The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Justice League

Old September 2nd, 2011   vh4ever is offline   #97
vh4ever*
DOOM!

If you're lucky it'll be delayed enough in the mail that you can read issue #2 at the same time.
ddf
MattDiCarlo View Post
When Lee finishes it in December??? I kid...

trying to decide which hand to chop off come this fall when Diamond Dave returns....
Old September 2nd, 2011   married guy is offline   #98
married guy
The 3 Legged Horseman

Zing!

'My name is Wally West. I'm the Flash!'
I'm in a very abusive relationship with DC, and I just keep coming back for more. - Fastest
Old September 2nd, 2011   Lucifer complex is offline   #99
Lucifer complex
expressway to Hell

I bought the new issue. I read throught it, and while it was a good start for a new reader of the JLA, it isn't my cup of tea. I am of the older generation of readers of the JLA and I just don't have the time to live through a retelling of the who DC universe. I will just spend my time filling in the older issues.

Old September 3rd, 2011   curiouswanderer is offline   #100
curiouswanderer
O'Brian Tallent

Here is why I thought this book was a failure:

Not because of poor characterization, lack of plots/sub-plots, bad pacing or any of the rest of the stuff being put forward.

This book was mean to hook the new reader into the DCnU. This is why it was the only book released this week set i the DCnU. I believe DC has made a major tactical mistake on that point.

Once upon a time, each of us was a new comic reader. Each of us picked up our first comic at some point. Something in that comic grabbed our imaginations and made us care about the characters. We needed to learn more immediately.

My first comic, other than Archie's, was Crisis on Infinite Earths #7. I didn't have a clue what was going on, but that didn't matter. I saw glimpses of characters I recognized from the Super Friends TV show, but who were all these other dozens of characters? I needed to know more, right away. The scope of what I had in my hands was unlike anything I ever imagined possible. In that moment, I understood what draws in comic fans: an entertainment medium not limited by budgets or programming schedules, rather only by imagination.

In all my years being involved in the hobby, from a new reader, to a hardcore collector, to a multiple-time LCS employee, and now as simply someone who enjoys reading comics, I've yet to hear of a new reader getting hooked on comics by starting at the ground floor on any line.

So while I hope this project succeeds, I think at the 12 month point when it's clear the new readers aren't sticking around and the old readers haven't come back, DC will begin to realize the massive error they've made. There's nothing I want more that for the comics hobby to grow, but this may be the biggest mistake ever made in this industry.
ddf
Spire2000 View Post
Great point!

*as an aside I'm still waiting for my sub JL 1 to arrive in the mail - when I get it and read it I'll post my review here *

My 1st comic wasn't a 1st issue of a series either, it was Super Powers Volume 2 #4, which I got because I was a long-time Superfan and wondered who the cool looking hero on the cover with Supes was

That comic ultimately brought me into the 80's Firestorm series and I've been a big fan of Ol Flamehead fan ever since

I think they should've released 5-10 relaunch comics this week: JL of course, 1 Bat comic, 1 Supes comic, the WW comic, 1-2 GL comics and if they wanted to go for more than 5 or 6 an assortment of others, perhaps some featuring more obscure characters like Blue Beetle

But for people who wanted to buy more than 1 new comic this week, their attention will be turned to the Marvel-ous co. and other competitors of DC!
ddf
Lady Obie View Post
I really feel this should have been the way to go. I actually did buy some Marvel Comics that I hadn't had the extra money for in past weeks. I'm a long (long long long) time comics reader...my first comics were Wonder Woman, Super Friends and Justice League of America. With Super Friends and JLA I immediately got interested in the characters and wanted to come back for more. Here, there really weren't any characters to get interested in. They gave us the most popular characters that every one already knows about plus someone who looks kind of like Superman...but I'm not so sure he is anymore. If I were a new reader, there wouldn't have been anything here to draw me back.

Havenplace Community Youth Center

My curiouswandering Space

Not all who wander are lost. ~JRR Tolkien
Old September 3rd, 2011   Kyer is offline   #101
Kyer
Sorry MkBear

I really feel this should have been the way to go. I actually did buy some Marvel Comics that I hadn't had the extra money for in past weeks. I'm a long (long long long) time comics reader...my first comics were Wonder Woman, Super Friends and Justice League of America. With Super Friends and JLA I immediately got interested in the characters and wanted to come back for more. Here, there really weren't any characters to get interested in. They gave us the most popular characters that every one already knows about plus someone who looks kind of like Superman...but I'm not so sure he is anymore. If I were a new reader, there wouldn't have been anything here to draw me back.
ddf
curiouswanderer View Post
Note that I've only seen previews and scans (probably about 1/4 of the book):

The artwork was very nice and I actually am starting to like Superman's new duds if not so much the armored look of it; the characters were...meh. If I knew absolutely nothing about the background of Superman, Batman, and The Green Lantern I might have been a bit more intrigued. As it was the [apparent] 'punch him first, ask questions later' mentality of all three was a turn off. If I was a victim of a crime, I'd be as worried about being left alone with those three as I would be abandoned to Luthor.

People had been working for so many years to make the world a safe organized place. Nobody realized how boring it would become. ~Palahniuk
Old September 5th, 2011   TheOptimist is offline   #102
TheOptimist

I was remarkably impressed by this issue.

And as a note, it has been reported that Lee has already finished issue #2.

De-zing.

Old September 5th, 2011   Spire2000 is offline   #103
Spire2000
Neo Geoffan

I was remarkably impressed by this issue.

And as a note, it has been reported that Lee has already finished issue #2.

De-zing.
ddf
TheOptimist View Post
Geez, I hope so. # 2 hits stands in three weeks. If he wasn't finished at this point, they'd be in heaps of trouble.

If Lee is on schedule, he'd be finishing up #4 right about now.

Old September 7th, 2011   Jorge Martinez is offline   #104
Jorge Martinez
Advanced Geoffan

Default Underwhelmed

Great art. I love the new costumes. The story? Except for the reveal of the big bad...it did not interest me at all.

This was the kick off to the nu DC?! Not dramatic enough. We needed more JL members. I like the updated costumes I've seen, I like that it's just JL not JLA, etc. Little modern updates. But the story? Eh.

I just read Action, JLI, Batgirl, and Detective #1. None of them did anything to excite me at all. For the last year and a half I've buying just the Legion titles...seems that will continue to be the only DC comics I buy.

Sorry I did read Stormwatch (i wasn't a big fan of it before.) That does have my interest.

Old September 8th, 2011   virtuadept is offline   #105
virtuadept
bye.

Finally got my copy yesterday and read this last night.

Some random thoughts. Spoilers Ahoy!

I actually had the exact thought mentioned earlier in the thread when I got to the end "Well that was a good issue of Brave and the Bold".

Cover is so terribly misleading. Covers on modern comics piss me off regularly. They promise one thing, and then the book delivers something totally different. It's bait and switch. Its wrong. I don't care if it's "artistic" or WTF. If the cover has all the JLA on it, then the issue should.

Green Lantern was characterized SPOT ON. Remember this is a cocky little jet jock that just found a power ring. He thought he was invincible BEFORE he got the ring. The ring only doubly reinforced that idea in Hal's mind. He doesn't have the years of experience in superheroing to temper that "boldness" yet.

Batman was also pretty close to spot on. He considers Gotham HIS. He works in the shadows. He uses FEAR as a weapon. He's arrogant, and he's a genius. He gathers information about metas, potential threats to his domain. He reject's GL's macho methods in favor of coming up with an actual PLAN and using subtlety.

The 5 year thing. Wow, so jarring, so unrealistic, so in your face. Unless they toss out tons of stories as no longer canon it just is not feasible. I know I should not get worked up about this but why did they even have to put a number to this? It would have been just as good and just as effective to write "At the dawn of the superhero era..." instead of "5 years ago" and I would not have this hang up.

GL's "just a guy in a bat suit" line. So hilarious. That was the best part of the issue to me.

