Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Justice League

Old August 30th, 2011   Chris D. is offline   #1
Chris D.
The Mogolicious Horseman

Default Justice League #1 Spoilers

The art is purty.

It's basically only Hal and Bruce for most of it

Hal is Hal and cocky as ever

Bruce actually takes Hal's ring off his finger while they're facing each other w/o Hal noticing until it's off. oookaaaay

DC is now Marvel in that everybody hates the superheroes and the authorities are after them

Vic is a high school superstar football player w/ daddy issues

Hal and Bruce go to see this Superman alien guy, Hal get cocky and launched through a wall and a few cars.

next issue Clark vs Bruce again for the first time.

honestly the feeling I had was kind of eh watching this being created all over again

Old August 30th, 2011   CmdrJBond is offline   #2
CmdrJBond
Problem Eliminator

Well, at his inception, Vic was a football and track star with Daddy issues (after the accident that caused him to become Cyborg).

Haven't read it yet, but this seems more or less like what I expected when I heard this was a story arc, based on the preview pages. Still looking forward to it, and I bet the payoff's good, but I wish there were more fireworks for the first issue of a line-wide relaunch.

If you can't convince them, confuse them
Old August 30th, 2011   John Casey is offline   #3
John Casey
Geoffan

The good: The artwork was good eye candy...

The Bad: Typical GJ buildup first issue....

The UGLY: This was supposed to have been THE book that sets the momentum for all the rest to come. It was really AVERAGE. We only get to see 2.5 members of the JL from the start. Would it have hurt to have made this an oversize 1st issue instead of the typical decompressed witting style? I would have loved to have seen for half of the book that the WHOLE JL were battling Darkseid in a big brawl; then have the flashback as to how this thing all started. Instead, we have your "typical" origin story.... Sort of like what we are going to see with a Rebooted Spider-Man movie this coming summer.

1st impressions are supposed to be lasting. For all the hype, I feel that DC could have done better than "Just Average"

Old August 31st, 2011   Scott Mateo is offline   #4
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

The UGLY: This was supposed to have been THE book that sets the momentum for all the rest to come. It was really AVERAGE. We only get to see 2.5 members of the JL from the start. Would it have hurt to have made this an oversize 1st issue instead of the typical decompressed witting style? I would have loved to have seen for half of the book that the WHOLE JL were battling Darkseid in a big brawl; then have the flashback as to how this thing all started. Instead, we have your "typical" origin story.... Sort of like what we are going to see with a Rebooted Spider-Man movie this coming summer.

1st impressions are supposed to be lasting. For all the hype, I feel that DC could have done better than "Just Average"
ddf
John Casey View Post
I really couldn't have said it better. It was a quick read. Geoff was my favorite writer for years, but ever since he started favoring art over dialogue and it even feels like he's going for a minimalist approach when it comes to dialogue. When I read a multi-issue arc from Brubaker or Gage, at least I feel like there's something I can take away from it and feel satisfied. This just felt like unnecessary padding and specifically written for the trade, something Didio promised would no longer happen. My buddy who bought it felt like he should have gotten something more out of it after paying $3.99.

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old August 31st, 2011   Mr. Kayak is offline   #5
Mr. Kayak
Geoffan

i agree with scott: the story too much diluted, it was definitely written for the trade. and in my opinion it wasn't that much of a story, too: i found it prettiy banal (see the cyborg storyline) and the characters almost sounded like caricatures, especially hal. also didn't like how they burned away from the start the identity of the villain. an average book, not bad but also not good. if it wasn't for the art it could have easly been a Jl fan fiction.

Old August 31st, 2011   handler313 is offline   #6
handler313
Geoffan

I really couldn't have said it better. It was a quick read. Geoff was my favorite writer for years, but ever since he started favoring art over dialogue and it even feels like he's going for a minimalist approach when it comes to dialogue. When I read a multi-issue arc from Brubaker or Gage, at least I feel like there's something I can take away from it and feel satisfied. This just felt like unnecessary padding and specifically written for the trade, something Didio promised would no longer happen. My buddy who bought it felt like he should have gotten something more out of it after paying $3.99.
ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
Except they said the first arc was 6 issues since it is the origin of the League. This has nothing to do with Didio's promise.

