The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Marvel Comics

Marvel Comics The House of Ideas. 'Nuff Said!

Old July 16th, 2014   Elias is offline   #81
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

What If The Fantastic Four Film Also Doesn’t Want To Have Anything To Do With The Comics?

Old July 18th, 2014   chrisbenes is offline   #82
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

Even Marvel knows that comics coming out at the time of the movie don't influence ticket sales. It's good trailers, good word of mouth and good publicity.

I'll again pull out the old math chestnut.

Let's say the FF sells 75,000 books a month (I'm being generous, I know).

Let's then multiply that number by 4 (because you know...it's the Fantastic Four) to include those readers who've left the book with fond memories and add that to the 75,000.

Let's say each of those people see the movie 4 (again it's the Fantastic Four) times.

1,500,000 viewings

and let's say (keeping with a trend) that bring 4 friends with them who are not in the previous numbers (i.e. not comics fans).

7,500,000 (1,500,000 for the viewer and each of his four friends)

Now let's say it's IMAX 3D in some of the theaters we'll average the price to....15.00 per show.

And remember, this is with me being VERY generous.

The comics will not put butts in seats to a degree that warrants these kinds of moves. However, the rumor mongering can impact sales either way.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post

Wow....you were generous and I missed it

But I agree

See personally I don't want to see it....I want this to flop in hopes that Marvel can swoop in and buy the rights.

But my son will likely want to see it and I may not have a choice but to take him.

I do not like the fact that the director is just dismissing the source material.

But look on the bright side.....the marvel cinematic universe has the guardians to give us the fun space adventure we are hoping for from marvel sci-fi

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old October 5th, 2014   Elias is offline   #83
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

CONFIRMED: Fantastic Four To Be Cancelled In 2015 With A Triple-Sized Issue 645, For Fantastic Fourever

Old October 5th, 2014   BART ALLEN is offline   #84
BART ALLEN
pre 52 and proud of it

Is Marvel trying to catch up with dc in the stupid department

Looking for the light in a land of forever night
Old October 10th, 2014   Elias is offline   #85
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

NYCC: MARVEL TEASES FATE OF FF, "NO MORE MUTANTS"

Old October 12th, 2014   Elias is offline   #86
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

CBR:
NYCC: ROBINSON DISCUSSES THE END OF "FANTASTIC FOUR"
With Marvel confirming the impending conclusion of "Fantastic Four," series writer James Robinson assures CBR, 'I'm not going to leave this book on a bad note.'

Old October 12th, 2014   BART ALLEN is offline   #87
BART ALLEN
pre 52 and proud of it

Did you guys know that way before Marvel made Movies , they used to make things called comicbooks.

Shouldn't the marvel forums be under movies and not comics ?

Old October 13th, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #88
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

Did you guys know that way before Marvel made Movies , they used to make things called comicbooks.

ddf
BART ALLEN View Post
Marvel made good movies based on their characters, so now they suck?

Old October 13th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #89
Amentep

ddf
BART ALLEN View Post
Did you know that before Martin Goodman made Marvel Comics (then called "Timely"), he published pulp magazines?

Shouldn't the Marvel forums then be under "pulp magazines" and not "comics" or "movies"?

Old October 13th, 2014   BART ALLEN is offline   #90
BART ALLEN
pre 52 and proud of it

What I was saying in my sarcastic way is Marvel seems more concerned about movies then comics. I wish they were as worries about doing great comics as they were great movies

Old October 13th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #91
Amentep

What I was saying in my sarcastic way is Marvel seems more concerned about movies then comics. I wish they were as worries about doing great comics as they were great movies
ddf
BART ALLEN View Post
I understood that.

But - and tastes vary - I'm buying more Marvel comics now than I have since the mid 1980s. I think they've had some great books.

Sure, there seems to be some shenanigans going down with the Fantastic Four as a title, but there's a lot of good comic books coming out of Marvel.

Old October 13th, 2014   BART ALLEN is offline   #92
BART ALLEN
pre 52 and proud of it

I understood that.

But - and tastes vary - I'm buying more Marvel comics now than I have since the mid 1980s. I think they've had some great books.

Sure, there seems to be some shenanigans going down with the Fantastic Four as a title, but there's a lot of good comic books coming out of Marvel.
ddf
Amentep View Post

Cancelling a comic for a movie is kind of cutting your nose off to spite your face, The comic rarely if ever bring people in to the movie. The movies do bring people to comic stores. This movie we have nothing to do with is helping our books sale 20% better cancell the book
It is hard to even follow good books with so many books coming out and crossovers, One reason i am reading so much Image is if you read Manifest destiny you only have to read that to get the whole story

Old October 13th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #93
Amentep

Cancelling a comic for a movie is kind of cutting your nose off to spite your face, The comic rarely if ever bring people in to the movie. The movies do bring people to comic stores. This movie we have nothing to do with is helping our books sale 20% better cancell the book
It is hard to even follow good books with so many books coming out and crossovers, One reason i am reading so much Image is if you read Manifest destiny you only have to read that to get the whole story
ddf
BART ALLEN View Post
Its not exactly like Fantastic Fours sales on the latest iteration are all that great, from what I recall.

Would you rather Marvel just cancel the current title and reboot with a new #1 for a new creative team the next month? 'Cause I get the impression a lot of people don't like that and it didn't seem to really help with the Robinson relaunch.

Old October 13th, 2014   Mackaybear is offline   #94
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

A point was well made on a Podcast I watch almost daily. AMC Movie Talk. The mail bag question was about whether Marvel had canceled the Fantastic Four comic to screw with Fox's movie release. John Campea pointed out that the FF book sold only about 28,000 copies last month. Less than even watched their podcast on You Tube. Not enough sales or audience to much affect ticket sale one way or another. What we forget is comic fans are probably less than 1% of the comic book movie audience. (Though I don't know the exact percentage.)

Marvel is a business. They are going to put the major focus on where the most money is. I'm simply glad they still put out the books and put a fair amount of thought and effort behind them. They could stop and solely focus on their characters as movie properties.

Why is it that when comic companies act like the businesses they are and try to maximize profit making, comic fans get mad and kvetch?

I may be old and crippled, but I ain't dead yet.
Old October 13th, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #95
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

Cancelling any title to regroup and rethink things is not a bad idea.

I'm pretty sure Marvel and its creators understand the significance of the Fantastic Four title more than us fans. They tried an approach that isn't garnering enough monthly sales. They want to put out a successful monthly comic. If not, then they would just keep the same creators and plug away regardless of the sinking ship all to please the small amount of people still buying the title, which is pretty small as Mackaybear pointed out.

Old October 13th, 2014   darthlucifuge is offline   #96
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

It is hard to even follow good books with so many books coming out and crossovers,
ddf
BART ALLEN View Post
I think that's a personal issue.
I can follow everything just fine.
These days I read more Marvel than I ever have.

Your experience is not that of everyone else.

As far as I see it, they still care plenty about the comic books.
I've read some really fantastic books these past few years.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Why is it that when comic companies act like the businesses they are and try to maximize profit making, comic fans get mad and kvetch?
ddf
Mackaybear View Post
Because comic book fans tend to be really immature man children. lol.

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards