The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old October 4th, 2006   FantomasPR is offline   #1
FantomasPR

Default Alias goes all Christian

Got this press release from the Yenny Yahoo Group:

Alias Enterprises Re-defines Their Vision: Christian Comics are
where it's at!

October 3, 2006

La Mesa, CA – mid-level publisher Alias Comics announced today that
they will be focusing their publishing efforts in and around the
Christian market.

In May of 2005, Alias comics opened its doors by launching 12 books
into the comic book marketplace, cementing their place in history as
the independent comic book company with the largest number of launch
titles ever. Several of those books were Christian titles and the
founders of Alias, Brett Burner and Mike S. Miller, made no bones
about the fact that they were both Christians. "Yeah, we are
Christians running a comic book company that is Christian friendly,
though primarily secular in what we produce.", said Brett Burner at
the time.

Since that time, however, Alias has garnered more and more interest
from the Christian market and mainstream Christian publishers. From
the work on Ted Dekker's `Saint', a promotional comic book produced
and distributed for Thomas Nelson Publishing, to a 24 book deal with
Zondervan publishing, a division of Harper Collins, as well as plans
to develop the popular Christian video series, `Angel Wars' into
comic format, it is clear that there is a bright future for Alias
comics and comics in general in the Christian world.

Talks with these and other Christian authors and publishers have
pushed the young company into a direction they are perfectly willing
to go. "We're going `all' Christian". Said Mike S. Miller, co-
founder of Alias. "It's just obvious that Alias needs to do this,
and all the time and effort that goes into publishing other peoples
work for the secular market is taking time and effort away from the
work where Alias is finding the most success financially as well as
spiritually. "

What does this mean for the `secular' books that Alias produces,
including some of Miller's own titles? "We're going to help our
studios find new homes for their books as much as we can. The last
thing we want to do is leave them in the lurch after they've helped
us become what we are today. I'll be making an announcement soon
about where my own titles will land.", concluded Miller.

ABOUT ALIAS ENTERPRISES, LLC

Based in La Mesa, California, Alias is a publishing company
dedicated to bringing the world of comics to the world beyond the
comic aquarium. Alias's goal is to publish excellent comics and
reach new readers for the medium in the Christian market.

-Mike

Comments?

Old October 4th, 2006   Chris Hansbrough is offline   #2
Chris Hansbrough
Scion of Mogo

you expect anything different from captain pompous homophobic religious nutbar?

sorry but any man who refuses to sign a book that I brought with me because I didn't buy it from his table......got less respect for him than I do for my current boss whose a fuunctionally retarded nutbar,

and about yer topic....they already were all christian

EIC - Nerdstock Comics
Webhost - Plastikitty

X-Box Live : Scion of Mogo
PSN : Scion_of_Mogo
Steam : Scion_of_Mogo
Old October 4th, 2006   Jeffrey Neary is offline   #3
Jeffrey Neary
I love it!!!

I recall Mike Millar on the DCMBs stating that DC stopped giving him work because he refused to stop lambasting gay members on the DCMB.

And subsequently...he went into a tirade lambasting gay members of the DCMBs.

I have no issues with people who have strong religious convictions. I have no issues with people voicing them.

But he attacked posters.

You ought to stop making assumptions and thinking the worst about people you don't know, and situations you aren't in a position to understand

-EVS
Old October 4th, 2006   Chris Hansbrough is offline   #4
Chris Hansbrough
Scion of Mogo

I recall Mike Millar on the DCMBs stating that DC stopped giving him work because he refused to stop lambasting gay members on the DCMB.

And subsequently...he went into a tirade lambasting gay members of the DCMBs.

I have no issues with people who have strong religious convictions. I have no issues with people voicing them.

But he attacked posters.
ddf
Jeffrey Neary View Post
we've all attacked posters....just never to a level and with such blatant bigotism as he used......not to mention refusing to sign books because you didn't buy them there. that's what bothers me more than anything else.....I knew he was a bigot when I was buying the imaginaries. didn'yt stop me. his pompous better than thou attitude when i met him is why I'll never touch an alias book again

EIC - Nerdstock Comics
Webhost - Plastikitty

Old October 4th, 2006   Jeffrey Neary is offline   #5
Jeffrey Neary
I love it!!!

we've all attacked posters....just never to a level and with such blatant bigotism as he used......not to mention refusing to sign books because you didn't buy them there. that's what bothers me more than anything else.....I knew he was a bigot when I was buying the imaginaries. didn'yt stop me. his pompous better than thou attitude when i met him is why I'll never touch an alias book again
ddf
Chris Hansbrough View Post
We all may have argued..but I wouldn't say we all attacked posters.

You ought to stop making assumptions and thinking the worst about people you don't know, and situations you aren't in a position to understand

-EVS
Old October 4th, 2006   FantomasPR is offline   #6
FantomasPR

They were still publishing Yenny, a comic about a sexy Puerto Rican aspiring model, which I think was one of the few secular comics that was selling for them. I really I'm glad that Yenny could now go to Image or other comic company. I always felt that Alias was doing all they could to blast any sucess the comic had.

Old October 4th, 2006   Paul_King is offline   #7
Paul_King
Make Mine Marvel Cosmic!

As Comicbloc's resident Bible-thumpin' Hate-mongor, I'll take these and give some thoughts.

Chris - if someone says they are a representative of God's Eternal love and can't even extend the same courtesies that other creators of a Secular system, that should tell you the genuiness of their Faith.

Don Kramer has never espoused any Spiritual opinions but in Chicago he did some very Christian-like things. He gave a free sketch to our Waitress whom had some bad things happen.

He didn't charge her or get all premadonna, he just drew a sketch for her and made her day/week/year.

