The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old June 12th, 2009   oddballuk is offline   #1
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

Default Action Comics Annual #12 Discussion Thread (with Preview)

Out June 17th, find out the origins of the new Nightwing & Flamebird!

How did they meet?
How did they learn about Zod's sleeper agents?

Find out this, and more, in Action Comics Annual #12 by Greg Rucka and Pere Perez!

Preview at The Source: http://dcublog.dccomics.com/2009/06/...comics-annual/

Preview looks good and i'm looking forward to the rest of the annual.

A double dose of Rucka written Action in one month? Excellent!

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old June 12th, 2009   General grievous is offline   #2
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

Next is going to be a slow week for me comics wise but this should be good.

"There is a Grant, Morrison be thy name!"
Old June 17th, 2009   God-Man is offline   #3
God-Man
God-Man Don't Socialize

I thought this was a great issue. Rucka did a great job adding layers to the overall history of Krypton, Chris and Thara. Not all questions were answered (will we ever learn the reasons behind Chris' rapid aging? ) but I don't think they needed to be. I wonder now what's eventually going to happen to Chris and Thara, considering how this story mentioned how Nightwing and Flamebird always "end in tragedy". Can they have a happy ending?

Old June 17th, 2009   curiouswanderer is offline   #4
curiouswanderer
O'Brian Tallent

From the first time they introduced Chris' rapid aging, I have suspected that his story would end badly.

Havenplace Community Youth Center

My curiouswandering Space

Not all who wander are lost. ~JRR Tolkien
Old June 17th, 2009   God-Man is offline   #5
God-Man
God-Man Don't Socialize

From the first time they introduced Chris' rapid aging, I have suspected that his story would end badly.
ddf
curiouswanderer View Post
Yeah, they could easily write him off by having him die of old age in a very short period of time. But we'll see what happens.

Old June 18th, 2009   komikboy is offline   #6
komikboy

this issue made me care to Chris more then ever.

Old June 18th, 2009   Foggy's Pal is offline   #7
Foggy's Pal

I thought this was a great issue. Rucka did a great job adding layers to the overall history of Krypton, Chris and Thara. Not all questions were answered (will we ever learn the reasons behind Chris' rapid aging? ) but I don't think they needed to be. I wonder now what's eventually going to happen to Chris and Thara, considering how this story mentioned how Nightwing and Flamebird always "end in tragedy". Can they have a happy ending?
ddf
God-Man View Post
Yeah, not mentioning how he aged was odd. He mentions it but says there is no clear answer. I wonder if the writing team couldn't think of one....

Old June 18th, 2009   Neil Blumengarten is offline   #8
Neil Blumengarten
Beware My Power!

Location: Department of Heuristics And Research on Material Applications

Well, DC lately seems to use the "rapid aging" as a "cheat," without really explaining it well: Bart was rapidly aged with no explanation (and then had his youth caught in a 31st Century lightning rod), Superboy Prime was rapidly aged by the Multiversal energies (and then de-aged), and now Chris has been rapidly aged.

Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen. -Conan
Old June 18th, 2009   superfriend is offline   #9
superfriend
laughs at comics

the windup and the pitch...

if you're not into these two characters after this then this ain't the book for you. and if you're not into THe Origin of Nightwing and Flamebird then this also ain't the book for you, cuz that's what this was.

Nice Guedes cover too. sorta Gene Ha-esque.

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read

Entering the story with Black Zero's final run on Kandor was a good choice. I admit to not recognizing Ursa until she was introduced on page 3. but I was into it. Here we meet Thara's parents as badass members of Black Zero, the pride of the Kryptonian Army. (which was just like an army of humans at that time but it sounds really cool) and this happens to take place on the day that Black Zero, led by Commander Ursa herself, gets totally and utterly annihilated. The day Braniac came to town and added "the Bottle City of..." to Kandor's name.

so i mean, nice choice, right? i was into it till about the time they got ready to jump out've the carrier. then the visuals seemed to get a little disconnected from the script and maybe that was by design but it lost momentum for me there. The panel choices were a little odd at times too. the art wasn't polished but I'm familiar with Mr. Pérez's work. i say that to say i knew what i was getting into.

