The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Town Hall > ComicBlogs: The Voice of the People

ComicBlogs: The Voice of the People Everyone gets a blog, subscribe to others' blogs, get feeds, and more!

Old September 5th, 2013   Brian LaBelle is offline   #1
Brian LaBelle
I teleported.

Default What the Hell is going on here?

Now I haven't been on message boards for a while because I've had a job where I've been on-call 24/7 for the past 2 years but I finally get a new job and some time to go online and this place is a ghost town? What happened? During Infinite Crisis there was probably a new post every 5 minutes, now the most recent post in some forums is from 2011, are you kidding me? Oh my fellow nerds, where did your sense of community go? Where did your senses of outrage and excitement go??

Old September 5th, 2013   JRM is offline   #2
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Now I haven't been on message boards for a while because I've had a job where I've been on-call 24/7 for the past 2 years but I finally get a new job and some time to go online and this place is a ghost town? What happened? During Infinite Crisis there was probably a new post every 5 minutes, now the most recent post in some forums is from 2011, are you kidding me? Oh my fellow nerds, where did your sense of community go? Where did your senses of outrage and excitement go??
ddf
Brian LaBelle View Post
Some of us are still around. The "Great Flash Wars" and the move of so many creators to Twitter, etc did hurt traffic, but I think that the underwhelming response to Flash Point and beyond is where the real shrinkage is rooted. But really glad to see you posting again.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old September 5th, 2013   Werehunter is offline   #3
Werehunter
Master Geoffan

If I had to guess, I'd say the negativity in many threads have driven people away. If I was a fan of the nu52, there's no way I'd be on this board and even though I don't like it the amount of negativity in some threads have almost gotten me to give up on this forum.

Old September 5th, 2013   Brian LaBelle is offline   #4
Brian LaBelle
I teleported.

Insanity!

I'd still buying a vast majority of DC/New 52 books. In fact, the only titles I don't collect are Batgirl, Batman :LoDK, Batwing, Birds of Prey, Catwoman, Katanna, Nightwing, Suicide Squad & Talon. I get the other 43 though.

I thought Flashpoint was pretty decent? Admittedly, I'm a big alternate Earth/Elseworlds/Hypertime fan though so those types of books are the ones I usually enjoy the most. I started posting about comics again because I was really disgusted with the way this 3-D cover thing has shaken down and wanted to see what was happening elsewhere. There wasn't a single store in Edmonton (with the exception of one who were selling their copies for $15 a piece for the regular 3D covers and $5 each for the variant non-3D covers) that got enough copies of Green Lantern or JLofA to fill their file customers orders and wanted to see if that was the case elsewhere. It was a pretty big blunder.

Old September 5th, 2013   BART ALLEN is offline   #5
BART ALLEN
pre 52 and proud of it

Maybe it is the same reason so meny have left at dc editoral interference

Looking for the light in a land of forever night
Old September 5th, 2013   Bizarro #98 is offline   #6
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

I think Matches said it best so I'll just quote his post.

Years ago my firm (at the time) hired a marketing consultant to come in and tell us what we needed to do in order to market ourselves. The one thing she said that stuck with me was "Either you are growing, or you are dying. There is no in-between."

If you look at the join dates for virtually every regular poster here, they're 2006 and earlier. It's natural and expected that people will drift away over time, for all the reasons Keith listed and also many others. It's standard attrition.

Communities like this have to constantly attract new members to replace ones who depart. This forum has not done that. And at this point, I don't know how it can. There's a lot to like here, but there's also a lot of nastiness and snark disguised as commentary.

There's a ton of discussion of DC Comics, both positive and negative, elsewhere on the 'net. There is not a lack of interest among the 'net community in discussing DC Comics. I can't think of a single reason why a potential new poster who is remotely positive about anything DC is doing now would choose to make this a frequent stop, though. The dropoff in membership and traffic here happened LONG before the New 52.

And as others have said, this is and always has been a DC-centric board. If it's not drawing in new posters that want to talk about DC, it's not drawing in new posters period.
ddf
Matches View Post

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482