The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old December 24th, 2008   General grievous is offline   #1
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

Default Questions for Matt sturges and Bill willingham

As suggested by matt in the blue beetle Thread, can we have a new question Thread here now that he is writing the JSA?

I guess JSA subforum will be eventually moved down below with all the other Non Geoff written stuff so that's cool.

3 easy questions to kick things off:

1. Matt, are you excited to writing one of the most respected and oldest superhero teams in comics?

2. how big will the first arc be?

3. Do you guys have any new bad guys created or will you use some established JSA villains to get the ball rolling?

Thanks for all your time Matt and Congrats again, I look forward to trying out your first issue.

"There is a Grant, Morrison be thy name!"
Old December 24th, 2008   MattSturges is offline   #2
MattSturges
professional

As suggested by matt in the blue beetle Thread, can we have a new question Thread here now that he is writing the JSA?

I guess JSA subforum will be eventually moved down below with all the other Non Geoff written stuff so that's cool.

3 easy questions to kick things off:

1. Matt, are you excited to writing one of the most respected and oldest superhero teams in comics?

2. how big will the first arc be?

3. Do you guys have any new bad guys created or will you use some established JSA villains to get the ball rolling?

Thanks for all your time Matt and Congrats again, I look forward to trying out your first issue.
ddf
General grievous View Post
Okay, let's roll. Thanks for your questions.

1. Where to even begin with this? There are a lot of reasons that writing JSA is a dream job for me. I've been a fan of Geoff's run for years, and the book contains some of my favorite characters in comics: Dr. Mid-Nite, Power Girl, and the classic trio of Alan, Jay and Ted. To have the opportunity to work on the only team of Mystery Men with a history dating back to WWII is an enormous honor and more than a little humbling. So one that I hope you'll see is that we understand these characters and that they're in good hands.

2. The first arc is explosive and has enormous, long-term consequences for the team. Is that big enough?

3. Both. You're going to see some well-established JSA villains showing up in the not-too-distant future, as well as some that Bill and I have created along the way. And there'll be a couple of new heroes as well, because the team isn't quite big enough right now...

I hope people will give it a chance. I have a great love for these characters and have every intention of both honoring their past and finding them fresh new challenges to face. I can't speak for Bill, but I'm pretty sure he'd agree with that.

Old December 24th, 2008   achilles140 is offline   #3
achilles140
Supreme Geoffan

Now see, THAT'S just the sort of thing I think most JSA fans want to hear!

Old December 24th, 2008   Gremlin is offline   #4
Gremlin
Mischievous sprite

Oh my god, I absolutely love Fables!!!! Gremlin melts into a Geeky puddle...

Grem-

Old December 24th, 2008   Gremlin is offline   #5
Gremlin
Mischievous sprite

Don't forget Rex is alive as well!!!

Old December 24th, 2008   michealdark is offline   #6
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

1. Will we be seing Power Girl taking a more active role as leader of the team?

2. How closely will you guys be working with Jimmy and Justin to make sure events in PG and JSA line up?

http://www.fanfiction.net/~mikedark2-My FF.net account,w/my TT fanfics
http://www.myspace.com/mymindseye-My music project's page.

RIP Tara
Old December 24th, 2008   digitalsouljah36 is offline   #7
digitalsouljah36
Neo Geoffan

What is your favorite storyline from Geoff's run?

Old December 24th, 2008   Astro is offline   #8
Astro
Geoffan

Matt

I think, at this point, you're primarily known as a character writer. Your Jack of Fables work is great, your House of Mystery work is wonderful, and your Blue Beetle is pitch perfect.

But a book like the JSA is, more than any book you've written before, about big bombastic action. Threats to the world, the universe, foes that hide in time or rule parallel universes.

Big, high concept evil and wrath, basically, rather than the more down to earth stories we have seen from you (Day of Vengeance, by Willingham, is arguably what I'm talking about here, but his/your Shadowpact was a fair bit more grounded).

Do you plan on bringing that scope, that level of danger and power, to the title?

Old December 24th, 2008   PyroTwilight is offline   #9
PyroTwilight
Supreme Geoffan

Will Hourmen other than Rick show up?

