The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

View Poll Results: Which version of the DCU would you like to see coming out of next year's event(s)?
Old DCU 34 70.83%
New 52 3 6.25%
Combination of the two 11 22.92%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 6th, 2014   thbriboy is offline   #17
thbriboy

Losers- Superman, Justice League (pick one. I'm sorry, it started well but has become bogged down ever since; I dropped it right before Trinity War and haven't regretted it), Titans.

Winners- Batman, Green Lantern (pretty much the whole line, although I'm not sure where New Guardians is going), Justice League 3000, Wonder Woman

Not sure what to think- Flash, Green Arrow, Earth 2

My opinion: let's just say that Flashpoint and the New 52 occurred as part of the crushed timeline at the end of Final Crisis, and that Nix Uotan is still fighting Mandrakk. Eventually Nix wins, and the proper timeline is restored. As you recall, the Green Lantern Corps was outside the time bubble, and Batman had been sent back in time, thus allowing the two best (IMO) New 52 lines to retain most of their sequences of events.

If anyone needs me, I'll be hangin' out BEYOND PHOBOS!
Old November 6th, 2014   Whealer is offline   #18
Whealer
Multiverse refugee

Mixed...WW has never been better IMO. For me it is the exception, however. If there had to be a reboot i really wish DC had shown the guts to REALLy reboot as was done in the Silver Age. As for what is coming I can no longer be certain I care enough to even give it a chance.

Don't tase me, bro.
Old November 6th, 2014   jafabian is offline   #19
jafabian
I’m not dead.

Voted old DCU. Superman is no longer super to me. I prefer Captain Marvel over Shazam. (I really can't stand the nu52 Billy Batson.) Cyborg looks like Robocop. Not happy at cancelling Legion of Super-Heroes just when Levitz and Giffen were reunited, nor do I like the nu52 Firestorm. All that is jut the tip of the iceberg for me.

When so much was rebooted to it's beginnings I dropped a lot of books. I've been through that enough times to where this veteran reader doesn't have the patience for yet another DCU re-imagining. Only books I'm interested in are the ones least affected by the nu52 reboot: Batman, Aquaman and Green Lantern and since Geoff left GL Hal seems to be slowly becoming more of an idiot to me.

Old December 26th, 2014   Navydeepsea is offline   #20
Navydeepsea*
Carter Hall Wannabe

Combo. New 52 Aquaman rocks. Batman is the same, so good. They screwed up Supes and made him kind of a punk. Liked the new origin for the JL. So new 52 is a mixed bag for me.

Read Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnazes. Then go Run ya lazy ass.
Old December 28th, 2014   leonmallett is offline   #21
leonmallett
comics fan

I voted old, but then again that would be a retrograde step for me.

The problems for me with the new 52 were:

1. It may have been better as a clean reboot; holding onto a patchwork past messed things up in my opinion.
2. More importantly was the tone and overall approach; violence and sexuality amped up, death and dismemberment aplenty, heroes lacking nobility. Even Earth 2 which was a clean reboot and started well was mired in darkness, but had heroes who were a beacon of light, and then Taylor took over and applied the death and dismemberment approach, and suddenly the characters whom the book was founded upon became disposable.

DCU both pre-52 (from around 2004 or so) and in the New 52 has had some poor custodianship. And it is not just the comic books. Man of Steel did not depict a Superman I wanted to watch. It seemed a reflection of the same sensibilities that brought about the tone of the DC line that the New 52 exemplified in too many books. I grew up as a mainly DC reader, but frankly Marvel has generally taken better care of its properties IMHO.

The new 52 - probably not for me...
Old January 8th, 2015   Greg Waite is offline   #22
Greg Waite
Uber Geoffan

I voted Old DCU.

I gave the New 52 a fair shot and I finally had enough.

I'll come back if:

The Old DC returns

OR

Jason Aaron jumps to DC.

Until either one happens, I'm all done with DC.

"We can't be all heroes, because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by." Will Rogers
Old January 8th, 2015   Doctor Kent Nelson is offline   #23
Doctor Kent Nelson
Geoffan

I voted Old DCU.

I gave the New 52 a fair shot and I finally had enough.

I'll come back if:

The Old DC returns

OR

Jason Aaron jumps to DC.

Until either one happens, I'm all done with DC.
ddf
Greg Waite View Post
Same here, although I'm just holding onto a few titles from the "New" 52. However once Convergence finishes, I'll be finished with DC unless I can read some titles from the old DCU or a REAL Justice Society of America appears without the clichés, stereotypes and token Earth-2 characters.

Eric Strauss? Linda Strauss? Jared Stevens? Hector Hall? It's just not the same...Bring back KENT & INZA NELSON (Justice League animated style)
Old May 4th, 2015   Kane_fan is offline   #24
Kane_fan
Flamebird..A hero reborn!

Voted Old DCU.

Yes...I want a Superman and Wonder Woman I can be proud to read about again.

as well as....

Captain Marvel
Green Arrow
Black Canary
Black Lightning
Hawkman
Hawkwoman
The Atom
Blue Beetle (Ted)
Captain Atom
Wally West
Donna Troy
Dick Grayson

Bette Kane is Flamebird.....except no substitutes! Of course, if they call her Bat-Girl, then that's okay. :)
Old May 26th, 2015   lastActionHero is offline   #25
lastActionHero

No doubt old DCU is gems.