The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Television, Movies and Animation

Television, Movies and Animation aka The Talkies!

Old January 10th, 2011   starks is offline   #1
starks
Geoffan

Default The Cape

I watched the 2-hour premiere last night & came away impressed. There were a few spots where they seemd to jump the gun a bit, but really it came off as a good super hero TV show. Liked all of the cast and look forward to future episodes (on Mondays).

Old January 10th, 2011   virtuadept is offline   #2
virtuadept
bye.

Watched it. Didn't really care much for it to be honest. I liked Heroes season 1 a LOT more. I'll probably still DVR it, I mean, its not like we have a lot of super hero on TV to pick from. But wasn't really all that impressed. I'm kind of doubting this show is long for this earth, but what do I know, I hated Friends too.

- VirtuAdept - VACATION MODE. Apparently few here really like my posts. It was a fun few years. Catch you on the flip side.
Old January 10th, 2011   MattDiCarlo is offline   #3
MattDiCarlo
Threat or Menace?

I liked it a lot once I decided to take it for what it is. It had a real Nightman or Deadly Games type feel to me, in that it was very aware of what it was and it wanted to have fun with it. It embraced the comic book elements in the same ways that Heroes or Smallville tries to hide them or act ashamed of them.

Was it as sophisticated as some other shows? No, but I had fun and there were some very clever bits (and Goliath) and for a show this cheesy that's all I asked.

Old January 10th, 2011   Greg Owens is offline   #4
Greg Owens
Up Top Horseman

I watched the first ten minutes and fell asleep. I'll have to give it another shot when I'm better rested.

"Nick, and I've told you this for years now, Greg is absolutely right."

Evilscratch
Old January 10th, 2011   achilles140 is offline   #5
achilles140
Supreme Geoffan

The writing was choppy at best, and the characters were confused and largely unlikable or believable. In the part of Orwell, I put that down to bad writing. For the Cape himself, and Chess---just plain old bad acting. Well, and some bad writing.

It was okay, I suppose, but nothing that makes me want to spend more hours of my life on it.

Old January 10th, 2011   RoseWilson is offline   #6
RoseWilson
Advanced Geoffan

I thought it was decent. Not great but probably worth watching depending on what day and time it's going to be on.

The story reminds me of the current Green Arrow arc actually quite a bit. Private corrupt military police and outlaw non powered hero. Orwell reminds me a lot of Oracle. The name is obviously a George Orwell reference but it also sounds kind of like Oracle and wonder if that's at all on purpose.

Can I ask why you'd give Summer Glau a pass on the acting? but be critical of James Frain (Chess) and the lead (can't remember actor's name) is it because of Firefly/Dollhouse/Sarah connor? I loved Firefly/Serenity and the other two shows were decent. I can't comment on the lead but James Frain played Oliver Cromwell on the Tudors and based on that I'd say he's a better actor than Summer is an actress(though she's cute as buttona and I like her quite a bit)

Old January 10th, 2011   ADGood is offline   #7
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

James Frain played Oliver Cromwell on the Tudors
ddf
RoseWilson View Post
No, he didn't.

Old January 10th, 2011   RoseWilson is offline   #8
RoseWilson
Advanced Geoffan

Thomas Cromwell sorry the more famous Cromwell came to mind first and the hand as I was typing.

Old January 10th, 2011   virtuadept is offline   #9
virtuadept
bye.

Summer Glau has proven she can act in FF/DH/TSCC. I mean, I wasn't that impressed with her in this show but I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. I don't know this other guy. I wouldn't say he was bad, but I will say that the whole concept of The Cape, the character itself, just isn't all that appealing to me.

- VirtuAdept - VACATION MODE. Apparently few here really like my posts. It was a fun few years. Catch you on the flip side.
Old January 10th, 2011   curiouswanderer is offline   #10
curiouswanderer
O'Brian Tallent

Something I would expect to find on a cable channel, not necessarily on one of the network channels. Little to cheesy. Over the top and poor acting. Substandard writing. I give it one season at best.

Havenplace Community Youth Center

My curiouswandering Space

Not all who wander are lost. ~JRR Tolkien
Old January 11th, 2011   virtuadept is offline   #11
virtuadept
bye.

Im hoping its just a slow starter. Willing to give it another few episodes to grab me

Old January 11th, 2011   HushedRuin is offline   #12
HushedRuin
of Positive Island.

Really? I liked it a lot. I thought it was a lot of fun. Loved that badass midget, Keith David was kinda awesome... Summer Glau looked GREAT. Liked the first part a little better than the second, but overall, I enjoyed it.

Really wondering if Chess' eyes change on their own or if he puts in lenses as part of his supervillain attire. I think they do that on their own, but I guess we'll see. It's an interesting enough spin on the usual crimelord thing.

half of The Infosiders with Arcademan...

oWt 4 LIFE.
Old January 11th, 2011   Amentep is offline   #13
Amentep

I thought it was dire - didn't even make it through the second half.

I hate the forced family drama - it draws away from the immediacy of the stories involving the main story conflict to be dragged away to see his wife and son reminicing.

And what kind of "best friend" decides to tell the wife what a bad guy her supposedly dead husband is? THe show implicates he's following Chess to protect his family but why would any of them be friends to that big a jerk?

Summer Glau's character has all the cliche's of "mysterious benefactor" and wasn't all that interesting.

I liked the Circus of Crime. I wish the show was about the Circus of Crime vs the corrupt police state.

One problem though, after the leader of the Circus is captured and the Cape helps him escape, why doesn't the authoritarian police state evil bad guys not just go in and destroy the circus?

The Cape himself was a series of cliche's and I disliked how after intense training and being the Cape he spends most of the episodes I saw getting his ass handed to him.

Sorry but no interest in watching further.

Old January 11th, 2011   chrisbenes is offline   #14
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

wasn't really impressed with the Cape. A bit too cheesy for me.

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old January 11th, 2011   virtuadept is offline   #15
virtuadept
bye.

When I think about it and compare it to Smallville ... ugh. No comparison. I know this guy is more Daredevil than Supes but writing wise, there just wasn't much there that didn't feel cliche.

Old January 12th, 2011   Scott Mateo is offline   #16
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

I got a Knight Rider vibe from all the times they said "One man can make a difference".

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis