The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old July 20th, 2011   Matches is offline   #1
Matches
stepping aside

Default Digital Comics All-Purpose Discussion Thread

Seeing if there's any interest in a one-stop shop to discuss digital comics news, new releases, etc.

The new offerings for this week include the three DC Retro books that shipped today. They're all priced at $4.99, may drop after a few weeks. Also there are some classic Batman and Flash issues offered, including the Denny O'Neil/ Neil Adams "Joker's Five-Way Revenge" from Batman #251.

On another note, is anyone else having hella problems with the Comixology app crashing? Mine is doing so regularly and is causing me no end of annoyance.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old July 20th, 2011   Jake1823 is offline   #2
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

Haven't really checked, myself.

Here's an interesting article from Publisher's Weekly regarding DC's new digital initiative by David Brothers:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...his-fall-.html

I really do think Vertigo needs be included fast.

Where is everybody?
Old July 20th, 2011   superfriend is offline   #3
superfriend
laughs at comics

Seeing if there's any interest in a one-stop shop to discuss digital comics news, new releases, etc.

The new offerings for this week include the three DC Retro books that shipped today. They're all priced at $4.99, may drop after a few weeks. Also there are some classic Batman and Flash issues offered, including the Denny O'Neil/ Neil Adams "Joker's Five-Way Revenge" from Batman #251.

On another note, is anyone else having hella problems with the Comixology app crashing? Mine is doing so regularly and is causing me no end of annoyance.
ddf
Matches View Post
i don't have much interest in digital till i get a product that's mine and not paying for the privilege of a lending library or something heavily-DRMed but i just rolled into Comixology to do the free previews and everything checks out here. been testing it for the last hour and no crashing.

it may be your setup/some kind've conflict. you may want to contact Comixology for solutions/troubleshooting?

observe everything, admire nothing
Old July 20th, 2011   Matches is offline   #4
Matches
stepping aside

Hmm.. I wonder if David is aware that mobile devices will send push notifications to the user when new titles become available. IOW if you want to just follow, say, "Chew", you can set the device to notify you when a new issue has been posted.

Over July 4th weekend DC did a big Vertigo sales where they added a whole pile of Vertigo issues to their library - some older stuff like Animal Man but also iZombie, Sweet Tooth and American Vampire, among others. They put out new issues of 100 Bullets, Scalped, Fables, and Y each week, so there's definitely a significant Vertigo presence in their digital library. Eventually I think they will go to same-day-digital for Vertigo titles, but in general I think it's less of an issue with those books, since they tend to be less "of the moment". (Something like Y, for example, can be jumped into at any time.)

Old July 20th, 2011   Jake1823 is offline   #5
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

Hmm.. I wonder if David is aware that mobile devices will send push notifications to the user when new titles become available. IOW if you want to just follow, say, "Chew", you can set the device to notify you when a new issue has been posted.

Over July 4th weekend DC did a big Vertigo sales where they added a whole pile of Vertigo issues to their library - some older stuff like Animal Man but also iZombie, Sweet Tooth and American Vampire, among others. They put out new issues of 100 Bullets, Scalped, Fables, and Y each week, so there's definitely a significant Vertigo presence in their digital library. Eventually I think they will go to same-day-digital for Vertigo titles, but in general I think it's less of an issue with those books, since they tend to be less "of the moment". (Something like Y, for example, can be jumped into at any time.)
ddf
Matches View Post
DiDio had a Facebook Q&A with fans yesterday or the day before, and he said that big things were gonna happen for Vertigo at the start of next year. I'm hoping it's that.

I just checked Comixology, and it's working fine for me, btw.

Where is everybody?
Old July 21st, 2011   LastSun is offline   #6
LastSun
Master Geoffan

ddf
Matches View Post
I loved the Wonder Woman sale they did a couple of weeks ago. I got the whole New Frontier series for .99

It looks great! The fat one balances the two skinny ones.

Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?
Old July 21st, 2011   Matches is offline   #7
Matches
stepping aside

Turned out to be an iPad issue, I think. Got the latest IOS upgrade and reset the device and so far it's working fine. I guess I'm supposed to actually turn it off occasionally....

Old July 21st, 2011   LastSun is offline   #8
LastSun
Master Geoffan

Turned out to be an iPad issue, I think. Got the latest IOS upgrade and reset the device and so far it's working fine. I guess I'm supposed to actually turn it off occasionally....
ddf
Matches View Post
I have seen random crashes of the app every once in a while to, and saw some comments either on ComiXology or the App store reviews that talk about similiar problems.

I can't find it now, but I saw a post on the Comixology boards (groups) that said a major release is coming very shortly.

Old July 21st, 2011   Matches is offline   #9
Matches
stepping aside

I have seen random crashes of the app every once in a while to, and saw some comments either on ComiXology or the App store reviews that talk about similiar problems.

I can't find it now, but I saw a post on the Comixology boards (groups) that said a major release is coming very shortly.
ddf
LastSun View Post
They just did a big refresh of the DC app, so hopefully you're right.

Old July 22nd, 2011   LastSun is offline   #10
LastSun
Master Geoffan

They just did a big refresh of the DC app, so hopefully you're right.
ddf
Matches View Post
OK I finally found the thread where I saw them talking about an update

this was from 3 weeks ago

We're working on getting it out ASAP. It may, by chance really, be about SDCC time.
ddf

Old July 21st, 2011   Jake1823 is offline   #11
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

Marvel Digital Panel

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/sdcc...el-110721.html

Spider-man (starting with Spider-Island) and X-Men (in Oct/Nov) titles to go day-and-date. Curious as to what the price point will be. Plus, I'm eager to hear how Bendis reacts.

The rest of this panel seems like filler.

Where is everybody?
Old July 21st, 2011   Matches is offline   #12
Matches
stepping aside

The rest of Marvel's same-day offerings have been cover price - i.e. $3.99 - and they don't drop. Right now the last 8 issues of Ultimate Spidey are on the Marvel App for $3.99 each.

If that's the deal here, then no thanks.

I am interested to see if/ how they can incorporate MDCU with iOS, though.

Old July 21st, 2011   rpi is offline   #13
rpi
Geoffan

The latest DC app update kinda pissed me off in that I had to download every single issue again. Still, I'm very much looking forward to September. The convenience is extremely appealing, and my LCS is more of a card shop than comic shop at this point, so I'm not gonna feel too bad not going there any more. It'll make traveling much easier as well. I just wish they'd start releasing everything done by a creator. I want all of Morrion's work, all of Rucka's, all of Simone's, etc.

Every artist is a cannibal
Every poet is a thief
All kill their inspiration
And sing about the grief
Old July 22nd, 2011   Devlyn16 is offline   #14
Devlyn16
CODA

DC app is loaded into my Phone now.

Question for those more experianced in the Digital format: I have an Android phone and Hope to get an Android tablet by Christmas (Sony S1 or Xoom 2 if it is launched). Am I correct in assuming that issues purchased on my Phone will be readable on my Tablet?

Is it wrong to Quote the Devil if what he is saying is true?
Old July 22nd, 2011   Matches is offline   #15
Matches
stepping aside

The DC stuff works across multiple platforms. You should be fine.

Old July 22nd, 2011   LastSun is offline   #16
LastSun
Master Geoffan

There is also a DC branded app coming soon for Android