The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old August 22nd, 2008   achilles140 is offline   #1
achilles140
Supreme Geoffan

Default Warner Brothers' New Strategy for DC Movies

Was laid out today in an article by the WSJ. There's good and bad news in it.

First the good news. Justice League now seems to be dead, both due to a shift in strategy, and to "script problems". Superman seems to be fairly certain to be taken out of the hands of Singer. The WB guy mentioned that if SR had been a hit or performed up to expectations, there would already be a movie ready for '09. Curiously, he also mentioned Batman vs. Superman, as if it had still been an active consideration until just recently.

The strategy now is to concentrate on single character movies to build up to team movies like Justice League; a strategy copied from Marvel.

Flash, GL, Wonder Woman, and Green Arrow were all mentioned as being in "active development".

Some perhaps bad news: With the success of the dark new Batman movie, Dark Knight, WB now wants ALL its DC movies to be dark, yes, even Superman. So prepare for a dark, angsty, broody Superman, (what's THAT guy got to be angsty about, he can fly and do just about anything! The X-Ray vision thing alone would put a smile on MY face I can tell you).

WB apparently doesn't get that not all DC characters work that way. There was a caveat about applying this policy to the extent that it will work, but WB's past history doesn't breed confidence that they will understand with which characters they can do that, and which characters require a lighter tone.

This is an interesting article, read it if you can. I don't have the time to look now for a link but I will later.

Old August 22nd, 2008   BART ALLEN is offline   #2
BART ALLEN
pre 52 and proud of it

All dc movies will be grim and gritty, looks like I will be watching more PIzar and less dc

Looking for the light in a land of forever night
Old August 22nd, 2008   darthlucifuge is offline   #3
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

Wow WB really jumped the gun here, I mean I'm glad they are taking a note from Marvel by focusing on characters.

The thing is Marvel dosent have all of it's movies having the same atmosphere. So far the Hulk and Iron Man have both been differnt.

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old August 22nd, 2008   LastSun is offline   #4
LastSun
Master Geoffan

Wow WB really jumped the gun here, I mean I'm glad they are taking a note from Marvel by focusing on characters.

The thing is Marvel dosent have all of it's movies having the same atmosphere. So far the Hulk and Iron Man have both been differnt.
ddf
darthlucifuge View Post
But I think that the thing that has allowed Marvel to make this last batch of good movies that they are their own studio now and are not under the pressure to make movies to studio edicts (i.e. everything has to be dark).

It looks great! The fat one balances the two skinny ones.

Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?
Old August 22nd, 2008   darthlucifuge is offline   #5
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

But I think that the thing that has allowed Marvel to make this last batch of good movies that they are their own studio now and are not under the pressure to make movies to studio edicts (i.e. everything has to be dark).
ddf
LastSun View Post
And this is waht I think WB fails to realize. They are trying to use the Marvel forumla but instead have some strange mandate slapped on.

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old August 22nd, 2008   Greg Owens is offline   #6
Greg Owens
Up Top Horseman

"There was a caveat about applying this policy to the extent that it will work, but WB's past history doesn't breed confidence"

I'm going to wait and see before I go all fanboy. WB did address it and the bad news is just speculation at this point.

"Nick, and I've told you this for years now, Greg is absolutely right."

Evilscratch
Old August 22nd, 2008   achilles140 is offline   #7
achilles140
Supreme Geoffan

Another interesting point in the article is that WB understands now how important DC movies are to them. They are cutting back on their overall slate of movies, to make fewer, more expensive movies, with DC movies counting as two of their yearly "tentpoles"---their lingo for the movies that the studio depends on yearly.

As for the "dark" part, we'll just have to wait and see how they actually implement it. If, as stated in other places, they really will have a much closer partnership with DC itself in making the movies, and rely on the talent that has written the actual comics and understands what makes each character tick---as opposed to say just going out and hiring a couple of folks who have never written a comic book or for that matter a screenplay---simply because they are the siblings of some minor actor---as in the case of Justice League---which they mentioned has been held up because of "script problems"; then we might actually see something good out of all this.

