putting some of my thoughts down here might help me sort things out for myself a little.

It was worth trying, anyway...

End ramblings.

-Mark

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old January 19th, 2013   Mackaybear is offline   #2
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

Mark, I'm sorry things have been so rough for you of late. I can only hope things do ease up for you soon. We're all here for you if you do need to vent.

You're very highly thought of around here and many here hope things ease for you as do I.

I may be old and crippled, but I ain't dead yet.
Old January 20th, 2013   Mark MacMillan is offline   #3
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

Thanks. I've always been a survivor by all accounts, so I should be able to ride through this, but it's just that sometimes when it rains it pours, y'know?

Anyway, I needed a different way to vent some personal frustration and since so many people seem to use these blog thingies to do that, I thought it was worth at least trying.

Thanks again.

Old January 20th, 2013   ronaldj is offline   #4
ronaldj
Supreme Geoffan

Hang in there let us be the shoulder to lean on and just listen……take care….

One day I'll be done with this, but for now, once more into the fray. Thom
Old January 30th, 2013   chrisbenes is offline   #5
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

Hey Mark keep your chin up. But remember close friends should be there if you need an ear.

Hope things start to look up for you

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old February 11th, 2013   Mark MacMillan is offline   #6
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

Hrrrrrm...

My father just died...

I just lost my Dad because the system FAILED to help him even though they were able to recognize his problems and had the chance to do something about it a month ago.

But, no.

The hospital could no longer keep him unless a bed was paid for and his insurance couldn't cover the monthly rate even with the money we could spare added.

My mom had to take him home and take care of him with the tiny amount of homecare his insurance was willing to cover along with the crappy ODSP check she was given.

Definitely wasn't enough (like we told them a month ago)

So FTW.... My Dad, Uncle and millions of others out there I'm sure, deserved better.

Old February 13th, 2013   zekeman1 is offline   #7
zekeman1
Master Geoffan

i am sorry for you lose. try to contact the local media. i don't know what legal rights you have in canada. i would sue the insurance company and the hospital. i forgot to add contact your local politicians.

bob

ben, does it have a hemi ?
Old February 14th, 2013   Mark MacMillan is offline   #8
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

i am sorry for you lose. try to contact the local media. i don't know what legal rights you have in canada. i would sue the insurance company and the hospital. i forgot to add contact your local politicians.
ddf
zekeman1 View Post
Thanks. Right now my family is working on Dad's last wishes and other arrangements.

The service is scheduled for this Saturday.

Old March 7th, 2013   chrisbenes is offline   #9
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

Hrrrrrm...

My father just died...

I just lost my Dad because the system FAILED to help him even though they were able to recognize his problems and had the chance to do something about it a month ago.

But, no.

The hospital could no longer keep him unless a bed was paid for and his insurance couldn't cover the monthly rate even with the money we could spare added.

My mom had to take him home and take care of him with the tiny amount of homecare his insurance was willing to cover along with the crappy ODSP check she was given.

So FTW.... My Dad, Uncle and millions of others out there I'm sure, deserved better.
ddf
Mark MacMillan View Post
Mark just saw this...So sorry for your loss....Hope your doing ok.

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old March 7th, 2013   Mark MacMillan is offline   #10
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

Mark just saw this...So sorry for your loss....Hope your doing ok.
ddf
chrisbenes View Post
Been better obviously, but my family is handling things well.

We're more looking for answers right now and trying to get help in order to get those answers through as many avenues as possible right now (both legally and socially)

What's sad is stuff like this happens to a lot of families everyday.

Old March 8th, 2013   chrisbenes is offline   #11
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

Been better obviously, but my family is handling things well.

We're more looking for answers right now and trying to get help in order to get those answers through as many avenues as possible right now (both legally and socially)

What's sad is stuff like this happens to a lot of families everyday.
ddf
Mark MacMillan View Post
It's sad really that things like this happen....I wish you and your family the best

For what it's worth just know he's in a better place. While I can understand wanting answers don't let it consume you. I'm sure he wouldn't want that.

Always here to listen

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old March 8th, 2013   Mark MacMillan is offline   #12
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

It's sad really that things like this happen....I wish you and your family the best

For what it's worth just know he's in a better place. While I can understand wanting answers don't let it consume you. I'm sure he wouldn't want that.

Always here to listen
ddf
chrisbenes View Post
Thanks. Means a lot to me right now. Thanks again.

Old March 8th, 2013   Mackaybear is offline   #13
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

I'm sorry that you lost your father that way, Mark. I was an ICU nurse for 26 years and I know how that goes. I've been medically retired since 2001. It was going on then but not as common as now.

The sad truth of Healthcare is that life or death can depend on what Insurance you're covered by.

I may be old and crippled, but I ain't dead yet.
Old March 9th, 2013   Mark MacMillan is offline   #14
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

I'm sorry that you lost your father that way, Mark. I was an ICU nurse for 26 years and I know how that goes. I've been medically retired since 2001. It was going on then but not as common as now.

The sad truth of Healthcare is that life or death can depend on what Insurance you're covered by.
ddf
Mackaybear View Post
You don't even know the half of it, man.

My Dad paid into this company healthcare insurance plan for over 32yrs before he took ill, only for the insurance adjuster he had denying a lot of his medical needs when it was their turn to pay.

Also, because my Dad was under a healthcare insurance plan, he wasn't eligible for a lot of the stuff Canada's universal healthcare provides.

So, a lot of people were passing the buck when it came to my Dad's medical needs and right now I feel that enough is enough and no other families should have to endure stuff like this.

Old April 24th, 2013   Mr. Wrong is offline   #15
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Hrrrrrm...

My father just died...

But, no.

ddf
Mark MacMillan View Post
I just noticed this thread (I rarely scroll down this far on the page)...

I'm very sorry for your loss, and even more sorry that it has to be complicated by the issues you mention. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old May 23rd, 2013   Alan is offline   #16
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

I just noticed it too (I also rarely scroll down this far) and send my heartfelt sympathies to you Mark (and of course Mackaybear too who is suffering as well).

I have to admit I thought Canada had a similar universal health care system as the UK so I assumed he would have been covered.

Over here the NHS is far from perfect but it still aims to treat everyone regardless of what they are suffering from. There have been a few documentary series on over here recently showing the work our NHS does and there are times when I am staggered at the lengths we go to to help our people. One of the surgeons made the point that the great thing about the NHS was that they were allowed to deal with every case without outside interference. If someone needs treatment they get it. There are financial constraints of course and they will only get worse in the current financial climate but I know my wife will get all the insulin she needs for her diabetes for no cost for the whole of her life. These things are seen as essential.

It breaks my heart when I read about the likes of Gene Colan and others who have to sell all their belongings to pay medical bills. No-one had to do that over here (you can choose to have private health care but it doesn't preclude you from NHS cover as you still pay for it through your taxes).

And Marks experience with insurance companies bears out what I have heard from a number of US programmes about the same subject. Watching Breaking Bad recently brings that home too, where people dying of cancer are expected to cough up $000's just to live.

These things make my blood boil. Hope you are doing better Mark and sorry I didn't notice the thread earlier.

Regards

Alan