The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old February 14th, 2011   Nightwing826 is offline   #1
Nightwing826
The New Champion

Default Mr. Terrific is NOT the 3rd smartest person on Earth

I wouldn't really consider being the 3rd smartest man a great honor but even so, Mr. Terrific is definitely not the 3rd smartest and possible he may not even be on the top ten.

1. Bruce Wayne
2. Lex Luthor

Then we get into people like Dr. Sivana, Professor Ivo, Dr. Magnus, T.O. Morrow who have all created artificial life and Sivana did all that time energy stuff on Mr. Mind. Plus Dr. Niles Caulder who gave himself super powers and the stuff with Robot Man.

I would throw in Tim Drake who tried to bring Connor back even if it didn't work as well as Lex I still think its worth a mention. Along with Calculator, Dr. Chaos and Oracle.

I don't want to add Bart Allen because his smarts come with help from his Super Speed or any other charcters like that.

I am not sure if I am forgetting anyone but I think I got a good amount.

Just trying to see if anyone else agrees Mr. Terrific is or isn't the 3rd smartest.

The biggest Freddy Freeman fan.
Old February 15th, 2011   jafabian is offline   #2
jafabian
Iím not dead.

I wouldn't put Bruce Wayne up there. I think even he would say he's a detective, not a scientist. Luthor hires people to think for him. Or forces them to.

I'd say that Ray Palmer is probably the smartest person in the DCU. The man took a dwarf white star fragment and put it in his belt. Not everyone does that.

I never liked the story of Tim trying to re-clone Superboy. He has no training or education in that area whatsoever. He's still in high school! So for me I don't even consider Tim among this group. Doc Magnus definitely is up there, maybe at #2, with Rex Tyler (Hourman I) at #3 and Jay Garrick (Flash I) at #4. I'd put Lex at #5. For Lex his ambitions and obsession with Superman prevent him from going any higher on this list.

Other DC characters to consider are Cyborg, Steel, Professor Emil Hamilton, Dr. Kitty Faulkner and Dr. Sarah Charles of S.T.A.R Laboraties, Dr. Serling Roquette of Project Cadmus, Veronica Cale, Chang Tzu, Dr. Death, Mister I.Q. and Doctor Mid-Nite.

Old February 15th, 2011   Eric Q is offline   #3
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

I wouldn't really consider being the 3rd smartest man a great honor but even so, Mr. Terrific is definitely not the 3rd smartest and possible he may not even be on the top ten.

1. Bruce Wayne
2. Lex Luthor

Then we get into people like Dr. Sivana, Professor Ivo, Dr. Magnus, T.O. Morrow who have all created artificial life and Sivana did all that time energy stuff on Mr. Mind. Plus Dr. Niles Caulder who gave himself super powers and the stuff with Robot Man.

I would throw in Tim Drake who tried to bring Connor back even if it didn't work as well as Lex I still think its worth a mention. Along with Calculator, Dr. Chaos and Oracle.

I don't want to add Bart Allen because his smarts come with help from his Super Speed or any other charcters like that.

I am not sure if I am forgetting anyone but I think I got a good amount.

Just trying to see if anyone else agrees Mr. Terrific is or isn't the 3rd smartest.
ddf
Nightwing826 View Post
How is the smartest person being ranked? Overall knowledge, level of expertise in their specialty, accomplishments?

Considering some of the people you mentioned get their butts handled to them quite frequently, I don't know if I'd call them smart.

I agree with you on Tim, while he wasn't able to clone another Conner, he was able to make plenty of soylent green.

IMO, Mr. Terrific is smart guy, I'd consider him up there, at least above a schmuck who calls himself the Calculator.

If you want the answer to who'd be #1 on this list, it'd cost you a dime.

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old February 15th, 2011   Nightwing826 is offline   #4
Nightwing826
The New Champion

A dime, hmmm, I'd give you a dime for that.

Yes I know many of the people get beat but Dr. Magnus should be in the top 3 at least.

Old February 15th, 2011   ADGood is offline   #5
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

Look, we all know that intelligence is only marginally quantifiable at the best of times (and then in sort of a vague, "greater than, less than," kind of way), and that beyond a certain range, it ceases to be quantifiable in any meaningful way whatsoever. It is, therefore, fairly safe to conclude that anyone who refers to themselves as the, "Nth smartest person in the world," where N is any definite integer, is pretty much full of it. But we're talking about comic books here, and about men who go out in public wearing things like plastic numbers on their chests, big ant helmets or jackets with the words, "Fair Play," written on them. I would just as soon not be the one to call them on their respective fullnesses-of-it.

Old February 15th, 2011   Nightwing826 is offline   #6
Nightwing826
The New Champion

Look, we all know that intelligence is only marginally quantifiable at the best of times (and then in sort of a vague, "greater than, less than," kind of way), and that beyond a certain range, it ceases to be quantifiable in any meaningful way whatsoever. It is, therefore, fairly safe to conclude that anyone who refers to themselves as the, "Nth smartest person in the world," where N is any definite integer, is pretty much full of it. But we're talking about comic books here, and about men who go out in public wearing things like plastic numbers on their chests, big ant helmets or jackets with the words, "Fair Play," written on them. I would just as soon not be the one to call them on their respective fullnesses-of-it.
ddf
ADGood View Post
You make a good point, I don't know if I would put numbers or anything like that if I was one of them but yeah its comics, but this is part of what makes them fun.

Old February 15th, 2011   virtuadept is offline   #7
virtuadept
bye.

Geoff Johns is the smartest villain in the DCU.