Otherwise we might see dark and gritty Superman...

Old August 22nd, 2008   achilles140 is offline   #8
achilles140
Supreme Geoffan

"There was a caveat about applying this policy to the extent that it will work, but WB's past history doesn't breed confidence"

I'm going to wait and see before I go all fanboy. WB did address it and the bad news is just speculation at this point.
ddf
Greg Owens View Post
Yes, as I addressed in my post immediately below yours. The prospect of WB working closer with DC is good, (though not mentioned in the article, curiously). IF they really do, and IF they listen to the DC guys, and actually hire them.

Old August 22nd, 2008   Steve Chung is offline   #9
Steve Chung
Advanced Geoffan

If he saw "Superman Returns," then I can understand how Supes could become dark and gritty.

"Free Steve Chung!"
Old August 22nd, 2008   Timekeeper is offline   #10
Timekeeper
Advanced Geoffan

I assume the 'dark and gritty' Superman story would be Death of Superman? That'd be sweet, especially if they kept it true to the original and possibly kept Superman dead for a film.

Damn, I needed a new signature :P
Old August 22nd, 2008   dragon.king is offline   #11
dragon.king
Son of Heaven

Here's the link to the article: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1219...l?mod=2_1168_1

Superman Returns wasn't dark. It was bleak.

Click here to get a degree in Superhero Theory.
Old August 22nd, 2008   achilles140 is offline   #12
achilles140
Supreme Geoffan

Read the article in full to get a better sense of where they are going.

Old August 22nd, 2008   achilles140 is offline   #13
achilles140
Supreme Geoffan

Here's the link to the article: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1219...l?mod=2_1168_1

Superman Returns wasn't dark. It was bleak.
ddf
dragon.king View Post
Thanks much for the link.

Old August 22nd, 2008   Not My Real Name is offline   #14
Not My Real Name*
The Invisible Horseman

So prepare for a dark, angsty, broody Superman, (what's THAT guy got to be angsty about, he can fly and do just about anything! The X-Ray vision thing alone would put a smile on MY face I can tell you).
ddf
achilles140 View Post
Well, for one thing he can't get a decent movie made about him for nearly thirty years.

II + II = VII
Old August 22nd, 2008   LastSun is offline   #15
LastSun
Master Geoffan

I assume the 'dark and gritty' Superman story would be Death of Superman? That'd be sweet, especially if they kept it true to the original and possibly kept Superman dead for a film.
ddf
Timekeeper View Post
That would actually make a great 4 movie arc.

1 - Intro of Superman
2 - Death of Superman
3 - Reign of the Supermen
4 - The return of Superman

It looks great! The fat one balances the two skinny ones.

Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?
Old August 22nd, 2008   Matthew Krevat is offline   #16
Matthew Krevat
Geoffan

Leading up to JLA has been my plan for years.

Do a Batman sequel where the henchmen have particularly high-tech weapons. Not a main focus of the plot, just better toys than Batman. At the end of the movie someone dies (henchman or contact the main baddie was meeting) and Batman turns him over . . . ALIEN! "This is a bit out of my league, but I know where I can turn to help." Closing shot of his limo entering Metropolis city limits.

Superman sequel that involves an alien invasion. Turns out at the end this was just the latest group, as they have been infilitrating the underworld quietly for years (Intergang perhaps). End with Clark opening his door to find Bruce Wayne with a laser. "Clark, we have to talk."

Wonder Woman movie with a tie in.

GL.

Maybe Flash.

Then JLA adding Aquaman and Martian Manhunter (and Flash if he wasn't already done).

The individual movies have different writers/directors/producers so they can be done at the same time. So release dates are throughout the year and you can get from movie one to JLA in 2 years.

Matthew.
They used to call me Act.
H.E.A.T. Charter Member
Watch what you believe, I'm a professional comedian.