The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Closed Thread

Old September 30th, 2011   Sentinel119 is offline   #1
Sentinel119
Supreme Geoffan

Default To Fellow Wally Fans

I am sorry to say that it is obvious that Wally West will not be back for the foreseeable future. I think that nothing that we do will change this. It is sad for me because Wally was my introduction to the DCU. I will always treasure the stories and reread them as much as I can. I think that it is time to stop fighting, arguing, and bickering. We need to leave it behind us and move on to something else to read. Personally that something else for me is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Transformers #81.

"Bible, Wrath of Kahn. What's the difference?"
Cyclops was Right
Old September 30th, 2011   Penny Dreadful is offline   #2
Penny Dreadful
At times dark, never grim

Never say never. DC tends to say one thing and do another ("Sinestro won't be in Rebirth," "Barry Allen isn't coming back"). Supergirl and Huntress returned after dying off in COIE, and I think it only took 2-3 years. Meanwhile, don't obsess over it. Just read what you like, move on, and never look back.

Old September 30th, 2011   J-Liv is offline   #3
J-Liv
Frappuccino Jedi

I think we'll see it, it'll just take awhile. If this new timeline is AT ALL similar to the old one, there's no way Wally could have been Flash at this point, because Barry only just met Iris. Barry has to meet Wally before Wally becomes Kid Flash, and Iris has to be in Barry's life before that can happen. I wonder how that reconciles with Bart not having been the first Kid Flash...

Yeah, this reboot really wasn't thought through entirely...

Old September 30th, 2011   Lee H is offline   #4
Lee H
Geoffan

Buccellato and Manapul have said that they don't want to leave Wally in the lurch, and would like to do something with him in their second year of The Flash. It's just a question of when DC will allow it.

I think we'll see it, it'll just take awhile. If this new timeline is AT ALL similar to the old one, there's no way Wally could have been Flash at this point, because Barry only just met Iris.
ddf
J-Liv View Post
They already knew each other in Flash #1.

Old September 30th, 2011   Kyer is offline   #5
Kyer
Sorry MkBear

As a disenfranchised woman who also was introduced to DC fandom through Wally...I reserve the right to bitch. It says so on my little wallet card right next to my Back Seat Driver card....which I paid a'plenty for:

Licensed To Bitch

gold trim painted, plastic coated and everything.

Sorry, a gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do.

(You can always hit the Ignore button.)

People had been working for so many years to make the world a safe organized place. Nobody realized how boring it would become. ~Palahniuk
Old September 30th, 2011   Kelson is offline   #6
Kelson
Neo Geoffan

I...kind of agree with both Sentinel119 & Kyer. DC Editorial has its mind made up, and nothing we say is going to change that. But at the same time, it doesn't make our opinions any less valid as long as we're not rude about it.

Sooner or later, you realize that Lucy is never going to let you kick the damn football.

Speed Force - Flash news and commentary
Old September 30th, 2011   BESTBUY is offline   #7
BESTBUY
Supporters

As a big fan of Barry, I have to say that this is really an unfortunate and unnecessary move that DC has made with Wally. Since the characters are younger, they should have established Wally as having been Kid Flash. And kept the franchise with the sense of Flash family that was once before.

Ray Palmer, Ronnie Raymond, Ralph Dibney, Dinah Lance in the JLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old September 30th, 2011   virtuadept is offline   #8
virtuadept
bye.

What is really annoying about the "reboot" is that it is a "selective" reboot. I mean, they only rebooted certain characters. Other characters, like "batman" and "Green lanern" supposedly still have their continuity intact. So whats up with THAT?

Why not reboot them all?

It just feels like they didn't have a clear plan of what it is they were trying to accomplish here.

- VirtuAdept - VACATION MODE. Apparently few here really like my posts. It was a fun few years. Catch you on the flip side.
Old September 30th, 2011   Kyer is offline   #9
Kyer
Sorry MkBear

What is really annoying about the "reboot" is that it is a "selective" reboot. I mean, they only rebooted certain characters. Other characters, like "batman" and "Green lanern" supposedly still have their continuity intact. So whats up with THAT?

Why not reboot them all?

It just feels like they didn't have a clear plan of what it is they were trying to accomplish here.
ddf
virtuadept View Post
As bad as that is...it's really worse. They've changed parts of the GL stories and we'll have no idea what's different until it hits you in the face like a pie going mach 2. Like did, or did not Hal go berserk and kill the Guardians? God and Bat fans only know what's going on over in the Bat books. Is Alfred now a busty maid like every other DC female? Ace the newest Robin? I wouldn't be surprised.

