The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old May 26th, 2013   manwithnoname is offline   #65
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

Wait...before you derided message boards (or this one in particular) for having moderators who are "priggish and oppressive Pacific Northwesterners who can't control their natural PNW compulsion to be exclusivist snobs and ban anyone for any little thing." and now you say message boards are for those with a discerning palette?

I think we can see why your name is Dr. Decipher as you seem to speak in riddles and enigmas.......
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
Spot on!

The question: can Dr. Decipher decipher Dr. Decipher?

Old May 28th, 2013   PyroTwilight is offline   #66
PyroTwilight
Supreme Geoffan

Time erodes all things. The board has slowed indeed. Some New Blood is needed and yeah I think creators were a big draw but they don't come by anymore.

Old May 28th, 2013   darthlucifuge is offline   #67
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

Time erodes all things. The board has slowed indeed. Some New Blood is needed and yeah I think creators were a big draw but they don't come by anymore.
ddf
PyroTwilight View Post
This is a message board problem. Every other message board I post on or have posted on is now dead or dying. Like other have said, Facebook, Reddit and Twitter have taken the MB's place.

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old May 28th, 2013   Dr_Decipher is offline   #68
Dr_Decipher

Spot on!

The question: can Dr. Decipher decipher Dr. Decipher?
ddf
manwithnoname View Post
Absolutely I can... (but I would have thought the explanation is obvious):

Message boards are for (as in "meant for") those with a more discerning palette, but the problem is that, if you assign overseers with a cultural fetish for compulsively squelching things, then that message board is going to go belly-up in the exact same way that 800-pound snarling gorillas and twitchy-eyed snipers hiding outside a Michelin three-star restaurant will cause that restarant to lose business very quickly, regardless of how good the food might be inside.

...In fact, considering that even the chefs who work there won't even want to take the chance of trying to come to work, only to get picked off in the parking lot, then pretty soon you can no longer even say the food is any good there, as there is literally no one there any longer to cook it. You end up with a John Byrne forum where literally almost no one can even get inside.

So there's a big difference between what something should otherwise be, and what it's actually allowed to be. I thought that much would be obvious.

Why are the shallowest simpletons always the ones in control?
Old May 28th, 2013   TJLamb0518 is offline   #69
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Message boards are for (as in "meant for") those with a more discerning palette, but the problem is that, if you assign overseers with a cultural fetish for compulsively squelching things, then that message board is going to go belly-up in the exact same way that 800-pound snarling gorillas and twitchy-eyed snipers hiding outside a Michelin three-star restaurant will cause that restarant to lose business very quickly, regardless of how good the food might be inside.

...In fact, considering that even the chefs who work there won't even want to take the chance of trying to come to work, only to get picked off in the parking lot, then pretty soon you can no longer even say the food is any good there, as there is literally no one there any longer to cook it. You end up with a John Byrne forum where literally almost no one can even get inside.

So there's a big difference between what something should otherwise be, and what it's actually allowed to be. I thought that much would be obvious.
ddf
Dr_Decipher View Post
See....now I'm intrigued. So, guess as I have time I'll be going back and reading your old posts under your old ID, because there's a certain familiarity to your posting style and ....topics of interest that have a certain tingling going on.

Which really should not have surprised me. There are two types of posters I remember. The outstanding (i.e. kandor red, rex tyler) who are missed and well....the others whose personae become non grata. When I recognized you right off, I was hoping you were the former, but now I have to scratch that itch and see if I can find out.

And for some reason, the avatar seems to be a big tell.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old May 28th, 2013   Mackaybear is offline   #70
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

ddf
Dr_Decipher View Post

While I have rhe vaguest sense we're being insulted here, still it's kind of irrelevant.

While this is all tremendously intriguing. It's also seriously off topic. Speculating on another poster's motives is not addressing the topic of why the Board traffic has dropped off in the last several years. I''m not singling out the Doc, he's just answering some queries posed to him. But you all know better than to take things into the realm of the personal.

Social media has changed radically with the advent of Twitter and Facebook and it's easier for creators to touch base with fans that way. That is fact, and it may be the Message Boards are going the way of the IBM typewriter or the cassette tape. I'd hope not but it is probably going to happen eventually.

Most of the folks still here feel some sense of community here, and feel that they have a personal connection to the Bloc of some type.

I may be old and crippled, but I ain't dead yet.
Old May 28th, 2013   Mr. Wrong is offline   #71
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

MBs are infinitely better for actual discussion, IMO. Twitter's okay for saying stuff like "I enjoyed BLAH BLAH #1!" and that's about it. Facebook is a repository for baby and cat pictures and a place where no matter how ubiquitous a statement is made, it will inevitably turn into a bizarre argument in which multiple parties argue past one another about completely different things.

This board in particular has a group of posters and mods that I find to be especially interesting and pleasant to communicate with.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old May 28th, 2013   Mackaybear is offline   #72
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

I don't use Twitter or Facebook, and probably never will. The Bloc is unusual for a Comic book message board as it has always attracted very intelligent, well spoken comics fans. (We've had our share of flakes too.) But for the most part the discussions here have almost always been good.

With the major dissatisfaction of a lot of DC fans with the nu52 a great deal of negativity has pervaded the board. We're concerned that it might be driving away positive discussions by those who find things to like about DC and the nu52 still. But despite what some folks think, we don't censor or dissuade anyone's point of view. (Until and unless it becomes excessive)

Old May 28th, 2013   TJLamb0518 is offline   #73
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

(We've had our share of flakes too.)
ddf
Mackaybear View Post
Now I have the vaguest feeling that I'M being insulted.....

Old May 28th, 2013   Mackaybear is offline   #74
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
Sheep Boy, you're not a flake. SIGH... If only that's all you were.....

Old May 28th, 2013   Arcademan/PixieP is offline   #75
Arcademan/PixieP
Zettai daijōbu da yo

(We've had our share of flakes too.)
ddf
Mackaybear View Post
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
But the difference in you is that you're frosted and you know what they say about frosted flakes...they're GRRRRRRRRRRRREAT!!!

"Everything will surely be all right." 「絶対大丈夫だよ。」, "Zettai daijōbu da yo."
Neo-Geo Forum: Official WWE Thread- Results and news!
Old May 29th, 2013   Mackaybear is offline   #76
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

But the difference in you is that you're frosted and you know what they say about frosted flakes...they're GRRRRRRRRRRRREAT!!!
ddf
Arcademan/PixieP View Post
But does he stay crunchy in milk is the big question here?

Old May 29th, 2013   TJLamb0518 is offline   #77
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

But does he stay crunchy in milk is the big question here?
ddf
Mackaybear View Post
Not Harvey Milk, that's for sure.

Old May 29th, 2013   Mackaybear is offline   #78
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

Not Harvey Milk, that's for sure.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
So many G_D awful jokes come to mind here. But I'll resist the urge to post them.

Old May 29th, 2013   Saturn Girl is offline   #79
Saturn Girl
Thought Criminal

I used to post a lot, but that was back when I still read DC. The new 52 drove me away. I really liked a lot of posters here and miss the old days, but unfortunately I don't have much to say about comics unless they are Image or other smaller publishers and they were never popular in these forums.

I am the one who knocks.
Old May 29th, 2013   Amentep is offline   #80
Amentep

^I dunno, I see a lot of people mentioning they're reading Image comics (I'm reading Manhatten projects, Saga and Fatale personally) it just seems like people aren't talking about them (in my case, I'm reading all in Trades).