The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old September 7th, 2006   StarFlash is offline   #33
StarFlash
Geoffan

One more question...will we find out why Bart doesn't use his "scouts" anymore?? That's been a question I've had since Impulse and Young Justice ended. The "scouts" seemed to have ended with those series.

Total SpeedFreak!
Old September 7th, 2006   Wg2100s is offline   #34
Wg2100s
Neo Geoffan

Question unrelated to Flash.I loved that little unknown show called"the Sentinel".do you know if it is going to be on dvd.Will you provide commentary if they asked? thanks for your time.

Old September 7th, 2006   Atom Palmer is offline   #35
Atom Palmer
Neo Geoffan

One more question...will we find out why Bart doesn't use his "scouts" anymore?? That's been a question I've had since Impulse and Young Justice ended. The "scouts" seemed to have ended with those series.
ddf
StarFlash View Post

I think it ended with the death of one of his scouts on the planet of Apoklips, but I'm not certain.

It was an odd power in the first place, and I'd like to pretend it never happened.

Old September 7th, 2006   Kelson is offline   #36
Kelson
Neo Geoffan

I think it ended with the death of one of his scouts on the planet of Apoklips, but I'm not certain.
ddf
Atom Palmer View Post
Yes, and no.

After that incident, Bart was extremely unwilling to use the power. But he did use it twice more before the end of his series.

First, in "World Without Young Justice," he was forced to use it by Bedlam to alter history.

Next, in the second-to-last issue, once he finally found out when Carol and his mother were, he sent a scout to retrieve a time sphere so he could go to the future and return.

It was an odd power in the first place, and I'd like to pretend it never happened.
ddf
I finally tracked down the post by Todd Dezago where he explained that the powers were forced on them by DC:

[Editor Joey Cavilieri] fought for us too, (sadly, without success), when we were forced to give 'Impulse' new powers, then magical powers, and to have Bart and Carol kiss.

"Sadly, though, I think the real obstacle we faced was the constant cross-overs and events thrust on us by DC Editorial. Trying to maintain some sort of storyline, sub-plot, character development, etc. when we are forced to participate in yet another event every third month (four in 2001!!!), is a truly insurmountable task. Painted into corners like that, it has forced me to leave loose ends in this series that I fear I cannot resolve in the two issues I have left to me.
ddf
I will say that "Dark Tomorrow" is a great example of how a good creative team can manage to wrest a good story out of editorially-mandated events.

It's interesting that while they ultimately complied with these various changes, they managed to subvert them every time: Bart and Carol kiss, changing the dynamic of the relationship... so they remove Carol from the picture. Bart gets new powers, so they find a way to make him extremely reluctant to use them. Bart gets more new powers, so they make sure he gets rid of them ASAP.

And back to the two times he used his scouts anyway: One was part of an editorially-mandated crossover that also involved another editorially-mandated change. (WWYJ+magic powers) The other was part of a last-minute effort to resolve as many plotlines as possible in the few issues remaining.
Last edited by Kelson; September 7th, 2006 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Forgot the last bit.

Sooner or later, you realize that Lucy is never going to let you kick the damn football.

Speed Force - Flash news and commentary
Old September 7th, 2006   Danny Bilson is offline   #37
Danny Bilson
professional

Question unrelated to Flash.I loved that little unknown show called"the Sentinel".do you know if it is going to be on dvd.Will you provide commentary if they asked? thanks for your time.
ddf
Wg2100s View Post
Season one is available now on DVD. You can find commentaries at Pet Fly Podcasts on itunes.

Old September 8th, 2006   dmgutierrez is offline   #38
dmgutierrez

You can also find them on myspace.com/petflypodcasts

Old September 20th, 2006   Steve Chung is offline   #39
Steve Chung
Advanced Geoffan

Question:

What was it like working with Robert Shayne (who played Reggie the news vendor) on The Flash TV show?

Loved his work as Inspector Henderson on The Adventures Of Superman.

"Free Steve Chung!"
Old September 22nd, 2006   Danny B is offline   #40
Danny B
Franchise Player

^I didn't know Shayne was on THE FLASH. Which episode(s) did he appear in, Steve?

Old September 22nd, 2006   Fletcher Hawke is offline   #41
Fletcher Hawke
Rum and Arrows Horseman

^I didn't know Shayne was on THE FLASH. Which episode(s) did he appear in, Steve?
ddf
Danny B View Post
I know he was in the Gideon (invisible man) episode. Can't remember for sure what others he may have appeared in. A friend borrowed my DVDs soon after I bought them and still hasn't finished them. I want to say he was in the second Nightshade episode, but can't remember for sure.

And a semi-related question:

Of all the characters from the show to bring in, Joe Kline?

Old September 22nd, 2006   Kelson is offline   #42
Kelson
Neo Geoffan

I know he was in the Gideon (invisible man) episode. Can't remember for sure what others he may have appeared in.
ddf
Fletcher Hawke View Post
IMDB lists "Sins of the Father" (killer escapes from prison and declares revenge on Barry's father) and "Sight Unseen" (the invisible man). Not sure how complete it is.

Sooner or later, you realize that Lucy is never going to let you kick the damn football.

Speed Force - Flash news and commentary
Old September 22nd, 2006   Steve Chung is offline   #43
Steve Chung
Advanced Geoffan

From what I've read, it was the pictures of him as Inspector Henderson with George Reeves as Superman which clinched his casting in the role at the audtion.

Nice touch to the series.

Also enjoyed Dick Miller as Fosnight.

Any memories of the late Jason Bernard, who played Nightshade/Dr. Powell?

Especially enjoyed him on "V", "Herman's Head", "No Way Out", and The Wing Commander PC game.

"Free Steve Chung!"
Old September 22nd, 2006   Steve Chung is offline   #44
Steve Chung
Advanced Geoffan

IMDB lists "Sins of the Father" (killer escapes from prison and declares revenge on Barry's father) and "Sight Unseen" (the invisible man). Not sure how complete it is.
ddf
Kelson View Post
Yup, "Sins Of The Father" with Paul Koslo as Johnny Ray Hicks.

Barry: Hey, Reg... here's a five."

Reggie: "Bull... it's a ten... howya doing, Barry!"

Interesting thing about "Sight Unseen", the episode was pre-empted and shown on a Saturday after golf. I finally saw the episode while on vacation in Guatemala.

Reggie is able to perceive the Invisible Man (Bud Cort, who also did the voice of the Toyman on Superman: The Animated Series).

Hope that Warner Bros reissues the Flash DVD set with some more extras
(I'd be willing to wait and pay for this particular upgrade)

"Free Steve Chung!"
Old September 22nd, 2006   Danny B is offline   #45
Danny B
Franchise Player

Thanks for the answers, everybody. I'll have to check it out. My dad has the Advs of Superman DVD sets so I'll be sure to show him the Flash Shayne scenes the next time he visits.

Any memories of the late Jason Bernard, who played Nightshade/Dr. Powell?

Especially enjoyed him on "V", "Herman's Head", "No Way Out", and The Wing Commander PC game.
ddf
Steve Chung View Post
I remember Jason Bernard played a thug on an episode of The Greatest American Hero. On THE FLASH, I loved his Nightshade character. Since B&D are writing the current FLASH comic, he'd be a welcome addition to the series, in my opinion.

Old September 22nd, 2006   spudman is offline   #46
spudman
Neo Geoffan

Hey,

Just wondering if Wally is going to turn up at any choice in your run?

I like what you guys are doing, it got off to a slow start but things are really picking up for me now

Read Freshmen.....

or else....
Old September 22nd, 2006   Danny Bilson is offline   #47
Danny Bilson
professional

Hey,

Just wondering if Wally is going to turn up at any choice in your run?

I like what you guys are doing, it got off to a slow start but things are really picking up for me now
ddf
spudman View Post

Anything's possible.

Old September 22nd, 2006   dcapps853 is offline   #48
dcapps853
El Duderino loco

Anything's possible.
ddf
Danny Bilson View Post
Please!
Pretty Please!
Pretty Pretty Ple.. ok you get the idea!

"I did not have sexual relations with that spam!" -John Hays