The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

View Poll Results: Have you been enjoying Mr Miracle so far?
Yes 52 71.23%
No 21 28.77%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 12th, 2005   Velocity9 is offline   #1
Velocity9
Power Cosmic Horseman

Default Liking Mr.Miracle so far?

So what do you think? Yes or no?

Personally, I'm not digging it. If it were a mini series that wasn't connected to The Seven Soldiers story, I would have no problem with it. Theres cool stuff in it, like the New Gods are all homless people and The Female Furies are hookers, but wheres the connection? How does The New Gods fit into the Sheeda at all? Dark Side is obviously the main villain here and he isn't a Sheeda, he doesn't appear to be released into the pattern by Zor, I just don't get it. If it weren't for the fact that I'm afraid that the story will have something tied into it on the last page of issue 4, I would have dropped it by now.

Will fight The Amish for money.
Old December 13th, 2005   Rion1986 is offline   #2
Rion1986
persona non grata

I'm not really that into it. It's half way done, and I don't feel as addicted or connected as I did with the first four minis, or even the first issue of Bulleteer.

Old December 13th, 2005   Blacula is offline   #3
Blacula
Geoffan

This is the first Seven Soldiers series that I haven't liked either.

I was quite simply BLOWN AWAY by how good the other series' have all been (and this is coming from someone who doesn't normally like Grant Morrisson's stuff) but this one just doesn't do anything for me.

The art's not clicking (not even Pascaul Ferry whom I normally like), I really don't like the characterisation of Shilo, the New Gods all seem out of place and out of character (not to mention not looking anything like they should), and the story doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I would've dropped it too if I wasn't such a Seven Soldiers completist.

Still I can't complain. After picking up Seven Soldiers 0 on a whim nearly a year ago I've discovered what is probably one of my Top 5 series for 2005! One bad storyline amongst the rest of the golden ones isn't a bad outcome.

Old December 13th, 2005   k26dp is offline   #4
k26dp
Earth-7's L73dp

I'm loving it. Even if it has nothing to do with the rest of Seven Soldiers, it's worth it for Morrison's take on the Fourth World.

But you know it will tie in, probably in a very creative and unexpected way.

Old December 13th, 2005   sonichellboy is offline   #5
sonichellboy
Madvillain

Yeah, I'm gonna reserve judgement until the whole thing is in my hands, but I'm still liking it okay. It's not as mind-blowing as the other minis, but it's got some cool bits in it, and I'm confident the missing pieces will be filled in.

"Within every foe having met defeat waits a beneficial energy to be released"-Grand Buffet

The Long and Short of It
Old December 13th, 2005   Mr. Kayak is offline   #6
Mr. Kayak
Geoffan

i'm liking the story so far, but i'm really upset about the art. i found #2's art VERY disappointing, especially when compared to ferry's work (which i'm a huge fan of).
i guess that i should be happy anyway since until now all the others 7S' artists have all been terrific.

Old December 14th, 2005   siberut is offline   #7
siberut
loves being a geek

im really digging all of the seven soldiers stuff

Are you gonna bark all day little doggie, or are you gonna bite? - Mr. Blond
Old December 14th, 2005   clarkent1982 is offline   #8
clarkent1982*
Citizen

I liked the first issue. The second issue I has to read a few time. Mostly because of the the art, getting a feel for it.

Newsarama journalists ask these questions to Joe Q and Dan Buckley: Why place a $3.99 price tag for only 22 page of materiel?
Old December 16th, 2005   franksmapdi is offline   #9
franksmapdi
Don't be that guy!

It's not bad so far.

Old December 18th, 2005   GLGypsy is offline   #10
GLGypsy
Neo Geoffan

Voted no on this one.
I really don't like the current incarnation of the Mister Miracle. And this Shilo bears little resemblence to the JLA v2 Shilo.
I am supporting it because it is part of the Seven Soldiers series and for very little other reason. The book is readable and has entertainment value, in context with Seven Soldiers it is ok. IMO it wouldn't carry a regular series though.

"When villains want to scare each other, they tell Joker stories."
Old December 19th, 2005   Velocity9 is offline   #11
Velocity9
Power Cosmic Horseman

Voted no on this one.
I really don't like the current incarnation of the Mister Miracle. And this Shilo bears little resemblence to the JLA v2 Shilo.
I am supporting it because it is part of the Seven Soldiers series and for very little other reason. The book is readable and has entertainment value, in context with Seven Soldiers it is ok. IMO it wouldn't carry a regular series though.
ddf
GLGypsy
See, thats where I disagree. I think that were it a regular title it would be better, but since its a Seven Soldiers mini it should have strong ties with whats going on in the rest of the books. It has some cool concepts I think, but as a Seven Soldiers book I think its lame.

Also, why must Mr.Miracle's costume always have to look so stupid and random? Why have boots that only go up one side? Or are those footy pajamas? How does that mask have a mouth on it?

At least they ditched the stupid looking cape.

Will fight The Amish for money.
Old December 19th, 2005   Brian Ewing is offline   #12
Brian Ewing
Master Geoffan

I love it, although it really sucks that Ferry only did one issue.

"What can I say? The world may be going to hell, but I'm having a great time." - Grant Morrison

Xbox Live: Sharkington
Old December 19th, 2005   bgztl is offline   #13
bgztl
Supreme Geoffan

I really don't care for this one.

Linking the New Gods to SSoV seems very contrived for one thing. For another, this "legacy" is particularly weak and unneeded. The "real" MM, Scott Free, worked fine.

Having said that I do like the idea of using Shilo Norman. If we're to have a Mister Miracle around, this makes more sense than many other things.

It matters not what you fight, but what you fight for.

Mouse Guard
Old January 16th, 2006   Impulse is offline   #14
Impulse
Don't call me Kid Flash!

I'm really enjoying this series for its own strengths, though I too wonder where the connections to the rest of Seven Soldiers are. I'm guessing it might have something to do with Darkseid/Side having completed the Anti-Life Equation, possibly with Gloriana's help. It might even connect in a greater, macro sense as to why Darkseid's not shown up in Infinite Crisis, nor the New Gods & Scott Free <to my knowledge, at least>.

Old January 16th, 2006   rogue72 is offline   #15
rogue72
Geoffan

I don't see this as having any less connection to the SS than Guardian or Bulleteer. I'm sure it will all become clear in the end. I like that Grant's using Shilo who, lets face it, was a totally forgotten character before this.

Old January 20th, 2006   Hunter is offline   #16
Hunter
Neo Geoffan

I have loved all the Seven Soldiers so far... but did anyone read issue 3.....

spoiler alert....

they cut his manhood off.....

not cool.... not cool at all.... Bring back Scott Free....