The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics > Green Lantern

Old July 9th, 2005   Impulse is offline   #1
Impulse
Don't call me Kid Flash!

Default Would Kyle be best away from the Corps?

Would Kyle be better served as a character if he followed in Alan's footsteps as a solo Green Lantern, largely unconnected to the Corps? A lot of Kyle fans find the character works better in Earth-based stories than those in space <personally, I liked a lot of Kyle-in-space stories, especially his first journey early in his tenure as GL> and if he was apart from the Corps, having him on Earth would avoid the "Too many GLs in one sector!" argument.

I think the groundwork for this is already there - it's a matter of anyone picking up the story elements & running with them. Kyle's ring is unique amongst the Corps, tied to him genetically from the beginning and, as a result of his time as Ion, now with a permanent residual charge & auto-return function. He also developed a strong friendship with and admiration for Alan <though I don't think they've met since Kyle & Jennie split up>. Finally, there have been hints that Kyle won't take to obeying the orders of the Guardians; he's already had to talk his way around the newly restored A.I./directives in his ring over in Rann/Thanagar War.

With all these factors, I can see Kyle going solo, retaining 'honourary' Green Lantern status with the Corps in gratitude for past services <after all, there'd be no Guardians, Central Battery or Hal without Kyle>, and forging ahead as an independent GL.

Any thoughts?

Old July 9th, 2005   greenflameuk is offline   #2
greenflameuk
What Would Jack Bauer do?

I've always liked the idea that someday when Alan dies Kyle would be a good choice to replace him, Judd did a good job of showing there friendship in #140, but until then i like having him in the Corps but not based on earth, the occasional trip to earth would be ok but i think space fits his character better.

Listen To The iFanboy Pick Of The Week Podcast!!...It's Grrreat!!.
Old July 9th, 2005   Lundonj is offline   #3
Lundonj
Haggard Horseman

I guess I need to see how GLC: Recharge plays out. I think Kyle could certainly be interesting in either setting, solo or a GLC member.

In the R/T War, I think the first test is how the Guardians will react to his initiative during the investigation, taking him far from his original assignment. If he gets hammered for doing the right thing, then that could certainly set the stage for a rough and tumble relationship in the GLC series.

Although, he carried the literal green torch for a while and set the foundation for the return of the GLC. He may stick around long enough to enjoy the results of his hard work or want to help the rebuild/recharge of something on this grand scale...7,200 GLs.

-Don

By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth. -- George Carlin
Old July 9th, 2005   Astroape2000 is offline   #4
Astroape2000
Heretic Hammer Horseman

I think Kyle should be a full fledged member of the GLC. I don't see th Guardians allowing one of the most powerful weapons in the universe being used by a free agent. Sure, he towed the line by himself for awhile. Now it's time for him to fall in place.

Old July 9th, 2005   Travesty is offline   #5
Travesty

Location: On a chair. With small wheels. In a very small country.

wasn't he the one who was trying to revive the corps, not walk away from it?

Old July 9th, 2005   ConnorFan is offline   #6
ConnorFan
aka Alex Violette

I am thinking this close to Crisis anything can happen... personally I would have prefered it if they had gone with the Alan tradition from the get go, and I would love to see Kyle in that tradition now. I am not crazy about the fall in line concept because it is too easy for a writer to go from that to generic especially when Kyle isnt the star of the book, and frankly generic was very much what Raab was about, and that killed kyle sales.

With that being said I think Gibbons is doing a good job with Kyle so far and it might work out I am still wary but there is some optimism here as well. So long as the stories are good which includes Kyle being Kyle then I am okay with either tradition, though I think the Alan earth bound tradition is the easier one to write kyle based stories from.

Old July 9th, 2005   Ryster is offline   #7
Ryster
Master Geoffan

Kyle is a penical for what the new GLC is all about. He faced fear and conquered it. He was the last Green Lantern left after everything with Paralax. He has little for him on Earth still. He is techincally Kilowog with out the major taskmaster feeling.

Ryster
Old July 9th, 2005   Jeffrey Neary is offline   #8
Jeffrey Neary
I love it!!!

Since he kept the corp from dying all these years...helped bring Hal back....restored the Guardians and powered the Central battery..worked with Ganthet..Gave John back his ring...It seems like hes already part of the Corp.

Now..if his powers were based on Magic..then yes..he should be solo with Alan..but his powers are based on Science..and they emerge from the Guardians and the Battery.

You ought to stop making assumptions and thinking the worst about people you don't know, and situations you aren't in a position to understand

-EVS
Old July 9th, 2005   ConnorFan is offline   #9
ConnorFan
aka Alex Violette

Since he kept the corp from dying all these years...helped bring Hal back....restored the Guardians and powered the Central battery..worked with Ganthet..Gave John back his ring...It seems like hes already part of the Corp.