Old August 31st, 2011   Jake1823 is offline   #7
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

I thought it was quick, too, but there were a lot of new readers that really liked it. Rich Johnston, on his review, thinks that this might be more new-reader friendly than we suspect. I'm not a new reader, so I'm not sure how true that is.

Where is everybody?
Old August 31st, 2011   MattDiCarlo is offline   #8
MattDiCarlo
Threat or Menace?

Well that was a fine issue of Brave and the Bold!

Old August 31st, 2011   Werehunter is offline   #9
Werehunter
Master Geoffan

ddf
John Casey View Post
This really is my opinion as well. I agree that an oversized issue would have been the smart choice. This more then anything else, needed to be a home run. DC has been hyping up Justice League as one the big books to follow with the relaunch and it's first of the new books to arrive. So this would be one of the books any new costumers are going to try. And this is not going to make anyone who doesn't already read comics think that comics are a good deal.

Old August 31st, 2011   Whealer is offline   #10
Whealer
Multiverse refugee

yawn.... No, make that a huge yawn. I bought Justice League and took home a copy of Brave & Bold... And a dull one at that.

Don't tase me, bro.
Old August 31st, 2011   hoyatables is offline   #11
hoyatables
Mild-Mannered Attorney

Meh. Not a good start.

"Superhero comics aren't about rules. They're about flying." - Mark Waid
Old August 31st, 2011   Mr. Kayak is offline   #12
Mr. Kayak
Geoffan

I agree that an oversized issue would have been the smart choice.
ddf
Werehunter View Post
actually, this was an oversized issue. i counted 24 pages of story.

Old August 31st, 2011   Marky is offline   #13
Marky*
Flippa Dippa Horseman!

Justice League #1 read like a pitch for a movie version so it was very new reader friendly in that sense. Someone who has watched Nolan's Batflicks and the GL movie would be up to speed here.

Not hard to imagine Ryan Reynolds saying Hal's lines and Superman's suit being the same as the movie (no pants) isn't a coincidence in my opinion. Jim Lee must have been wise to the movie design or vice versa.

Just like the Green Lantern movie took alot from Geoff Johns' Secret Origin and Sinestro Corp etc it reads to me like he is getting in early with a spec script for the JL movie!

Darkseid as the big threat would be a sufficient enough threat for a movie also.

Wish this was an Ultimate line rather than the new DCU but once the origin stories are out of the way for Superman/JL etc then it will be back to business as usual pretty much I think. We're just getting some new origins for all the new readers that will apparently be flocking in.

Heroes Reborn 2: V Neck Boogaloo!
Old August 31st, 2011   RainKing is offline   #14
RainKing
Neo Geoffan

[quote=CmdrJBond;1726500]Well, at his inception, Vic was a football and track star with Daddy issues (after the accident that caused him to become Cyborg).

QUOTE]

Does anyone else think Cyborg's creation/origin is now going to tied to the Justice League?

Is this going to ret-con the Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans out of this new reality?

Old August 31st, 2011   Marky is offline   #15
Marky*
Flippa Dippa Horseman!

Does anyone else think Cyborg's creation/origin is now going to tied to the Justice League?

ddf
RainKing View Post
Johns has said that after the first Justice League arc it is left so Vic could join the Teen Titans from there IIRC.

Heroes Reborn 2: V Neck Boogaloo!
Old August 31st, 2011   JRM is offline   #16
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

[quote=RainKing;1726698]
Well, at his inception, Vic was a football and track star with Daddy issues (after the accident that caused him to become Cyborg).

QUOTE]

ddf
CmdrJBond View Post
Umm, for the most part isn't it basicly already gone?

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP