The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old September 23rd, 2010   oddballuk is offline   #1
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

Default Action Comics #893 Discussion Thread (with Preview) - Spoilers!

Out September 29th, Lex's quest brings him face to face with Gorilla Grodd and Grodd is hungry!

Plus the beginning of a new co-feature starring Jimmy Olsen by Nick Spencer (Morning Glories, Shuddertown).

Preview at The Source: http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2010/09...rodd%E2%80%9D/

Also, the first chapter of the Jimmy Olsen co-feature is available to download and read via the DC Comics iPhone app and through Comixology.
Here for Comixology: https://comics.comixology.com/#/view...Preview%20#893

It's going to be tough to top Action Comics' Cornell/Lex and Spencer/Jimmy double act for awesome!

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old October 2nd, 2010   heffison is offline   #2
heffison
Lapsed Reader

That was a hoot. How long has Grodd been able to gain people's memories by eating their brains (which seems an odd approach for an ape with psychic powers)? And is this his first use of a combat...spoon?

(The best Ren Fest in the country features a show where the Duchess Spendalot puts on a grand dinner, and carries her giant fork throughout the show. Her fork against Grodd's spoon? Hmmm...)

Why can't Superman have a book that's as much fun as this or the current Bizarrogirl arc in Supergirl?

The Jimmy Olsen part was okay, but he doesn't seem like a guy I'd want to hang out with (liked him better in Supergirl, actually). Got awfully lucky with the alien invasion, didn't he? (I don't watch Smallville, so Chloe's just another character to me. Nothing too pushy about how she was introduced here, though.)

Old October 2nd, 2010   Foggy's Pal is offline   #3
Foggy's Pal

The last page of the Action feature was spectacular. Can't wait for next issue. I did enjoy the Jimmy backup. He had a little more personality than usual, not necessarily more likeable- just more personality.

Old October 2nd, 2010   Jake1823 is offline   #4
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

I don't think the last two issues have been as good as the beginning of this arc. Still, I liked a lot of this and I'm eager to see what happens with Lex and Death.

Still love the Olsen story.

Where is everybody?
Old October 2nd, 2010   5andman is offline   #5
5andman
Master Geoffan

Cornell is hitting it out of the ballpark!

I was really concerned (based on Superman 700) about the upcoming Action 900, but if Cornell is at the helm, I am looking forward to this!

The Jimmy Olsen co-feature is the first co-feature that works for me -- a great read.

I can't wait for next issue and worth the price tag.

Old October 2nd, 2010   oddballuk is offline   #6
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

Fantastic read!

Cornell's Grodd has to be one of the best takes on the character I've seen.
Brain chugging? Battle Spoon? "Hmm. Excuse me, I'll just -- GRONNNNK"?

FUN!

With this and the new Jimmy Olsen co-feature which was fantastic guarantees I'll be on this book until Cornell chooses to leave.

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old October 3rd, 2010   heffison is offline   #7
heffison
Lapsed Reader

Cornell is hitting it out of the ballpark!

I was really concerned (based on Superman 700) about the upcoming Action 900, but if Cornell is at the helm, I am looking forward to this!

The Jimmy Olsen co-feature is the first co-feature that works for me -- a great read.

I can't wait for next issue and worth the price tag.
ddf
5andman View Post
Uh-oh. What's supposed to happen for Action 900 ?

If it's a crossover with Superman, and keeps the wackiness of Action, then this could well be exactly what that book needs to overcome what "Grounded" has been so far.

Old October 3rd, 2010   oddballuk is offline   #8
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

Uh-oh. What's supposed to happen for Action 900 ?

If it's a crossover with Superman, and keeps the wackiness of Action, then this could well be exactly what that book needs to overcome what "Grounded" has been so far.
ddf
heffison View Post
Cornell has said he will be writing Superman at some point so either he'll take on both books once JMS has finished "Grounded", writes a third book that will join Action Comics and Superman or that Superman will return to Action Comics in issue #900 once the Lex story ends.

Personally, I'm enjoying a Luthor-driven book so much that I'm hoping its one of the first two options.

- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old October 4th, 2010   thunderdude is offline   #9
thunderdude
Prince of Pizza!

I really loved this issue. Though now I want to see Grodd fight the Tick Also liked the Jimmy story. Olsen showed more personality than he has in years.

I love it when a plan comes together in the Multiverse!
Old October 4th, 2010   5andman is offline   #10
5andman
Master Geoffan

Cornell has said he will be writing Superman at some point so either he'll take on both books once JMS has finished "Grounded", writes a third book that will join Action Comics and Superman or that Superman will return to Action Comics in issue #900 once the Lex story ends.

Personally, I'm enjoying a Luthor-driven book so much that I'm hoping its one of the first two options.
ddf
oddballuk View Post
I was really skeptical that a LL/Action book would be enjoyable. But, Cornell convinced me (hey, if it compels me to buy the next issue, that must be a good sign). His first issue of Action was a head-turner for me. The last time I remember enjoying a (new creator on an established book) moment like that was Azzarello's first issue of Hellblazer.

Cornell has my utmost confidence. Whereas, I've dropped JMS' Superman book from my pull-list.

Old October 4th, 2010   heffison is offline   #11
heffison
Lapsed Reader

I was really skeptical that a LL/Action book would be enjoyable. But, Cornell convinced me (hey, if it compels me to buy the next issue, that must be a good sign). His first issue of Action was a head-turner for me. The last time I remember enjoying a (new creator on an established book) moment like that was Azzarello's first issue of Hellblazer.

Cornell has my utmost confidence. Whereas, I've dropped JMS' Superman book from my pull-list.
ddf
5andman View Post
It's strange since I don't generally like to follow villains, but my two favorite books at the moment are this and Secret Six. In both cases, it is because the books are funny and, in spite of the violence and cruelty going on, somehow lighter than most of the main DC line. Yeah, I can see Morrison wanting to try a villain with a Combat Spoon in one of the Batbooks, but it would come off more grotesque than fun.

So, I guess "Knight and Squire" gets a look when it hits. I'm eager to see heroes be fun, as well.

Old October 4th, 2010   Neo God is offline   #12
Neo God
Geoffan

This book is epic win. The Jimmy Olsen feature just made it better than it already was.

Pull List: Action Comics, The Flash, Green Arrow, Superboy, Superman/Batman
Old October 5th, 2010   5andman is offline   #13
5andman
Master Geoffan

This book is epic win. The Jimmy Olsen feature just made it better than it already was.
ddf
Neo God View Post
Yes, the JO back up is gold too!

Never thought I would ever say that! LOL

Old October 6th, 2010   Hierarch555 is offline   #14
Hierarch555
Master Geoffan

I don't see what the fuss with Cornell is about. I haven't liked Action since he started. I did, however, love the Jimmy Olsen backup. I wish it was the feature.

Superman: "You can't predict the outcome of every action. You can't stop every injustice simultaneously. But you have to try, don't you?"
Old October 24th, 2010   Call Me El is offline   #15
Call Me El
Geoffan

Just read it. Both stories were great. Stll loving Robot Lois, too.

"I know nothing stays the same
But if you're willing to play the game
It's coming around again" - Carly Simon