Darkseid. Not really thrilled that he will be the first villain of the nU-JLA. To me he should basically be the ultimate threat, and they're starting off with that instead of working up to it. Then again if they can make him the team's ongoing nemesis that may be pretty cool since he is an excellent villain.

While I didn't expect them not to write directly for the trade, it is disappointing that they are doing it. This issue simply does not stand on its own two feet. I mean, yes, I enjoyed it, but its just chapter 1 of 6 and in no way does it provide any satisfaction. This is why I switched all my Marvel and basically almost everything besides DC over to trades. If writers write too heavily to the trade, then I will buy in trade, because it reads too much better in that format. Not to mention stores better and resells better. I'm already planning on switching JLA to trades after the first arc (since I'm ordered to #3 already).

ART yes, very fantastic, this is one of the best looking comics I've seen in a while. I mean, yes there are other comics that look great. But this one felt like a grade up in quality. IMHO this issue puts just about anything Marvel has put out in recent memory to shame. If Marvel has captured all the new great writers (debatable) then (debatable) DC has captured all the great artists.

Anyway, this issue was a solid read, fun for me, but ultimately, unfufilling. Is it new reader friendly? Yes I think so, very much so. But it feels more like a Batman issue or a BatB than a JLA book, which may not matter to a newcomer or maybe they wanted hot team action and got a team-up instead. I dunno. I think this will read a LOT better in trade, I think once the whole story is out it will get some high praise, based on the quality of it and where it seems to be going. But as a stand alone issue, I have to say it does not quite deliver, or at least not to the level that they hyped it up to.

ART: 5/5
(comic art rarely looks this good)

WRITING: 4/5
(mainly for dialog I really liked and good characterization)

OVERALL: 3.5/5
(the sum of the parts is not representative of what a new #1 JLA book should be, IMHO, or a line-wide reboot issue)

- VirtuAdept - VACATION MODE. Apparently few here really like my posts. It was a fun few years. Catch you on the flip side.
Old September 8th, 2011   Matt Olsen is offline   #106
Matt Olsen
Dark Lord of Daffodils

I liked it. The guys in the suits had distinct personalities. Characterization instead of continuity pr0n - that's really the promise of this relaunch, right? If so, well done. We'll get to the rest of the team in time.

I'm a trade waiting type of guy these days, but I'm buying some of these #1s just to see if the book are worth picking up down the road. So far so good on this one.

"He's a semi-aquatic, egg-laying mammal of action..."
Old September 8th, 2011   sylpemberton is offline   #107
sylpemberton
A Ginger Horseman

Location: Wish I could say New York but no I'm stuck twelve hours North East by car...

The 5 year thing. Wow, so jarring, so unrealistic, so in your face. Unless they toss out tons of stories as no longer canon it just is not feasible. I know I should not get worked up about this but why did they even have to put a number to this? It would have been just as good and just as effective to write "At the dawn of the superhero era..." instead of "5 years ago" and I would not have this hang up.
ddf
virtuadept View Post
They did throw out a bunch of books. If you read JLI it appears that:

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
there was no previous JLI, Booster has never been a member of the Justice League, and the UN has never sanctioned a team before

They've rebooted but kept some big "events" intact. So some of the characters are at quite similar places in their adventures while others are at entirely new starting points...

Old September 8th, 2011   virtuadept is offline   #108
virtuadept
bye.

right but i have read (elsewhere, in some interview maybe) that Batman's continuity is relatively intact as it was right before Flashpoint. I mean, that just isn't possible. Batman can not have done all the stuff in his Batman book in that time, much less all the stuff he does in all the other books he's been in in that time. If the 5 year thing is true, then that means basically every day is a new crisis of some sort. Average citizens of DCnU must be in a constant state of shock.

