The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > The Comic Shop: Creators

The Comic Shop: Creators but wait, there's more!

Old January 19th, 2006   Dr Ray Palmer is offline   #17
Dr Ray Palmer
get your adverbs here

Oh. My. GOD.

This? This is why BoP is my favorite book month after month, why I think Gail is the best writer in the biz, and exactly why I read comics.

I don't even know where to begin to explain why I loved this issue so much. Other posters have already hit most of the high points, but I've just got to say that in my opinion this is one of the best things Gail has ever written. Everything about this ish is just perfect. Gail always manages to capture exactly what makes each of these characters so special. The dialogue here is so smart, so believable, so natural, and wildly entertaining without ever seeming flashy or forced. Every character has a unique voice and every issue I love each of them even more.

I think more than any other issue of BoP ever, this one had more moments that made me say "Yes!" out loud while I was reading, or laugh out loud, or just grin like a fool. The scenes with Oracle and her dad standing up to Batman are some of the best Babs stuff I've ever read. I don't know which line made me laugh harder: "How about if you don't tell us where to go and I don't tell you where to stick it?" or "We're sticking with her plan. Moreover, you are not to interfere. But thanks for stopping by." Both of those moments made me laugh and say "Yes!" out loud. (Embarrassingly, I may have even pumped my fist in the air, too). I love, love, love seeing Babs believe in Helena, admitting the mistakes she's made with her in the past, and making a point out of trusting her and believing in her, whether anybody else likes it or not.

The battle with Slade made me incredibly happy for so many reasons. THIS is what a Canary/Slade showdown would look like, and how it should be written. I love that Dinah acknowledges the Deathstroke debacle from Identity Crisis (which made me really mad at the time because it was SO not what Canary would do). Love her exchange with Slade over that -- I know Gail's style well enough that when Dinah says "But there's a difference this time," I knew the next line was going to be one of those knock-the-ball-out-of-the-park smashes that was going to thrill me, and she didn't disappoint. "This time I don't have a bunch of Justice Leaguers getting in my way." Which was even greater than anything I could've possibly imagined Dinah saying.

The Dinah/Slade battle must've been a tricky thing to write, because I'm sure Gail knew that pretty much anything she did, people were going to gripe. If Dinah had won, people would've been outraged -- "Black Canary could NOT defeat Deathstroke!" If Slade had whupped her butt again, the Black Canary fans who had been looking for some retribution ever since Identity Crisis would've been crushed. So this was absolutely perfect. He hurts her, she hurts him, nobody wins, but Canary comes off looking like the complete badass she is anyway. And she doesn't even have to resort to using her cry. Just perfect.

I loved seeing Zinda trying to come to the rescue, and while it would've been fun to see her laying the smackdown on Slade, what actually happens makes much more sense and is much more believable. She tries, she fails, but she manages to get off one of my favorite Zindaisms ever: "Move and I shoot, mister. Unlike these people, I've done it lots." And her reaction to Dinah spilling the beans about Creote is just classic.

Perhaps best of all is the awesomely awesome awesomeness that is the Dinah/Batman/Helena scene, which is one of my favorite scenes of all time. I love Dinah and Helena as a united front, I love that they're playing with him instead of cowering in fear or begging for his approval, which makes it all the sweeter when he actually gives it. And it's nice that Gail doesn't cheat by pretending that Helena doesn't want Bats' approval after all: of course she does, and Dinah knows it too, which makes the payoff even greater. And the kiss? THAT is one of the greatest things of all time. The only thing sweeter than the kiss is the reactions it gets from Brucie, Babs, and Helena.

When I read Canary stuff like this it makes me wish I had a time machine so I could go back to about 1984 and tell the 11 year-old me, "Okay, loving Black Canary right now is hard sometimes, but be patient and keep loving her, because in about 20 years a writer is going to come along who is going to make it all worth it."