Old December 24th, 2008   MattSturges is offline   #10
MattSturges
professional

What is your favorite storyline from Geoff's run?
ddf
digitalsouljah36 View Post
Like a lot of people I'm a big fan of Black Reign for how it explored moral ambiguity in superheroism in the context of an ongoing superhero book. That's a tough job and one that Geoff did exceptionally well.

But the one that really blew my mind, especially on re-reading it during the run-up to working on the series, is the extended Hourman story, from the Android, to Rick, to Rex's return and the final confrontation with Extant with its deft ending. This played out over YEARS, and it was all superbly woven into the tapestry of the overall story. That, friends, is good comic book writing.

Old December 24th, 2008   General grievous is offline   #11
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

oh my god matt, that hourman 2 parter is one of my fav JSA story arcs ever.

I miss the android

I won't drop hints of what i would like to see, as everybody will be doing the same, I'll wait and see what the first arc has to offer. it goes without saying i will be getting the first 2 issues regardless.

"There is a Grant, Morrison be thy name!"
Old December 24th, 2008   RJ Squires is offline   #12
RJ Squires
persona non grata

Matt...

Will you continue on some of Geoff's story plots that were shown in the coming attractions at the end of JSoA #1? Particularly the Return of Kal-L the Earth 2 Superman?

Old December 24th, 2008   MattSturges is offline   #13
MattSturges
professional

1. Will we be seing Power Girl taking a more active role as leader of the team?

2. How closely will you guys be working with Jimmy and Justin to make sure events in PG and JSA line up?
ddf
michealdark View Post
1. Yes, although in a way you won't see coming.

2. As closely as they like; I'm very much a team player in that regard. My feeling is that when a character has their own series, those writers' needs trump the writer who's got them in a team book. It's always a tough balancing act, but enhances the character when done well. I'm reminded of Morrison's JLA run with the sudden appearance of Electric Blue superman and how he just totally rolled with it. "Interesting outfit," says Batman, and Supes responds, "These are interesting times."

Old December 24th, 2008   Michael Painter is offline   #14
Michael Painter
You're not my type

Yeah, congrats to both you Matt and Bill!
Looks like I'll continue to get JSA, (well I already get Jack of Fables and Fables, too, don't I ? )
Um, so how much of a break will there between you and Geoff for your runs? I know you two are making sure the Great Fabletown Crossover comes out on time in those three months from April to June, so would July be when we see your names on the book?

Also, um, I'm going to be the first one to suggest someone, even though I'm sure your stories are planned out. Please use Roulette or Hazard on your run, I'd love to see you and Bill's take on those characters.
By the way, Matt, I guess DC's making the most out of your exclusive contract, aren't they
Congrats again!

Owww!!! That hurts!
Old December 24th, 2008   michealdark is offline   #15
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

1. I'm intrigued.

2. I like that answer.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~mikedark2-My FF.net account,w/my TT fanfics
http://www.myspace.com/mymindseye-My music project's page.

RIP Tara
Old December 24th, 2008   MattSturges is offline   #16
MattSturges
professional

Matt

I think, at this point, you're primarily known as a character writer. Your Jack of Fables work is great, your House of Mystery work is wonderful, and your Blue Beetle is pitch perfect.

But a book like the JSA is, more than any book you've written before, about big bombastic action. Threats to the world, the universe, foes that hide in time or rule parallel universes.

Big, high concept evil and wrath, basically, rather than the more down to earth stories we have seen from you (Day of Vengeance, by Willingham, is arguably what I'm talking about here, but his/your Shadowpact was a fair bit more grounded).

Do you plan on bringing that scope, that level of danger and power, to the title?
ddf
Astro View Post
Well, thanks, and the answer is yes, it's big and threatening and explodey. I certainly don't mind being thought of as a "character" writer, but each book has its own milieu. Part of it is that I like stories that focus on people, and part of it is that you can't have the Ultra-Humanite take over earth in a book like Blue Beetle. They just don't let you do stuff like that. With JSA you've got an immensely powerful team, and they require immensely powerful challenges to match them.