Now..if his powers were based on Magic..then yes..he should be solo with Alan..but his powers are based on Science..and they emerge from the Guardians and the Battery.
ddf
Jeffrey Neary
If I am understanding you correctly... if alan gave Kyle a ring either as a dying wish or just a desire to pass on what he knows then its cool but not if Kyle still wields his current ring as is?

Old July 9th, 2005   PeterCool is offline   #10
PeterCool
Pete DiMitri

I think in order to do that, his origin basically needs to be redone. Unlike Alan, his ring is an artifact of the Guardians. It seems unlikely that he can have nothing to do with the Corps and still have one of their rings.

That was always a problem I saw with the origin. He really can't be a free agent once the Corps is back.

Infinite Crisis does provide the opportunity (maybe) to somehow differentiate the ring and origin (although people might get upset over that).

"You've got to be smart if you're fooling yourself"

-- Aimee Mann
Old July 9th, 2005   Lundonj is offline   #11
Lundonj
Haggard Horseman

I think in order to do that, his origin basically needs to be redone. Unlike Alan, his ring is an artifact of the Guardians. It seems unlikely that he can have nothing to do with the Corps and still have one of their rings.

That was always a problem I saw with the origin. He really can't be a free agent once the Corps is back.

Infinite Crisis does provide the opportunity (maybe) to somehow differentiate the ring and origin (although people might get upset over that).
ddf
PeterCool
My sense of Kyle's origin is that he was always the Last Lantern Standing, as a rep of the GLC. He had to set his own learning curve and guidelines, but I like how he generally built toward something more, especially at the end of the Ion arc. There was the run with the "New Corps" of sorts and returning Kilowog, handing the extra ring off...each was a step in this direction toward the GLC.

All that said, I can imagine scenarios that could make sense for him to walk away or look to another source of power -- since he was alone most of the time.

Good point about the ring. Even if Kyle gets a bad vibe from the Guardians, Oa doesn't allow free agents wearing their rings. Not for long anyway. So, he'd almost have to seek out the Starheart or a yellow ring or something else.

My guess is, he will find a place, at least for the short term, among the GLC. Compared to all the rookies they will be bringing in, his GL experience should prove invaluable.

-Don

By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth. -- George Carlin
Old July 9th, 2005   starks is offline   #12
starks
Geoffan

Let him reside on Mogo (I envision it as a GLC base of operations/training facility) and let him help train the new recruits along w/ Rakar & Kilowog. If a problem arises in whatever sector, let him be a problem solver (along w/ whatever GL is patrolling that sector).

Old July 9th, 2005   The Kid Lantern is offline   #13
The Kid Lantern
They call me Mason....

I think I read Gibbons comments on Kyle somewhere or maybe it was in a Wizard, anyway it said that at his soul Kyle wasn't just another GL, Kyle was a hero. I think that sticks with who he is, who the character could develope into. I think Kyle is close enough with Ganthet [as well as any other Kinder-Guardians now older in age] to request a small amount of power if he chooses to step down as an active GL. One of the things that the Guardians done wrong with Hal was turning on him when he needed power. Kyle proved he could hold the residual powers of Parallax and Oblivion, so a basic energy powered hero a step down from Ion could work.

However I think Kyle's current standing is alright in the Corps, so long as the stories are top quality. I'm pumped for RECHARGED, its the "One Year Later...." I question when it comes to the GLU....

But don't get me wrong, I want Kyle to return to Earth sooner than later also. Kyle's human appeal was what brought in a lot of his fans!

~KL~

I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world....
Old July 9th, 2005   Jeffrey Neary is offline   #14
Jeffrey Neary
I love it!!!

If I am understanding you correctly... if alan gave Kyle a ring either as a dying wish or just a desire to pass on what he knows then its cool but not if Kyle still wields his current ring as is?
ddf
ConnorFan

Not quite.

IF ET involved Parallax truly destroying the Corp and on earth Alan made Kyle his protege giving him a ring that harnessed Magic...then the history of Kyle (looking back from the present moment) would reflect one that is based on the Magical side of the GL Franchise...therefore Kyle would not fit into the Corp.

However...factoring all the elements of Kyle's history as I listed above...It doesn't make sense to detach him from the Corp just to be something separate.

IF Kyle was given Alan's ring at this point..it would be interesting..but it wouldn't make much sense. He already has a ring.

You ought to stop making assumptions and thinking the worst about people you don't know, and situations you aren't in a position to understand

-EVS
Old July 9th, 2005   Can1 is offline   #15
Can1
Supporters

I'd like to see him stay truer to his original concept .. be his own man apart from the GLC .. but not adversarial

Buy what you like and you will never be disappointed!!
Old July 9th, 2005   Jeffrey Neary is offline   #16
Jeffrey Neary
I love it!!!

Um....being a part of the corp is his "original concept" He kept the corp alive. He was the last member of the Corp.

-EVS