The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old November 20th, 2007   DannyDC is offline   #1
DannyDC
Geoffan

Default Questions about trades

I currently do not buy trades, just actual floppies as I have heard them called, which is usaually about 40 issues a month with all of DC's mini series. I was thinking about collecting trades from here on out on certain titles to help save money and also save and make room.

My first question is do all regular monthly comics now do trades for all of their issues or at least 90% of them? I noticed the previous Green Arrow series is all out in trade and was going to sell of my collection and replace it with trades. The ongoings that I want to start buying trades for would be Checkmate and Green Arrow/Black Canary. Also I noticed that most mini and limited series tend to get released in trades, is this usually the case or is it based on how well the series does?

My final question is, how long after a story is complete do the trades usually get released? My biggest problem right now is I need to get the story as it comes out. So I don't want to wait for a few months after a story to get it.

Sorry if these seem like silly questions. I have been collecting comics for years but never paid any attention to trades. Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Old November 20th, 2007   Feltonbass is offline   #2
Feltonbass
Yep....

Trades NORMALLY come out about 2-4 months after a storyline is over.

Example: Captian America #25 ( March ) - 30 ( September-ish). Collected edition comes out in late Nov / Early Dec.

There are exceptions, but this is pretty much the standard.

I really can't think of anything not being collected in trade format right now. You may miss the occasional stand alone issue, but there's a good bet it will be collected eventually.

Trades are great too if you plan on going back and re-reading he stories. IMO, it's better to pick up a single 200 page book than 6 single issues. Not to mention they're more durable.

And in the long run, they're usually cheaper. 6-issue trade = $15 MSRP, maybe $8 thru Amazon or DCBS. 6 issues at $3 a pop = $18 MSRP, maybe you pre-order and use a place, again, like DCBS and save 30%, so you're looking at roughly $12 - $13 for an arc.

Me, I've cut WAY back on floppies.

Monthly I read:

Superman
Action
Supergirl
Batman
Tec
Nightwing
Flash
GL
GLC
JLA
JSA
Teen Titans
Fables
Jack of Fables
GI Joe
Star Wars Legacy

Events, I usually try and will buy monthly if I like it. 52 kept me every single week. Countdown is an issue by issue struggle. Sin Corp one-shots I've gotten. Final Crisis I plan on getting.

Coutdown tie-ins. NO WAY. Maybe trades.

Occasionally I'll grab a floppy at the LCS to test out like Madame Mirage or hack/Slash to see if the trade will intrest me.

For Marvel, I've gone COMPLETELY trades, and am happier for it. I get only Cap, New Avengers, Astonishing X-Men, and "events" once they're collected if they intrest me.

One man's pathetic quest to make it SDCC 2010

www.jedisnakeeyes.blogspot.com
Old November 20th, 2007   sylpemberton is offline   #3
sylpemberton
A Ginger Horseman

Location: Wish I could say New York but no I'm stuck twelve hours North East by car...

DC still lags behind on the trades I find and they usually come out much later than the Marvel ones do. The bigger series, like JSA / JLA get a nice hardcover quite quick, but the smaller series like Blue Beetle, Manhunter etc are usually running about a year behind on trades.

Old November 20th, 2007   ElectricPeterTork is offline   #4
ElectricPeterTork
A Filmways Presentation.

Don't trust DC on trades.

For example, you were talking about selling off your Green Arrow run and buying the trades. Well, if you did that, you would be missing issues 22-25, 51, and 53, because unlike Marvel, DC doesn't reprint every issue, just the main ones. If they consider it a "fill-in" issue, it isn't getting put in trade.

Just ask a Starman fan how bad DC's trades are. Or a Hitman fan, seeing as how the Hitman trades were never completed, and over half the run is uncollected.

Plus, DC is slow. As was said up above, they're usually 6 months to a year behind. Or, in the case of Geoff Johns' Flash, it took over 7 years to get his first arc on the book in trade. Of course, I don't really feel like I'm missing much on the DC Front these days, but it is a bit annoying.

DC just doesn't have a handle on their trade program.

Now Marvel...

They slap everything between two covers and make money off of it. And they usually do it within a month or two of the end of an arc.

For example, a trade collecting Black Panther #26-30 came out the same week as issue #31. A New Spider-Girl trade collecting issues 7-12 was released the same week as issue #14.

And Image.... they're doing the same thing as well.

So, if you want to know what's up with Image and Marvel, you can safely go to the trades. As for DC... Might as well stick with the floppies, because you'll be waiting forever for that trade.

"If bearded men cannot band together in defiance of the clean-shaven foe, then what hope is there?"
Old November 20th, 2007   HushedRuin is offline   #5
HushedRuin
of Positive Island.

