The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Television, Movies and Animation

Television, Movies and Animation aka The Talkies!

Old May 29th, 2011   jafabian is offline   #177
jafabian
I’m not dead.

From CBR's Spinoff Online: Banshee Takes Flight In Latest Clip From X-Men: First Class

Old June 3rd, 2011   Green Effigy is offline   #178
Green Effigy

Default X-Men First Class

The movie was amazing, I though Thor had started the 2011 Summer but I was wrong. First Class is a 10 out of 10, it had everything that fans love and do not expect. All the elements are there.

The relationship between Professor X and Magneto's alter ego is emotional, touching and funny. Kevin Bacon is a bad ass! Forget Footloose and Hollowman, Bacon plays an amazing Sebastian Shaw, no one can touch him.

I understand why the 60's was the time period for this movie and why is it important for fans and new fans to understand.

If you are a fan, try not to compare the movies to the comic books. There is not enough time to encapsule 60 years of stories in 2 hours, but the entertainment value is all there. It doesn't feel like a Singer movie nor a Ratner movie. Vaugh did a great job, if there is going to be a sequel/trilogy to these films the same way as they did this movie, they will not dissapoint anyone.

Enjoy the film and the surprises in the film.

In Blackest Day, In Darkest Night.....
Old June 3rd, 2011   ADGood is offline   #179
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

Lots of cool stuff (99% of it involving Magneto in some capacity), lots of cheesy stuff (crudely CGI-ing one actress' face onto a younger actress' body for a really squicky cameo, for example). Overall, I think it fits in pretty well with the other four flicks. The moral of the film seems to be, "Dude, Magneto is totally right. Humans suck." I mean, that was kind of the message of the first three films, but it wasn't as all-encompassing or as pervasive as it is here. Bold message for a superhero movie to have, I think.

On the plus side, setting the movie in the 60's means that, suddenly, all of the really, really stupid science is understandable, because you can absolutely believe that those ideas would fly back then. Like when the bad guy thinks that atom bombs are what create mutants, despite him meeting Magneto well before the first one was dropped - hell, I buy it. Or Xavier trotting out some ridiculously crackpot theory about how humans evolved - hey, '62 was a primitive era, before they discovered electricity and modern toilets. Or something like that.

But, yeah, Magneto rocks. Way back when, they talked about doing a Magneto origins movie, and I think that project morphed into this one. And it shows; this is his picture start to finish (literally). Dude's got charisma. This is a guy who can tell a girl, "You know, you should just walk around naked all the time, because I think you look better that way," and she will totally do it. Because he's just that convincing. I'm willing to bet he tried the same line on Angel and Emma right after he busted the latter out of jail. We'll have to wait for the sequel to see if they went for it, too.

Old June 3rd, 2011   Green Guardsman is offline   #180
Green Guardsman
Master Geoffan

Is there a bonus scene after the credits?

Old June 4th, 2011   ADGood is offline   #181
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

Of course, by now everyone in the theater stayed until the credits were over, and, as such, were equally surprised by the lack of a post-credits scene.

Old June 4th, 2011   SageShinigami is offline   #182
SageShinigami
Master Geoffan

Lots of cool stuff (99% of it involving Magneto in some capacity), lots of cheesy stuff (crudely CGI-ing one actress' face onto a younger actress' body for a really squicky cameo, for example). Overall, I think it fits in pretty well with the other four flicks. The moral of the film seems to be, "Dude, Magneto is totally right. Humans suck." I mean, that was kind of the message of the first three films, but it wasn't as all-encompassing or as pervasive as it is here. Bold message for a superhero movie to have, I think.

On the plus side, setting the movie in the 60's means that, suddenly, all of the really, really stupid science is understandable, because you can absolutely believe that those ideas would fly back then. Like when the bad guy thinks that atom bombs are what create mutants, despite him meeting Magneto well before the first one was dropped - hell, I buy it. Or Xavier trotting out some ridiculously crackpot theory about how humans evolved - hey, '62 was a primitive era, before they discovered electricity and modern toilets. Or something like that.

But, yeah, Magneto rocks. Way back when, they talked about doing a Magneto origins movie, and I think that project morphed into this one. And it shows; this is his picture start to finish (literally). Dude's got charisma. This is a guy who can tell a girl, "You know, you should just walk around naked all the time, because I think you look better that way," and she will totally do it. Because he's just that convincing. I'm willing to bet he tried the same line on Angel and Emma right after he busted the latter out of jail. We'll have to wait for the sequel to see if they went for it, too.
ddf
ADGood View Post
lol...guess someone wasn't a fan.

Of course, by now everyone in the theater stayed until the credits were over, and, as such, were equally surprised by the lack of a post-credits scene.
ddf
ADGood View Post
I had to explain that to a few friends who didn't know this wasn't made by the people that made Marvel's other films.

Old June 4th, 2011   Green Effigy is offline   #183
Green Effigy

Yes there is, and it leaves room from future installments.

In Blackest Day, In Darkest Night.....
Old June 4th, 2011   curiouswanderer is offline   #184
curiouswanderer
O'Brian Tallent

I didn't find anything at the end of the movie. What was there that you saw?

Havenplace Community Youth Center

My curiouswandering Space

Not all who wander are lost. ~JRR Tolkien
Old June 4th, 2011   Capt America1941 is offline   #185
Capt America1941
Advanced Geoffan

Yes there is, and it leaves room from future installments.
ddf
Green Effigy View Post
What bonus scene did you see? There wasn't one where I saw it.

fight the power !!!!! don't register!!!
Old June 4th, 2011   Billy Batson is offline   #186
Billy Batson
Neo Geoffan

LOL! I did not wait after the credits as I had not heard of any extra clips and decided to gamble and not wait.

Read my movie reviews at my site
Old June 4th, 2011   ADGood is offline   #187
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

lol...guess someone wasn't a fan.
ddf
SageShinigami View Post
Who? 'Cuz I liked it. Did you not like it? Why not?

Old June 4th, 2011   Green Guardsman is offline   #188
Green Guardsman
Master Geoffan

I didn't find anything at the end of the movie. What was there that you saw?
ddf
curiouswanderer View Post
I just visited Newsarama and they claim that there is no after credits bonus scene. I didn't want to read the other First Class thread because I didn't want to be spoiled before seeing the film.

Old June 4th, 2011   ADGood is offline   #189
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

I didn't want to read the other First Class thread because I didn't want to be spoiled before seeing the film.
ddf
Green Guardsman View Post
Seriously? Is that why this thread still exists?

Old June 4th, 2011   Green Guardsman is offline   #190
Green Guardsman
Master Geoffan

Seriously? Is that why this thread still exists?
ddf
ADGood View Post
Why yes it is, seriously. Completely. Totally. Absolutely.

Seriously.

Old June 4th, 2011   ADGood is offline   #191
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

Why yes it is, seriously. Completely. Totally. Absolutely.

Seriously.
ddf
Green Guardsman View Post
Positively? Factually? Honest and for true?

Old June 4th, 2011   Green Guardsman is offline   #192
Green Guardsman
Master Geoffan

Positively? Factually? Honest and for true?
ddf
ADGood View Post
To the Max!