Sorry this has gotten so long, but once I got started I couldn't stop, plus I've been too busy to say everything I wanted to say about the last few issues, so it all kind of came out at once. Every issue of this arc was better than the one that preceded it, and I can't wait to sit down and read them all at once now that it's complete. That's one of the great things about Gail's run on this book: the individual issues are all terrific on their own. Then when you re-read the completed arc, it's even better. And when you look at all the arcs together, they make up one giant ongoing story that plays on things that have happened before and turns back on itself and takes earlier themes and flips them on their heads, and suddenly things that have been going on all along fall into place and you think, "Why didn't I see what was happening here?"

So thank you, Gail. I know I gush all the time and you're probably tired of it, but I honestly can't even tell you how much I love this book. BoP makes me happier than all the other books I buy each month put together, and every time I think you can't get any better, you do. Sometimes when I read this book I feel like a little kid again because I haven't gotten this kind of visceral thrill out of a book since I was about 12 falling in love with the X-Men, but the cool thing is that now with BoP I can also look at these stories as an adult and think, "You know, not only do I love this, but this is also really, really smart and well-written." You rule.

Dr Ray Palmer :: I'm not microscopic, I'm just drawn that way
Old January 19th, 2006   Falloutboy is offline   #18
Falloutboy
Homesick at space camp

Excellent issue Gail and co! This was very exciting. Nothing greater than Canary kissing Bats. Deathstroke was also a key part that made it awesome.

Old January 20th, 2006   Trespasser is offline   #19
Trespasser
Aw crap!

Gail,

Everyone has pretty much said it all already, so I'm not going to rehash the greatness of this issue. All I'm going to say is thanks for giving me the kick *** Canary I've always known was there but no one else could ever seem to find. You rule.

Patrick

I've got the pistols so I'll keep the pesos. That seems fair.
Old January 20th, 2006   Rion1986 is offline   #20
Rion1986
persona non grata

Black Canary is a slut for kissing Batman. HANDS OFF Catwoman's man, biotch! I'd hate to be the canary that got swallowed by the cat. Hopefully Selina clips her wings.

Old January 20th, 2006   callla is offline   #21
callla
Neo Geoffan

Rion, please tell me you're kidding.

I agree that this was a great issue. Here's hoping we get this kind of quality all year, even if there's a big team shuffle.

Old January 20th, 2006   Trespasser is offline   #22
Trespasser
Aw crap!

Black Canary is a slut for kissing Batman.
HANDS OFF Catwoman's man, biotch!
ddf
Rion1986
Completely unnecessary.

I've got the pistols so I'll keep the pesos. That seems fair.
Old January 20th, 2006   Ravenwing263 is offline   #23
Ravenwing263
Advanced Geoffan

Black Canary is a slut for kissing Batman. HANDS OFF Catwoman's man, biotch! I'd hate to be the canary that got swallowed by the cat. Hopefully Selina clips her wings.
ddf
Rion1986
Swallowed? Cliped?

I love Selina, but when it comes to fighting skills, she's a mewing kitten to Dinah's swooping falcon.

Old January 20th, 2006   kjo1188 is offline   #24
kjo1188
Geoffan

Swallowed? Cliped?

I love Selina, but when it comes to fighting skills, she's a mewing kitten to Dinah's swooping falcon.
ddf
Ravenwing263
i agree cw wouldnt last long at all

Another year older...
Old January 20th, 2006   Sami is offline   #25
Sami
persona non grata

Catwoman is by far a better fighter than Canary.

Canary has Ollie. Don't go after Selina's man.

Old January 20th, 2006   Mr Prince is offline   #26
Mr Prince
Advanced Geoffan

Great, great stuff. Already better said by others, so I just have 4 things to reverberate...

#1 Between this issue and IC #4 this week, I could have (but didn't) tossed out all my other comics - they were just so completely satisfying and interesting in characterization and action.

