The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old September 8th, 2011   Spire2000 is offline   #1
Spire2000
Neo Geoffan

Default Jim Lee's Interesting Statement in This Week's Books

And I quote;

"DC the new 52 is just the start of something BIGGER and BOLDER yet."

In this week's DC COMICS ALL ACCESS column, Jim Lee goes to lengths to explain how the idea came about and how they are planning the whole enterprise. But he is also clearly still selling the concept to those who are perhaps still skeptical.

From nearly the start of this, I've suspected that we don't have the whole story on this re-launch. From the suspicious number of launch books (52, a number with a very specific connotation in DC), to the traditional non-Earth 1 characters mostly AWOL (JSA, All-Star Squadron, SHAZAM!, Ted Kord, Question, Freedom Fighters, etc...) to the seemingly insurmountable continuity holes (four Robins?, no sidekick Teen Titans?, no Oracle?), to the almost never mentioned but still on-the-radar Multiversity, to the presence of the hooded mystery woman (Time Trapper?) and finally this quote from Jim Lee.

I'm convinced this is a one-year plan that is leading to Multiversity and the re-introduction of the New Earth DCU. The whole thing just doesn't seem planned out enough for it to be permanent.

Old September 8th, 2011   Sentinel119 is offline   #2
Sentinel119
Supreme Geoffan

We can only hope so.

"Bible, Wrath of Kahn. What's the difference?"
Cyclops was Right
Old September 8th, 2011   Timekeeper is offline   #3
Timekeeper
Advanced Geoffan

I think you're reading into what is clearly a well marketed phrase meant to drum up support for the relaunch.

Damn, I needed a new signature :P
Old September 8th, 2011   curiouswanderer is offline   #4
curiouswanderer
O'Brian Tallent

I think you're reading into what is clearly a well marketed phrase meant to drum up support for the relaunch.
ddf
Timekeeper View Post
Sadly, this is all that I think it means. Jim is seriously trying to push support for the relaunch. I would much rather hope that in a years time we will get a giant story that pushes it all back to much of what was...but I dont think that will be what will happen at all.

Havenplace Community Youth Center

My curiouswandering Space

Not all who wander are lost. ~JRR Tolkien
Old September 8th, 2011   flashsuper is offline   #5
flashsuper
My real name is Mike

Sadly, this is all that I think it means. Jim is seriously trying to push support for the relaunch. I would much rather hope that in a years time we will get a giant story that pushes it all back to much of what was...but I dont think that will be what will happen at all.
ddf
curiouswanderer View Post
I hope not. Quite frankly, I was very bored with DC. Just my personal two cents.

I have had a rebirth.
Old September 8th, 2011   heffison is offline   #6
heffison
Lapsed Reader

And I quote;

"DC the new 52 is just the start of something BIGGER and BOLDER yet."

In this week's DC COMICS ALL ACCESS column, Jim Lee goes to lengths to explain how the idea came about and how they are planning the whole enterprise. But he is also clearly still selling the concept to those who are perhaps still skeptical.

From nearly the start of this, I've suspected that we don't have the whole story on this re-launch. From the suspicious number of launch books (52, a number with a very specific connotation in DC), to the traditional non-Earth 1 characters mostly AWOL (JSA, All-Star Squadron, SHAZAM!, Ted Kord, Question, Freedom Fighters, etc...) to the seemingly insurmountable continuity holes (four Robins?, no sidekick Teen Titans?, no Oracle?), to the almost never mentioned but still on-the-radar Multiversity, to the presence of the hooded mystery woman (Time Trapper?) and finally this quote from Jim Lee.

I'm convinced this is a one-year plan that is leading to Multiversity and the re-introduction of the New Earth DCU. The whole thing just doesn't seem planned out enough for it to be permanent.
ddf
Spire2000 View Post
As much as I would love to have my prelaunch New Earth Teen Titans stick around, I can't think of anything that would make DC look worse at this point than to offer up an event that wiped out the DCnU to put the DCU back in place. The multiverse angle may let them have different Earths for groups of characters they think can sell, but the main Earth has to be the DCnU for several years, or the current editorial staff would look like liars and fools. At most, we'll come to a point where they bring some chunks of the prelaunch world back to mix with the nU, but it will be a tweaked nU, not a full-blown restoration.

Now, if disaster strikes, and the current crew gets tossed, then a new regime could go ahead and bring New Earth back, but I don't think Lee's master plan is to get himself and everyone around him canned. But I'm not an editor or publisher, so I wouldn't know for sure.

Old September 8th, 2011   Cousin Cory Springhorn is offline   #7
Cousin Cory Springhorn
Advanced Geoffan

Yes, as much as I will miss the old continuity, I can't see a reversal of course at this point. Even if the New 52 turned out a year from now to be a complete flop, I don't know how DC would come to the conclusion that they should go back to what wasn't working before.

Honestly, I think for those of us in mourning, feeling disenfranchised by the DCnU, the best thing we can hope for is that DC's new direction is a huge success, exceeding all expectations, and that Multiversity is also a huge success. If a stronger, more profitable DC sees that fans will accept and enjoy alternative versions of their characters without diluting the popularity of their main line, perhaps they will feel secure enough to throw us old-timers a bone and give us something like a "Legends of the DC Universe" anthology series continuing the continuity of "Old New Earth," now reassigned to another Earth in the Multiverse. If that were successful, maybe we'd even see a small line of 4 or 5 titles set on that Earth.

But it's all dependent on the expansion of the market and/or DC's market share. If they can't "make the pie higher," I can't imagine how any of that would occur.

Old September 9th, 2011   xBarryxAllenx is offline   #8
xBarryxAllenx

Yes, as much as I will miss the old continuity, I can't see a reversal of course at this point. Even if the New 52 turned out a year from now to be a complete flop, I don't know how DC would come to the conclusion that they should go back to what wasn't working before.

Honestly, I think for those of us in mourning, feeling disenfranchised by the DCnU, the best thing we can hope for is that DC's new direction is a huge success, exceeding all expectations, and that Multiversity is also a huge success. If a stronger, more profitable DC sees that fans will accept and enjoy alternative versions of their characters without diluting the popularity of their main line, perhaps they will feel secure enough to throw us old-timers a bone and give us something like a "Legends of the DC Universe" anthology series continuing the continuity of "Old New Earth," now reassigned to another Earth in the Multiverse. If that were successful, maybe we'd even see a small line of 4 or 5 titles set on that Earth.

But it's all dependent on the expansion of the market and/or DC's market share. If they can't "make the pie higher," I can't imagine how any of that would occur.
ddf
Cousin Cory Springhorn View Post
This is an excellent post! I agree. This was a move intended to save DC for the long haul - and if it works it actually strengthens comics as an industry. If it flopped that would be bad for everyone. And, if it succeeds there is certainly room for "Esleworlds" stories that satisfy those who still miss what was. I'm one of those very old fans who may miss some parts of the old universe, but who is still pulling for this to be a great success.

Long time Flash fan - you can find me here and at The Fastest Forum Alive! or at my blog Barry Allen's Comics and More
Old September 9th, 2011   Timekeeper is offline   #9
Timekeeper
Advanced Geoffan

At best, I think we'll slowly see elements of the old DCU creep back in only if they're successful. At the end of the day, DC is a business, and they're going to publish what sells. Of course, some of the relaunch titles will eventually be cancelled, and when it comes time to pick who's next up at bat I think we'll see a steady mix of old and new titles.

Damn, I needed a new signature :P