The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old June 7th, 2011   Kyer is offline   #1009
Kyer
Sorry MkBear

Gosh, where did all these people see the movie and how did you luck into following all of them?

EDIT: Gee, based on this I did some searching and all I keep finding are recaps of the same few tweets. Hopefully, those are all the tweets and they didn't cherrypick the positive ones to build a buzz. Because, gosh, the fact that no ojne person had no single issue with any aspect of the film (not even a minor nitpick) comes off as....suspicious to me.

But I'm still hoping the film will be keen.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
Agreed. When checking consumer reviews I always discount the top and bottom 10% of them as already biased. With movies, I prefer reviews from areas that are not automatically drawn to fantasy. If they rave on it...it's a win.

People had been working for so many years to make the world a safe organized place. Nobody realized how boring it would become. ~Palahniuk
Old June 8th, 2011   General grievous is offline   #1010
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

Some people already viewed the movie, and they loved it. They are not obliged to write a full review.

If anything, it's the fans of the comics that would be harsher on it(So to see fans say something good of it would mean something), than regular non-comic reading movie goers.

Just look at how bad the X-Men fans are reaction to all the continuity mess in First Class and how it doesn't fit snugly with the first few X-Men films and Wolverine.

"There is a Grant, Morrison be thy name!"
Old June 8th, 2011   jafabian is offline   #1011
jafabian
Iím not dead.

Some people already viewed the movie, and they loved it. They are not obliged to write a full review.

If anything, it's the fans of the comics that would be harsher on it(So to see fans say something good of it would mean something), than regular non-comic reading movie goers.

Just look at how bad the X-Men fans are reaction to all the continuity mess in First Class and how it doesn't fit snugly with the first few X-Men films and Wolverine.
ddf
General grievous View Post

Considering that its the top movie at the box office that kinda makes it seem like there's not many fans of the comic!

I think most comic fans understand that a movie about a comic will have its differences from said comic. When people pay a ticket for a movie, overall they want their moneys worth.

Old June 8th, 2011   General grievous is offline   #1012
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

Considering that its the top movie at the box office that kinda makes it seem like there's not many fans of the comic!

I think most comic fans understand that a movie about a comic will have its differences from said comic. When people pay a ticket for a movie, overall they want their moneys worth.
ddf
jafabian View Post
It's still actually under-performing at the box-office (Yes, I know, this seems silly given the fact that it's number 1 at the moment) And has Super 8 coming out this friday as well which is sure to make a dint or two.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3179&p=.htm

Wolverine's absence was felt as X-Men: First Class's attendance hit a franchise low in its debut. The Hangover Part II crashed after a wild opening, while Kung Fu Panda 2 didn't save face.
ddf
X-Men: First Class squeaked by with a passable $55.1 million on approximately 6,900 screens at 3,641 locations, and it's looking more like the fanboy fantasia it sounded like when first announced than something that will advance the franchise. Sure, the first X-Men movie opened to $54.5 million, but $55.1 million in 2011 is far less impressive than $54.5 million in 2000. The first X-Men's start was the equivalent of over $79 million adjusted for ticket price inflation. More telling, though, is that First Class marked a sizable step down from X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which made $85.1 million in its opening weekend.
ddf

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3180&p=.htm

Pirates Out-class X-Men overseas.

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides reigned over the foreign box office for the third weekend in a row and extended its lead as the biggest movie of 2011 so far. Close behind for the weekend was The Hangover Part II, which added some key markets, and X-Men: First Class, debuting in most of the world.
ddf

Old June 8th, 2011   TJLamb0518 is offline   #1013
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

It's still actually under-performing at the box-office (Yes, I know, this seems silly given the fact that it's number 1 at the moment) And has Super 8 coming out this friday as well which is sure to make a dint or two.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3179&p=.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3180&p=.htm

Pirates Out-class X-Men overseas.
ddf
Gosh, thanks for agreeing with me and proving jafabians' point. The reviews appear mixed (until you go to rottentomates.com where it's 86% favorable, beating Kung Fu Panda 2, Thor, Fast Five and Super 8) but it's making a lot of money (gosh yes, it did not meet the 60M estimate, but it made 55.1M...not small change) so it just goes to show that reviews are not exactly a basis for opinion or hype.

Glad we could all agree and not turn this into an icky company bashing/hyping based on existing prejudices (especially since neither comic company actually made the movies in question so that would be a silly billy move to make).

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old June 8th, 2011   General grievous is offline   #1014
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

Gosh,86%
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
Good golly gosh trend setter.

That percentage is not fixed though.

Old June 8th, 2011   TJLamb0518 is offline   #1015
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Good golly gosh trend setter.

That percentage is not fixed though.
ddf
Heck, no....but since the movie has been out a week, most of the professional reviews are in. So it's pretty set as far as the real reviews go.

Unless you're counting users who aren't professionals. They found it even keener with 88% liking it.

I'm sure GL will pull similar numbers a week after it's opening, so that's a good sign.

Old June 8th, 2011   General grievous is offline   #1016
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

Hopefully.

I think the overall percentage still changes after the first week. I could be wrong.
The critic reviews across the board take more than a week to be collected and saved.

Sure Thor started really strong and then kept dropping until it hit #78 percent.
Still good numbers and not bashing that movie by any means.

Old June 8th, 2011   Captain_Meh is offline   #1017
Captain_Meh

I remember when Raiders of the Lost Ark first hit theaters, well before home video systems were out.

It ran in theaters for well over one whole year -- because people kept coming back to see it, again and again.

And nowadays people can't believe it if a movie is in theaters for a month. Things have definitely changed.

Old June 10th, 2011   General grievous is offline   #1018
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

Nice.
Going to the Irish Premier of Green Lantern next Wednesday.

Hopefully we have a review on later on that night with plenty of spoilers. I will use SPOILER TAGS, so just don't read them if you don't want to be spoiled. They will be clearly marked.

Peace.

Old June 10th, 2011   TJLamb0518 is offline   #1019
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Nice.
Going to the Irish Premier of Green Lantern next Wednesday.

Hopefully we have a review on later on that night with plenty of spoilers. I will use SPOILER TAGS, so just don't read them if you don't want to be spoiled. They will be clearly marked.

Peace.
ddf
Gee, since Geoff is writing this and all, you may want to clear that idea with the mods first and get them on board. I'm sure they'll say it's peachy.

Old June 10th, 2011   General grievous is offline   #1020
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

Gee, Geoff wrote the movie now.............I hope they told Berlanti and Guggenheim.

Old June 10th, 2011   TJLamb0518 is offline   #1021
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Gee, Geoff wrote the movie now.............I hope they told Berlanti and Guggenheim.

ddf
Well, gosh, that's all well and good and true, but I hope that didn't detract from the advice. After all, we both know the brouhaha that happens from spoiling things in detail prior to their release and how this site looks at that, eh? So, I'm just thinking it would be best for everyone to get their okey and their dokey before doing so, right?

Old June 11th, 2011   General grievous is offline   #1022
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

Sound advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old June 13th, 2011   BrandonFordDodds is offline   #1023
BrandonFordDodds
Geoffan

Well, gosh, that's all well and good and true, but I hope that didn't detract from the advice. After all, we both know the brouhaha that happens from spoiling things in detail prior to their release and how this site looks at that, eh? So, I'm just thinking it would be best for everyone to get their okey and their dokey before doing so, right?
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
Who are you and what have you done with TJLamb?

Old June 14th, 2011   TJLamb0518 is offline   #1024
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Who are you and what have you done with TJLamb?
ddf
BrandonFordDodds View Post
Golly, why do people keep asking this?