- VirtuAdept - VACATION MODE. Apparently few here really like my posts. It was a fun few years. Catch you on the flip side.
Old September 9th, 2011   Cousin Cory Springhorn is offline   #109
Cousin Cory Springhorn
Advanced Geoffan

right but i have read (elsewhere, in some interview maybe) that Batman's continuity is relatively intact as it was right before Flashpoint. I mean, that just isn't possible. Batman can not have done all the stuff in his Batman book in that time, much less all the stuff he does in all the other books he's been in in that time. If the 5 year thing is true, then that means basically every day is a new crisis of some sort. Average citizens of DCnU must be in a constant state of shock.
ddf
virtuadept View Post
Two points that will hopefully help you out here:
1) DC recognizes your concern about Batman's timeline, and has confirmed that Batman has been around for more than five years, pre-dating Superman as an active vigilante, but his existence was not known to (or believed by) the public, making Superman the first "public" super hero.

2) It's probably less correct to say that Batman's continuity is intact, and more correct to say that we find Batman more or less in the same place in Batman #1 as we left him pre-Flashpoint. Perhaps a confusing distinction, but in other words: he was gone a while, then returned and started Batman, Inc. His son Damian is Robin, and prior to that the Robin identity was held by Dick (Nightwing) Grayson, Jason (Red Hood) Todd, and Tim (Red Robin) Drake. So the broad strokes of history, and the details of the very recent past are intact, but don't assume that "Brave & the Bold" #157, "Batman Family" #11, "Shadow of the Bat" #46, etc. are all still in canon.
I'm guessing Batman & the Outsiders is gone.
I'd be surprised if Bruce had his back broken and was temporarily replaced by Jean-Paul Valley.
There's no reason to suppose that "Cataclysm" and "No Man's Land" are part of the backstory.
A lot is still unknown. In pre-Flashpoint continuity, Dick, Jason, and Tim had all been legally adopted by Bruce at one time or another- we don't know yet if all or any of them were in the DCnU. (Though I have noted that the "Teen Titans" solicits have identified Red Robin as "Tim Drake" rather than "Tim Drake Wayne.")

Old September 9th, 2011   Amentep is offline   #110
Amentep

ddf
virtuadept View Post
To me, since the stories really aren't a chronicle of events that happen but more a never ending serial, I don't worry about how stuff happened.

I didn't read a Batman book and wonder how he had 70 years of adventure while in his 30s pre-Flashpoint anymore than I wonder how he's had 70 years of adventure in a 5 year span post Flashpoint.

To my mind - and you may disagree - its losing the idea of the forest by concentrating on the trees.

Old September 10th, 2011   virtuadept is offline   #111
virtuadept
bye.

I'm familiar with the idea of a sliding timescale which is why I said they should have just left it VAGUE instead of "5 years ago".

That's all I'm saying on this in this thread, it's not the main topic.

Old September 10th, 2011   chrisbenes is offline   #112
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

Two points that will hopefully help you out here:
1) DC recognizes your concern about Batman's timeline, and has confirmed that Batman has been around for more than five years, pre-dating Superman as an active vigilante, but his existence was not known to (or believed by) the public, making Superman the first "public" super hero.

2) It's probably less correct to say that Batman's continuity is intact, and more correct to say that we find Batman more or less in the same place in Batman #1 as we left him pre-Flashpoint. Perhaps a confusing distinction, but in other words: he was gone a while, then returned and started Batman, Inc. His son Damian is Robin, and prior to that the Robin identity was held by Dick (Nightwing) Grayson, Jason (Red Hood) Todd, and Tim (Red Robin) Drake. So the broad strokes of history, and the details of the very recent past are intact, but don't assume that "Brave & the Bold" #157, "Batman Family" #11, "Shadow of the Bat" #46, etc. are all still in canon.
I'm guessing Batman & the Outsiders is gone.
I'd be surprised if Bruce had his back broken and was temporarily replaced by Jean-Paul Valley.
There's no reason to suppose that "Cataclysm" and "No Man's Land" are part of the backstory.
A lot is still unknown. In pre-Flashpoint continuity, Dick, Jason, and Tim had all been legally adopted by Bruce at one time or another- we don't know yet if all or any of them were in the DCnU. (Though I have noted that the "Teen Titans" solicits have identified Red Robin as "Tim Drake" rather than "Tim Drake Wayne.")
ddf
Cousin Cory Springhorn View Post
can I ask how old Batman is supposed to be?

SPOON!!!!

Independent George