#2 The amount of story, character growth and "change" for BC, Huntress, Oracle, Lady B and Batman in this issue was wonderful. A real shift in status quo. It's time that someone other than Nightwing challenged Batman–and Babs is the perfect person to do so. (I've always felt that the 4-5 people that should affect Batsy most are - Dick, Alfred, Kal-El and Barbara (and to a certain degree Selina). Not necessarily in that order.)

#3 Gail needs to be on another team book - NOW! She has a great ability to give individual voice to characters and yet play out the harmony needed in portraying many leads, adversaries and team dynamics. I vote for her on a Secret 6 or Society ongoing, and she's got to do a run on the in-continuity JL title someday/time.

#4 Can we get Adrianna Melo pencilling a monthly title asap (as well as on the BoP covers)? They characters and dynacism of action she portrays on the covers is amazing/beautiful. I vote for a Vixen or Catman ongoing series - or a return to Rose & Thorn.

All the best...

Scott

Gargantua... Stop... *We're friends! - Lynda Carter
Old January 20th, 2006   Mr Prince is offline   #27
Mr Prince
Advanced Geoffan

Swallowed? Cliped?

ddf
Ravenwing263
The thing is that supposedly (and this is "in continuity", one of her annuals) Selina has the ability to see a move once and be able to repeat it/replicate it. So theoretically, unless it's be retconned, she can become a much better fighter.

I'm not for Selina becoming an uber-Shiva-like fighter, but with so many powerful martial artists in the DCU, it would be nice to see her have a fairly adept ranking. (BTW, I'm all for Black Canary being in the Top 5-6 "any-given-Sunday" rank of martial artists with Shiva, Batman, Batgirl, Richard Dragon and Connor Hawke. This is where she always should have been anyway.)

All the best...

Scott

Old January 20th, 2006   Atom-Smasher is offline   #28
Atom-Smasher
Master Geoffan

Also, doesn't Dinah have more professional training than Selina thanks to her contacts in the superhero community? Hell, she learned how to box from Wildcat...

Go to the Nexus--you'll be glad you did!

The Nexus: Your Hub for Online Fandom
Old January 20th, 2006   Yaffa_J is offline   #29
Yaffa_J
Mojo Jojo Wannabe

Default Wtf?

Catwoman is by far a better fighter than Canary.

Canary has Ollie. Don't go after Selina's man.
ddf
Sami

How do you figure?
Canary was trained by Richard Dragon, Wildcat, and Lady Shiva???

Two hits
Canary hits Selina;Selina hits floor
Next please!!!

"Of course that's my opinion, I could be wrong!" Dennis Miller

The power of BACON compels me!
Old January 20th, 2006   kjo1188 is offline   #30
kjo1188
Geoffan

The thing is that supposedly (and this is "in continuity", one of her annuals) Selina has the ability to see a move once and be able to repeat it/replicate it. So theoretically, unless it's be retconned, she can become a much better fighter.

I'm not for Selina becoming an uber-Shiva-like fighter, but with so many powerful martial artists in the DCU, it would be nice to see her have a fairly adept ranking. (BTW, I'm all for Black Canary being in the Top 5-6 "any-given-Sunday" rank of martial artists with Shiva, Batman, Batgirl, Richard Dragon and Connor Hawke. This is where she always should have been anyway.)

All the best...

Scott
ddf
Mr Prince
i believe that nightwing should be included in the top martial artists over connor. but thats just my opinion

Another year older...
Old January 20th, 2006   DCfan21 is offline   #31
DCfan21

Great issue Gail the fight with Deathsroke was great.

Old January 20th, 2006   Mr Prince is offline   #32
Mr Prince
Advanced Geoffan

i believe that nightwing should be included in the top martial artists over connor. but thats just my opinion
ddf
kjo1188
I think Nightwing is an all-round supreme fighter, but I'm basing my ideas on that Silver Monkey crossover from a few years back that had Conner near the top in terms of skill. I'm not sure if that has changed as I haven't been following GA.

Dick should be up there in terms of sheer skill though.

All the best...

Scott