- VirtuAdept - VACATION MODE. Apparently few here really like my posts. It was a fun few years. Catch you on the flip side.
Old February 15th, 2011   Wally West888 is offline   #8
Wally West888
Green Lantern's Light

I just think it is ridiculous that DC keeps calling him the 3rd Smartest that is just really takes away from Mr. Terrific's character and makes him lame really.

A Green Lantern Overcomes Fear Everytime They Face It!-Hal Jordan-Green Lantern

Don't Call Me Superman...Call Me Superboy!-Conner Kent-Superboy
Old February 15th, 2011   achilles140 is offline   #9
achilles140
Supreme Geoffan

It would have been Anarky. Anyone who can impress Darkseid, outwit Batman, and tame a demon lord, while outwitting the entire Justice League, including Steel, by having them stand right on top of his secret headquarters and not know it...

And make his own fortune. Build his own sentient computer. Build his own boom tube. Get Darkseid to talk to him instead of kill him on sight. Not only survive the Omega effect, but trap it and use it.

Puts him ahead of every other human on Earth. Oh, and mathematically predict a supervillain.

Old February 15th, 2011   JRM is offline   #10
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Smartest man in the DU = who ever Geoff and Dan decide it will be. But interesting this is about the smartest man ... not person - maybe that honour goes to a Woman - perhaps Babs Gordon ...

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old February 15th, 2011   ADGood is offline   #11
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

I just think it is ridiculous that DC keeps calling him the 3rd Smartest that is just really takes away from Mr. Terrific's character and makes him lame really.
ddf
Wally West888 View Post
Adopting the name, "Mr. Terrific," didn't do him any favors, either.

This whole, "smartest person," thing would have been a lot easier to settle back in the Golden Age, when they established that, "super-smartness," was one of Superman's powers.

No, I'm not kidding. They actually did that at one point.

Old February 16th, 2011   Wally West888 is offline   #12
Wally West888
Green Lantern's Light

It would have been Anarky. Anyone who can impress Darkseid, outwit Batman, and tame a demon lord, while outwitting the entire Justice League, including Steel, by having them stand right on top of his secret headquarters and not know it...

And make his own fortune. Build his own sentient computer. Build his own boom tube. Get Darkseid to talk to him instead of kill him on sight. Not only survive the Omega effect, but trap it and use it.

Puts him ahead of every other human on Earth. Oh, and mathematically predict a supervillain.
ddf
achilles140 View Post
Also he did fuse both sides of his brain together and can exist in the real world and Unternet at the same time as well. So I would give Lonnie/Anarky a great shot at being the Smartest Man in the DCU. (Though I don't understand how the General was able to do what he did to Anarky in Robin/Red Robin.)

A Green Lantern Overcomes Fear Everytime They Face It!-Hal Jordan-Green Lantern

Don't Call Me Superman...Call Me Superboy!-Conner Kent-Superboy
Old February 16th, 2011   jafabian is offline   #13
jafabian
Iím not dead.

If DC was allowed to use Peter Cannon, Thunderbolt he'd probably be the top dog in the DCU.

Old February 16th, 2011   Astro is offline   #14
Astro
Geoffan

It's true, Mr. Terrific isn't the third smartest man in the DCU.

But then, Bruce and Luthor aren't number 1 and 2, either. Not scientifically, at least.

Bruce, especially, has absolutely nothing to his name that can compete with the work of T.O. Morrow (far and away the dominant 'big brain' of the DCU), Professor Ivo (whose devices are capable of gaining omnipotence), Ray Palmer (who proves himself capable of understanding and defeating technology from the 853rd Century, that even Superman 1 Million was sure was unbreakable), Will Magnus (who creates, literally, synthetic souls, in a sense becoming God with a capital G), NIles Caulder (probably the single best record of any scientific hero), Dr. Sivana, etc.

Looking solely at scientific intelligence, and only at earthmen and women, I don't think Batman or Luthor would rank in the top ten.

In the case of Batman, at least, a case can be made that his accomplishments in fields outside of pure science make up the difference to some degree, but the same really can't be said of Luthor.

On the other hand, if one considers Luthor's Pre-Crisis material in continuity, he'll certainly win any such battle with ease. We're talking about an era in which he was making time machiens out of old radios and, in one instance, out of leftover cans of orange juice and tin foil and other such refuse.

I will say that Mr. Terrific, under Robinson, has gotten two notable pushes of deus ex machina intelligence, where as before he never did. First was creating a device to verifiably and definitively destroy Black Lanterns (not done by ANYONE during the entire run) and creating a device to counteract the workings of the Starheart.

But that isn't going to come close to T.O. Morrow's tesserects at the age of 14, or turning iPods into death rays or rewiring his prison TV to receive cable from the future.

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Check out my blog! Random assortment of thoughts, reviews, creative outflows, etc!
Old February 16th, 2011   Sentinel119 is offline   #15
Sentinel119
Supreme Geoffan

I think the problem is that everyone has trouble realizing that Mr. Terrific is not limited to one field of study. He holds multiple degrees in multiple fields of study and has the ability of having a natural talent for everything. I would say that if you limited him to just one subject area that he would end up lacking. But he is a renaissance man, those are extremely rare. Because of that I could say that he is the 3rd smartest man alive. I would say that Vandal Savage and Ra's Al Ghul would be smarter only because of their age. Vandal Savage would probably make a great history professor.

"Bible, Wrath of Kahn. What's the difference?"
Cyclops was Right
Old February 16th, 2011   virtuadept is offline   #16
virtuadept
bye.

Vandal Savage would probably make a great history professor.
ddf
Sentinel119 View Post
Sure, until he starts killing his students for their insolence.

- VirtuAdept - VACATION MODE. Apparently few here really like my posts. It was a fun few years. Catch you on the flip side.