The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old January 2nd, 2011   darthlucifuge is offline   #1
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

Default DC: Drawing the Line @ $2.99

http://www.dccomics.com/sites/299/

"Beginning January 2011, DC Comics will implement a line-wide pricing adjustment, lowering the prices of all standard length 32-page ongoing comic book titles currently priced at $3.99 to $2.99.

"This announcement reaffirms DC Comics' commitment to both our core fans and to comic book store retailers," said Jim Lee, DC Comics Co-Publisher. "For the long term health of the industry, we are willing to take a financial risk so that readers who love our medium do not abandon the art form."

"As Co-Publishers, we listened to our fans and to our partners in the retail community who told us that a $3.99 price point for 32 pages was too expensive. Fans were becoming increasingly reluctant to sample new titles and long term fans were beginning to abandon titles and characters that they'd collected for years," said Dan DiDio, DC Comics Co-Publisher. "We needed a progressive pricing strategy that supports our existing business model and, more importantly, allows this creative industry to thrive for years to come. With the exceptions of oversized comic books, like annuals and specials, we are committed to a $2.99 price point."

wow.

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old January 2nd, 2011   jafabian is offline   #2
jafabian
I’m not dead.

Excellent. Both the statement and the pic! From this I see that Green Lantern will be the golden child of 2011. I hope they make this a wallpaper.

Old January 2nd, 2011   manwithnoname is offline   #3
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

running in sand is hard.

Old January 6th, 2011   M.A.X is offline   #4
M.A.X

Ummm.... this should mean that Canadian comics should be going down by a buck too... but it didn;t seem it.

Old January 6th, 2011   virtuadept is offline   #5
virtuadept
bye.

I wish they had a Justice League book with the line up from this image in it.

- VirtuAdept - VACATION MODE. Apparently few here really like my posts. It was a fun few years. Catch you on the flip side.
Old January 6th, 2011   manwithnoname is offline   #6
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

I wish they had a Justice League book with the line up from this image in it.
ddf
virtuadept View Post
...and running in sand.

Old January 9th, 2011   kirwan is offline   #7
kirwan

I love me some Ivan Reis, but he drew Barry Allen in there twice. "Still only ˘35" has nothing on this!

Old January 9th, 2011   Dan Loayza is offline   #8
Dan Loayza
Whiteside Pawn

I love me some Ivan Reis, but he drew Barry Allen in there twice.
ddf
kirwan View Post
That was intentional. Notice the motion blur?

#HEEL
Old January 9th, 2011   Danny Perkins is offline   #9
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

Well I'm eating my foot. I was on record as saying prices would never go down and I'm shocked by this. It will be interesting to see if the competition follows suit.

If you weren't expecting this to be good, then you need to go and read a bunch of Greg Rucka comics. - MattDiCarlo
Old January 9th, 2011   kirwan is offline   #10
kirwan

That was intentional. Notice the motion blur?
ddf
Dan Loayza View Post
Ha! I did not notice that!!

Old January 9th, 2011   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #11
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

I am very happy DC is doing this...really I am but the risk part makes me laugh. They never should have increased the comics from 2.99 to 3.99 to begin with. It was way too soon from the 2.50 to 2.99 increase and after all the years of having 25 cent increase they had mucho balls increasing a dollar anyway. And after seeing the comic companies digital prices I'm of the belief these increases are caused by greed and not so much anything else. The publishers better watch themselves or they are gonna price themselves right out business.

Looking to trade my single issues for the trade paperbacks. Inbox me if interested. Green Lantern, JSA, Avengers and many DC & Marvel books.
Old January 10th, 2011   DSumner is offline   #12
DSumner
Neo Geoffan

While the price reduction is much appreciated, I still think $2.99 is a bit to high.

Old January 10th, 2011   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #13
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

While the price reduction is much appreciated, I still think $2.99 is a bit to high.
ddf
DSumner View Post
Yes it is.

Looking to trade my single issues for the trade paperbacks. Inbox me if interested. Green Lantern, JSA, Avengers and many DC & Marvel books.
Old January 10th, 2011   sylpemberton is offline   #14
sylpemberton
A Ginger Horseman

Location: Wish I could say New York but no I'm stuck twelve hours North East by car...

ddf
DSumner View Post
But did DC really reduce the price?

Last time I checked, DC's regular books never raised from $2.99 - only books with added content (back up stories) were coming in at $3.99

They aren't reducing it, they are holding it.

Old January 10th, 2011   virtuadept is offline   #15
virtuadept
bye.

Which is good, and their decision to stick with $2.99 is making me buy more DC than Marvel. This coming from a guy who only came back to comics in 2006 because of Marvel Civil War and had never purchased a DC comic book prior to 2007. I was definitely a "Make Mine Marvel" guy, pretty much until the end of 2009 when Marvel started jacking up their prices.

- VirtuAdept - VACATION MODE. Apparently few here really like my posts. It was a fun few years. Catch you on the flip side.
Old January 10th, 2011   curiouswanderer is offline   #16
curiouswanderer
O'Brian Tallent

Seeing that picture made me really want to see Ivan drawing a JLA book. He even made me like Wonder Woman's new costume!
As for the price, I agree that 2.99 is still too much for a comic (well, obviously not too much cause I still pay it) but 3.99 is definitely way too much. I've cut almost all my Marvel titles in favor of the cheaper DC books.

Havenplace Community Youth Center

My curiouswandering Space

Not all who wander are lost. ~JRR Tolkien