anywho then we get Thara's Story. living as an orphan in a traumatized Kryptonian city held captive in a bottle by a vacant captor they try and maintain the old ways of the guilds. thara goes military, like her family and lives for the day when Kandor rises up against Braniac and goes home again to Krypton.

then Braniac runs across Argo City, a Kryptonian city that escaped the destruction of Krypton by converting the city, in large part, into a space-worthy habitat. and he adds all of those Kryptonians to the Bottle City of Kandor. among it's inhabitants, Zor-El and Alura--Supergirl's mom and dad, Superman's aunt and uncle. they become like surrogate parents to Thara. and headbands...

oh, the headbands.

and then there's CHRIS. K'riss or Christopher Reeve-Kent, if you prefer. or maybe just plain ol' Lor-Zod. He's got these surrogate parents too: Lois and Clark. but he's stuck in the Phantom Zone after getting sucked back in at the end of Last Son, which he did nobly I might add. he's a good kid.

anyway, he gets aged from like 6 to 12, give or take. has some problems, Non helps and feeds and gives the kid a place to sleep.

Meanwhile, Thara ascends to chief of security when Zor-El and Alura become leaders in the Kandorian government. But she wrestles with a divine calling and has a religious vision of the Flamebird and is then taken into the Religion Guild, as is their right, and has dreams and visions about being a Flamebird without a Nightwing.

between beatings, Chris stumbles onto some Braniac tech Zod has lying around, in the form of a headband--and Chris breaks through to Thara--with a Braniac headband. So Thara puts on her headband and goes to the Phantom Zone and rescues Chris and now they are the fabled Nightwing and Flamebird.

serious stuff.

i enjoyed it.

observe everything, admire nothing
Old June 18th, 2009   heffison is offline   #10
heffison
Lapsed Reader

Does this mean Chris and Thara are SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
reincarnated Kryptonian deities?

Old June 18th, 2009   oddballuk is offline   #11
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

ddf
heffison View Post
There's enough hints that it could be so or it could be a delusion on Thara's behalf.

That opening sequence with Thara's parents was brutal!
Ursa's reaction to the Brainiac attack was particularly interesting.

I did enjoy the annual. We got to delve into Thara and Chris' upbringings quite well and I was espeially touched with the development of Non especially in his relationship to Chris.

I expect that will pay off in future storylines.

I also really liked the extra insight we got into the Religious order of New Krypton. Very interesting.

Good job, good annual.

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old June 18th, 2009   God-Man is offline   #12
God-Man
God-Man Don't Socialize

ddf
heffison View Post
I finally realized what this story reminded me of: Nightwing and Flamebird are the kryptonian equivalent of Hawkman and Hawkgirl.

Old June 18th, 2009   Rucka is offline   #13
Rucka
Premier

D'oh!

Hadn't even considered that, though I suppose that's a fair comparison.

We'll see how it all plays out....

Old June 18th, 2009   DRMOUSE2814 is offline   #14
DRMOUSE2814
Beta Lantern

My LCS didn't get the Annual. Just a place holder on the shelf.. something to look forward to next week.

Old June 18th, 2009   ajohns2012 is offline   #15
ajohns2012

Default So Chris Was in the Bottle?

Although it's never explicitly stated, it seems like Thara rescued Chris prior to Superman getting the Kandor bottle away from Brainiac. I guess it could be explained away by the "Phantom Zone effect", but doesn't that imply that Thara was restored to normal size when she went into the Zone, and she and Chris shrank when they went to Kandor? Just a random thought...

A Johns

No relation
Old June 19th, 2009   heffison is offline   #16
heffison
Lapsed Reader

Although it's never explicitly stated, it seems like Thara rescued Chris prior to Superman getting the Kandor bottle away from Brainiac. I guess it could be explained away by the "Phantom Zone effect", but doesn't that imply that Thara was restored to normal size when she went into the Zone, and she and Chris shrank when they went to Kandor? Just a random thought...

A Johns
ddf
ajohns2012 View Post
So clearly this is associated with the Boom Tube technology that altered the size of people traveling between Earth and New Genesis/Apokolips.

More likely it is a mystery of the nature of the Phantom Zone that will never be explained.