And is or is not Bart related to Barry!!!

People had been working for so many years to make the world a safe organized place. Nobody realized how boring it would become. ~Palahniuk
Old September 30th, 2011   JRM is offline   #10
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Frankly right now I mostly have a "don't really give a damn" attitude about the franchise. The whole situation has just left me with such a sour taste for now that I doubt much they do would appeal to me. Perhaps over time, the taste will pass - but the problem is when as soon as it has in the past - Dan seems to just open his mouth and stick an other pin in the eye.

Humm - how to stop the angst ... never, ever, EVER allow Dan near a mic to talk about this franchise. At one time or the other has has caused one group or an other to become totally pissed off and then the bickering starts.

But in conclusion - for now personally, I just need to let the concept rest for a bit.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old September 30th, 2011   FlashEarthOne is offline   #11
FlashEarthOne
Geoffan

And is or is not Bart related to Barry!!!
ddf
Kyer View Post
I believe Lodbell said in an interview that he is.

Old September 30th, 2011   Kyer is offline   #12
Kyer
Sorry MkBear

I believe Lodbell said in an interview that he is.
ddf
FlashEarthOne View Post
Yes, but closer to a "That's my boy!" sense or in a general Homo Sapien species Mankind sense?

Old September 30th, 2011   FlashEarthOne is offline   #13
FlashEarthOne
Geoffan

Yes, but closer to a "That's my boy!" sense or in a general Homo Sapien species Mankind sense?
ddf
Kyer View Post
His reference seems pretty obvious.

Old September 30th, 2011   Frankenstein is offline   #14
Frankenstein
Keyboard Warrior

I consider myself to be a massive Wally West fan. His series was one of the first comics I started reading with issue #5 back in 1987, and I never stopped reading it all the way to its conclusion a couple of years ago.

That said, I bought Flash #1 this week, and I LOVED it! I liked "Reborn", I liked the last 12 issues of Barry's series by Geoff, but the DCnU has allowed the character of The Flash (regardless of whether it's Barry or Wally under the mask) to get back to "basics" and just tell some good Flash stories.

I'm prepared to let go of Wally now. I still have all the old issues safely tucked away, and I have JLU on DVD. But I want to see where this new series goes, and if DC can make me love Barry as much as I loved Wally, then that's ok with me.

The best comics-related reviews on YouTube!

http://http://www.youtube.com/user/KapowComicBookShow
Old September 30th, 2011   jafabian is offline   #15
jafabian
I’m not dead.

Wally's absence from the DCU shouldn't be a surprise to DC readers at this point. DC said as much a long time ago. They're simply establishing Barry's return as well as the DCnU itself and then they'll slowly bring Wally back in.

Old September 30th, 2011   Savitar77 is offline   #16
Savitar77

Well, I'm NOT prepared to let Wally go! Why would I? Anything can happen in comics and I'll be waiting for his return even if I have to return him myself! I'm more of a Wally fan than a Flash fan! yeah, it sounds a little blasphemous, but it is the truth. The only connection to Barry I had was that he was my favorite Super Power action figure back in the 80s. Wally, on the other hand, I've read his life since 87. I even read the Teen Titans to see more of his teenage years and later on I've read the whole Barry Allen series in order to see what happened to Wally when he was a kid.

After 14 years DC just expect that I forget about my favorite character? why? This could've been a good year for comics (I'm not even sure this strategy is going to work in the long run) but it was a bad year for Flash fans, even worse for Wally's fans.

I'm really disappointed in DC, and I can't understand why the did what they did. Please explain it to me. Ok, so Wally had kids and that was the problem... so go back to the time when Wally had no kids. If you're going to retcon anything do that... I think bringing back Barry sounded like a good idea because of the Hal Jordan effect, WHICH IT WAS NOT THE SAME!

Kyle Rayner has his own comic book. Is that fare? Wally has bee around since 1959. He grew up in the DC universe and he won his place!

And don't get me started what they did with Superman

This is my honest opinion. I understand if some of you need to tell me that Barry, Manapul, and Buccelato are the greatest... It was an OK issue for me... and yeah I bought it, so don't tell me I'm not supporting DC and the industry. I just feel betrayed!

LONG LIVE WALLY!

Closed Thread