I'd say THAT is a testament of God's love whether that was Don's intent or not.

Jeff - Where my Faith excludes me from accepting certain behaviours, I am CERTAINLY called to be tolerant.

God loved me in MY infirmaties. None (including myself) searches for God and ALL (including myself) have sinned and fallen short.

Is being Gay a sin? In my "religion" it is. Lying is a sin and I did that just a couple hours ago.

We are ALL equal in the eyes of God and ALL loved by that same God equally. We are to treat each other with love and respect and if someone (like that guy) doesn't then they don't understand what being a Christian is all about.

To be a Christian is to love others (everyone regardless) as He loves us.

He loved us so much he came to be hurt, disgraced and killed for someone like me. I have no right to feel superior to anyone else because the nails in his hands were MY FAULT. It is my sin that put them there.

I wish people who act like this wouldn't be the loudest ones about the club they hang with. Still the Church is a hospital for Sinners not a Hotel for Saints.

On the other side, it's nice to see a section of comics take this large demographic seriously.

-Paul

"You wrote 'The world doesn't need a Savior' but everyday I hear people crying for one." - Superman Returns
Old October 4th, 2006   Chris Hansbrough is offline   #8
Chris Hansbrough
Scion of Mogo

As Comicbloc's resident Bible-thumpin' Hate-mongor, I'll take these and give some thoughts.

Chris - if someone says they are a representative of God's Eternal love and can't even extend the same courtesies that other creators of a Secular system, that should tell you the genuiness of their Faith.

Don Kramer has never espoused any Spiritual opinions but in Chicago he did some very Christian-like things. He gave a free sketch to our Waitress whom had some bad things happen.

He didn't charge her or get all premadonna, he just drew a sketch for her and made her day/week/year.

Jeff - Where my Faith excludes me from accepting certain behaviours, I am CERTAINLY called to be tolerant.

God loved me in MY infirmaties. None (including myself) searches for God and ALL (including myself) have sinned and fallen short.

Is being Gay a sin? In my "religion" it is. Lying is a sin and I did that just a couple hours ago.

We are ALL equal in the eyes of God and ALL loved by that same God equally. We are to treat each other with love and respect and if someone (like that guy) doesn't then they don't understand what being a Christian is all about.

He loved us so much he came to be hurt, disgraced and killed for someone like me. I have no right to feel superior to anyone else because that nails in his hands were MY FAULT. It is my sin that put them there.

I wish people who act like this wouldn't be the loudest ones about the club they hang with. Still the Church is a hospital for Sinners not a Hotel for Saints.

On the other side, it's nice to see a section of comics take this large demographic seriously.

-Paul
ddf
Paul_King View Post
I wasn't complaining about him being religios. Hell I've got lots of pals that could be considered very religious and think homosexuality is a sin. the only difference is....is that like you they don't feel the need to attack homosexuals about it. My issue isn't with the religion. iut's with the douchebaggish nature of his comments and not just that but the pompous attitude with which he treats his fans.

EIC - Nerdstock Comics
Webhost - Plastikitty

Old October 4th, 2006   Paul_King is offline   #9
Paul_King
Make Mine Marvel Cosmic!

I wasn't complaining about him being religios. Hell I've got lots of pals that could be considered very religious and think homosexuality is a sin. the only difference is....is that like you they don't feel the need to attack homosexuals about it. My issue isn't with the religion. iut's with the douchebaggish nature of his comments and not just that but the pompous attitude with which he treats his fans.
ddf
Chris Hansbrough
I know, Chris. It was just my longwinded way of agreeing with you.

"You wrote 'The world doesn't need a Savior' but everyday I hear people crying for one." - Superman Returns
Old October 4th, 2006   JRCarter is offline   #10
JRCarter
Advanced Geoffan

He loved us so much he came to be hurt, disgraced and killed for someone like me. I have no right to feel superior to anyone else because the nails in his hands were MY FAULT. It is my sin that put them there.

-Paul
ddf
Paul_King View Post

What he said.

Old October 4th, 2006   Jor-El's Ghoest is offline   #11
Jor-El's Ghoest
Neo Geoffan

-Paul
ddf
Paul_King View Post
I was going to post something articulate and profound, but Paul beat me to it. Exactly right.
Last edited by Jor-El's Ghoest; October 4th, 2006 at 09:28 PM.

Old October 4th, 2006   Jorge Galvan is offline   #12
Jorge Galvan
Supporters

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

that doesn't make sense since LEGEND OF ISIS' & TENTH MUSE co-creator DARREN G. DAVIS is gay???? and responsible for some of the companies success. So why would Darren have stayed for so long?

JG

Old October 4th, 2006   CapeandCowl is offline   #13
CapeandCowl
Gad Fly

hmmm....well I guess this might explain why I never heard from Alias when I made story submission to them that involves reincarnation!

Old October 4th, 2006   Jake1823 is offline   #14
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

Well said, Paul.

Where is everybody?
Old October 4th, 2006   Chris Hansbrough is offline   #15
Chris Hansbrough
Scion of Mogo

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

that doesn't make sense since LEGEND OF ISIS' & TENTH MUSE co-creator DARREN G. DAVIS is gay???? and responsible for some of the companies success. So why would Darren have stayed for so long?

JG
ddf
Jorge Galvan View Post
yes it does make sense. especially if you ever kept up with his insanity.

EIC - Nerdstock Comics
Webhost - Plastikitty

Old October 4th, 2006   Vinny Piccolo is offline   #16
Vinny Piccolo
Don't call it a comeback.

If Mike Miller shows his face at the NYComicCon, we're gonna have a NICE LONG CHAT.