The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old April 28th, 2009   joesmallville is offline   #1
joesmallville
Neo Geoffan

Default Mulitiversity by Grant Morrison

The new Wizard (in shops Wednesday) has an interview with Grant Morrison and he reveals that his Multiverse project is called Multiversity

It is a seven issue series (more like seven one-shots, since all the issues will be #1) that will showcase the major superhero group of 7 Earths. Each issue will focus on 1 group and also have a series "bible", that provides the back story to that particular Earth. The issues will tie together to tell a single story "that reimagines the relationship between the DCU and the Multiverse"

He talked about the Charlton Universe specifically saying that he is writing it as if Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons had pitched Watchmen today, using the contemporary political climate but with the actual Charlton characters.

He also hinted at a "Marvel Family" from Earth 5 issue intended as an all-ages book.

He said that he wants this to be his best story ever so he is going to take all the time he needs to write the seven issues.
Last edited by joesmallville; April 28th, 2009 at 02:23 AM.

Old April 28th, 2009   Eric Q is offline   #2
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

Sounds good to me, I'm sold. I hope we get to see Earth 10, I'm really interested in that one.

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old April 28th, 2009   Wally West888 is offline   #3
Wally West888
Green Lantern's Light

Can't wait to see it, it looks like it'll be awesome especially Earth-5 I also can't wait to see Earth-3.

A Green Lantern Overcomes Fear Everytime They Face It!-Hal Jordan-Green Lantern

Don't Call Me Superman...Call Me Superboy!-Conner Kent-Superboy
Old April 28th, 2009   oddballuk is offline   #4
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

Sounds cool, though I was hoping for a series of minis rather than one shots (similar to Seven Soldiers) but this is still good and I suppose there is always a chance the project can expand.

I'm hoping we get to see a Doc Fate story in there.

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old April 28th, 2009   Justin is offline   #5
Justin
Supreme Geoffan

Hell yes! I'll be getting every one of these books.

Personally, I'm hoping to see Earth-51, but maybe it's too early for that.

"The truth, however shocking or uncomfortable, in the end leads to liberation and dignity." - Ricky Gervais
Old April 28th, 2009   leonmallett is offline   #6
leonmallett
comics fan

Despite my dislike of the execution of FC (but that was as much to do with the plethora of tie-ins and the event cycle issue as anything else) I am really interested in this.

The new 52 - probably not for me...
Old April 28th, 2009   Justin is offline   #7
Justin
Supreme Geoffan

I also hope a Hercules Unbound style art is featured. I always liked that concept--mythic hero in a sci-fi wasteland.

"The truth, however shocking or uncomfortable, in the end leads to liberation and dignity." - Ricky Gervais
Old April 28th, 2009   oddballuk is offline   #8
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

I hope DC will be able to schedule some old Morrison favourites into doing the art for these specials like Frank Quitely, J.H. Williams III, Doug Mahnke and J.G. Jones.

Of course, schedule them so that they can fit around the schedules some artists have on other books (Williams III on 'Tec, Mahnke on GL) and have them in the can before soliciting them!

I'd love to see a Quitely drawn Earth-5 story, Jones on Earth-51 (New Gods), Williams III on Earth-4 (Charlton Heroes) etc...

Wouldn't mind seeing more of Earth-10 (Overman's Earth which has the Freedom Fighters too right?) and whichever world featured the Superdemon character.

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old April 28th, 2009   comixster is offline   #9
comixster

Can't help but get excited for this

Old April 28th, 2009   wvdrums is offline   #10
wvdrums
Advanced Geoffan

I just wish it was 52 issues! lol

"Going cold turkey isn't nearly as delicious as it sounds." - Homer J. Simpson

Myspace
Old April 28th, 2009   Matt Petersen is offline   #11
Matt Petersen
Neo Geoffan

Alright!! Now I can actually look forward to something that Grant Morrison writes!!
I always love a good alternate reality story so this should be a treat!!

"Zoology eh? That's a big word, isn't it." "No, actually it isn't," said Tiffany. "Patronizing is a big word. Zoology is really quite short."”
Old April 28th, 2009   leonmallett is offline   #12
leonmallett
comics fan

I hope DC will be able to schedule some old Morrison favourites into doing the art for these specials like Frank Quitely, J.H. Williams III, Doug Mahnke and J.G. Jones.

Of course, schedule them so that they can fit around the schedules some artists have on other books (Williams III on 'Tec, Mahnke on GL) and have them in the can before soliciting them!

I'd love to see a Quitely drawn Earth-5 story, Jones on Earth-51 (New Gods), Williams III on Earth-4 (Charlton Heroes) etc...

Wouldn't mind seeing more of Earth-10 (Overman's Earth which has the Freedom Fighters too right?) and whichever world featured the Superdemon character.
ddf
oddballuk View Post
I'd love to see those artists, but with Mahnke doing the Earth 4 book, Quitely on the Earth 51 books, and Jones on Earth 10 (Earth X?).

I wonder which 7 earths will be seen? And is this DC finally dipping a toe in the water to see if any have legs?

Odd as it may seem, I hope there is a differentiation in the trade dress to show that this isn't the main DCU (as with Wildstorm and Tangent).

The new 52 - probably not for me...
Old April 28th, 2009   stephbarton v.2 is offline   #13
stephbarton v.2
You can't see me...

He talked about the Charlton Universe specifically saying that he is writing it as if Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons had pitched Watchmen today, using the contemporary political climate but with the actual Charlton characters.
ddf
joesmallville View Post
don't really like the sound of this, just because I would be more interested in a fresh look at the Charlton characters and exploring them for what they're worth rather than getting hung up on the fact that they were almost in Watchmen, besides, current political commentary with current heroes has been done before. I'll wait and see, it can be good, but the initial description disappoints.

He also hinted at a "Marvel Family" from Earth 5 issue intended as an all-ages book.
ddf
joesmallville View Post
This makes me happy, but I'll still wait and see (I've learned to never be too optimistic when it comes to the Marvel's and DC). The fact that he doesn't want to darken it up is good, but I don't want screwball goofball stuff with the Marvels either. But again, cautiously optimistic on this one.

Originally stephbarton (hence the v.2)
Old April 28th, 2009   PyroTwilight is offline   #14
PyroTwilight
Supreme Geoffan

I want to see the Batman Beyond Verse, Lord Havok verse, as well as the E-16 Chirs Kent's world particularly.

Old April 28th, 2009   Hamish Campbell is offline   #15
Hamish Campbell
Geoffan

Sounds very cool (as an aside I've always wondered what Watchmen would have been like if they had gone with the original characters, can't wait to see what Grant does with them).

Old April 28th, 2009   Doug Zawisza is offline   #16
Doug Zawisza
Most Excellent Superbat

I like the title. I love the concept. I just hope DC has the patience enough to let this book come together completely before releasing it.

Of course, with seven different #1 issues, this may lend itself to seven different artists.