Don't trust DC on trades.

For example, you were talking about selling off your Green Arrow run and buying the trades. Well, if you did that, you would be missing issues 22-25, 51, and 53, because unlike Marvel, DC doesn't reprint every issue, just the main ones. If they consider it a "fill-in" issue, it isn't getting put in trade.

Just ask a Starman fan how bad DC's trades are. Or a Hitman fan, seeing as how the Hitman trades were never completed, and over half the run is uncollected.

Plus, DC is slow. As was said up above, they're usually 6 months to a year behind. Or, in the case of Geoff Johns' Flash, it took over 7 years to get his first arc on the book in trade. Of course, I don't really feel like I'm missing much on the DC Front these days, but it is a bit annoying.

DC just doesn't have a handle on their trade program.

Now Marvel...

They slap everything between two covers and make money off of it. And they usually do it within a month or two of the end of an arc.

For example, a trade collecting Black Panther #26-30 came out the same week as issue #31. A New Spider-Girl trade collecting issues 7-12 was released the same week as issue #14.

And Image.... they're doing the same thing as well.

So, if you want to know what's up with Image and Marvel, you can safely go to the trades. As for DC... Might as well stick with the floppies, because you'll be waiting forever for that trade.
ddf
ElectricPeterTork View Post
After reading this, you might wanna sell the issues collected on eBay and buy the trades. Sell some issues, buy the trades.

half of The Infosiders with Arcademan...

oWt 4 LIFE.
Old November 20th, 2007   LastSun is offline   #6
LastSun
Master Geoffan

DC seems to be okay with certain titles getting trades out in about 5-6 months after the story. It looks like Blue Beetle, Checkmate, Shadowpact, Nightwing, Robin all come out on a regular basis.

Vertigo seems to be the line that DC is most on top of for getting trades out for.

It looks great! The fat one balances the two skinny ones.

Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?
Old November 20th, 2007   DannyDC is offline   #7
DannyDC
Geoffan

Maybe I will just stick with the floppies for now. I was kind of hoping DC trades were more along the lines of what Marvel seems to be doing. Thanks for the help everyone.

Old November 20th, 2007   Matt Olsen is offline   #8
Matt Olsen
Dark Lord of Daffodils

It's almost easier to look at actual examples than to make generalizations based on how series from the 90s were collected. Let's look at the DC's TPBs that came out the first three weeks of November:

GREEN ARROW: ROAD TO JERICHO - 5 months
GREEN LANTERN CORPS: A DARKER SHADE OF GREEN - 5 months
ROBIN: TEENAGE WASTELAND - 6 months
WORLD WAR III - 7 months
JLA: ULTRAMARINE CORPS - 26 months (!)
JONAH HEX: ORIGINS - 7 months
WONDER WOMAN: LOVE AND MURDER - 5 months
52 VOL. 4 - 6 months
BATMAN: DEATH AND THE CITY - 4 months
SUPERGIRL: IDENTITY - 4 months

"He's a semi-aquatic, egg-laying mammal of action..."
Old November 20th, 2007   DaVeO is offline   #9
DaVeO
Talk to the Hand of Doom

Well, I just did a massive cut on monthlies. I'm finishing off some mini-series (Four Horseman, Uncle Sam, Suicide Squad, HOM:Avengers) and the only regulars I'll be getting are Checkmate and Manhunter (whenever it returns).
Everything else (Teen Titans, GA/BC, BATO, JLA, JSA, Catwoman, Wonder Woman, Question and a bunch of indies and Marvels) are trade bound. No room in the apartment.

Where ever you go, there you are.
Old November 20th, 2007   Director of Everything is offline   #10
Director of Everything
YOU'RE ruining comics

DC STILL hasn't put Green Lantern out in softcover collections. WTF is that about?

Believe it or not, I LOVE COMICS!!! and it's only hard to tell because I know that they can be and SHOULD BE better.
Old November 20th, 2007   Matt Olsen is offline   #11
Matt Olsen
Dark Lord of Daffodils

DC STILL hasn't put Green Lantern out in softcover collections. WTF is that about?
ddf
Director of Everything View Post
Money.

"He's a semi-aquatic, egg-laying mammal of action..."
Old November 20th, 2007   teisto is offline   #12
teisto

ddf
Director of Everything View Post
GREEN LANTERN VOL 1: NO FEAR SC will be out in May.

Old November 20th, 2007   Director of Everything is offline   #13
Director of Everything
YOU'RE ruining comics

Thanks for the info.

About time. Oh wait... That's still 7 months away. And three years into the book....

Believe it or not, I LOVE COMICS!!! and it's only hard to tell because I know that they can be and SHOULD BE better.