The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Marvel Comics

Marvel Comics The House of Ideas. 'Nuff Said!

Old May 22nd, 2015   Amentep is offline   #17
Amentep

1st issue felt more like the last issue of one of the Avengers titles. 2nd issue gave a nice look at the new world.

I enjoyed both, but I think #2 works better in terms of really pushing the Secret Wars story forward.

Old May 22nd, 2015   superfriend is offline   #18
superfriend
laughs at comics

as far as the extra stuff though...? not really feeling any of it so far. anyone else?

i picked up my usuals (one of which happened to be a Last Days issue) but none of the extra Secret Wars stuff this week spoke to me.

i scanned A-Force but it didn't scream buy me. nothing wrong with, i just took a pass.

observe everything, admire nothing
Old May 22nd, 2015   Amentep is offline   #19
Amentep

I haven't read any of the new titles yet, so I can't comment. Did pick up A-Force, so I'm sure I'll comment when I read it.

Old May 26th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #20
Amentep

I liked the A-Force comic. It is of course well invested in the Secret Wars stuff, but I liked the character interactions, the set-up and the mystery that's going on.

Master of Kung-Fu was interesting as well but I'm not 100% sold on it yet. I think next issue might be the make/break issue.

Spider-Verse was great, liked the idea of all the Spider-Characters having an amnesia that was slowly breaking down and what was Osborn doing with Spider-Ham?

Old May 28th, 2015   TJLamb0518 is offline   #21
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

I liked the A-Force comic. It is of course well invested in the Secret Wars stuff, but I liked the character interactions, the set-up and the mystery that's going on.

Master of Kung-Fu was interesting as well but I'm not 100% sold on it yet. I think next issue might be the make/break issue.

Spider-Verse was great, liked the idea of all the Spider-Characters having an amnesia that was slowly breaking down and what was Osborn doing with Spider-Ham?
ddf
Amentep View Post
Waiting for Spider-Swiss and Spider-Rye?

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old May 28th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #22
Amentep

I admit, I laughed.

Old June 8th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #23
Amentep

So third issue of Secret Wars and we get the other life raft open. There's no way either of these two groups aren't going to conflict with God-Doom.

Tie-In Issues:

Inhumans Attilan Rising - I thought that this was an odd setup; I halfway expected a reveal that Medusa was actually behind the strike groups trips to Hulk-Wasteland. I liked the G-Man version of Ghost Rider, too bad that he got caught by the Thors.

X-Tinction Agenda - I only have the vaguest memories of this time of X-Continuity, but the X-Men character come off as serious jerks. Sure the virus necessitates containment, but surely there would be some scientists willing to go an help Genosha out rather than sit on the sidelines? I don't things are going to end well here.

Inferno - Colossus every year takes a group of X-Men to try and free Illyanna from demon-Manhattan. It never works. I'm surprised it too this long for Cyclops to decide enough was enough. I have a feeling there's going to be revealed a lot more going on in Manhattan then they think.

Infinity Gauntlet - I liked the art, but the story was a little hard to follow. Also is this an alternate Thanos or the Thanos from the raft at the end. I can imagine Doom wanting a Thanos in Battleworld so I have to think this was life-raft Thanos. If so this could be an important series for the over-arching Secret Wars story.

Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows - Spidey decides to protect his family rather than strike with the Avengers, the results leave Peter Parker to ditch the Spider-Man identity and for the Avengers to be wiped out. In some ways this feels the opposite of Spider-Verse (where Spider-Man is missing). Not sure how long Parker can ignore the Uncle Ben advice, though.

Where Monsters Dwell - the main character is such a jerk that I wanted him to be killed by a dinosaur. This didn't happen, so I'm disappointed. Nice art though, but I have no interest in following a book in which one half of the leads is repellant.

Future Imperfect - Really the Ruby should have realized something was up. But who isn't up for a throw down between Maestro and the Thing (well maybe no the Thing, given that it didn't go so well in the previous Future Imperfect).

Master of Kung-Fu 2 - Shang Chi reluctantly embraces training the remaining group of outcasts after an attack results in some deaths. It'll be interesting to see how this develops.

MODOK Assassin - MODOK kills some people while working on a secret plan. Then Angela falls from the sky and MODOK falls for her. Awkward.

Old June 9th, 2015   NoahFleisch is offline   #24
NoahFleisch
Decompressing

The series I want post secret wars
1. Amazing Spider-Man (Peter Parker)
2. Scarlet Spider (Kaine)
3. Agent Venom
4. Miles Morales: Spider-Man
5. Spider-Man 2099
6. Black Panther
7. Black Widow
8. Ant-Man (Scott Lang)
9. Moon Knight
10. Daredevil

Old June 10th, 2015   Scott Mateo is offline   #25
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows - Spidey decides to protect his family rather than strike with the Avengers, the results leave Peter Parker to ditch the Spider-Man identity and for the Avengers to be wiped out. In some ways this feels the opposite of Spider-Verse (where Spider-Man is missing). Not sure how long Parker can ignore the Uncle Ben advice, though.
ddf
Amentep View Post
And the classic New Warriors line-up is there too

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old June 10th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #26
Amentep

Well maybe was there for all we know now...

Old June 13th, 2015   leonmallett is offline   #27
leonmallett
comics fan

Issue one just felt like COIE with Ultimate Comics sensibilities, then #2 and #3 just fell flat for me. Oh well, my swan song to Marvel reading is here.

The new 52 - probably not for me...
Old June 30th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #28
Amentep

THORS - a murder mystery could be interesting

MARVEL ZOMBIES - some nice set-up; Elsa stuck going into the unknown with a kid who is an unknown himself...probably not going to end well.

Marvel Zombies vs Age of Ultron - doesn't look good for the heroes caught in the middle.

1602: Witch Hunter Angela - other than some funny gags on Marvel U character, I did really get this book

Squadron Sinister - some interest in seeing if the rebellion succeeds, but kind of a hard balancing act to care about in many ways. Nice references to New Universe and Shadowline but not sure its enough to propel me to continue reading.

Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps
I want to like Deconnick on Cap but...I don't. I like the characters and their interaction but I don't feel involved in the narrative.

Mrs. Deadpool and the Howling Commandos - Some funny gags; not terribly important reading, but I laughed and would probably buy the second issue.

E is for Extinction - Torn on this, some nice ideas, but its a bit hard to take all at once (might have been easier if I'd ever bothered to read Morrison's X-Men).

Weirdworld - I like the idea and the art is different at least. I'm not terribly sold on the main character's plight, though, so am ambivalent about a 2nd issue.

Korvac Saga - political intrigue between Korvac's realm (with Guardians as the protectors) and the nearby real led by Wonder Man (with Avengers as protectors). I liked the intrigue and the idea of people wondering where the stars are as a virus (clearly its a sign that the seems in Doom's reality are showing).

Runaways - I liked the mix of characters and the way its set up. Curious to see how the thrown together characters will make out.

Secret Wars 2099 - sort of a mixed bag across the first two issues. Some of it is good, but other parts...maybe if I knew the characters better? But usually Peter David's work is much easier to jump into even if you don't know who is who.

Inferno 2 - I think Colossus is in over his head, really. But I like the conflict that's brewing.

Spider-verse 2 - No Spider-Rhye and Spider-Swiss. But we do get pulp Spiderman and a trap by the Sinister Six.

Old June 30th, 2015   superfriend is offline   #29
superfriend
laughs at comics

so far i've tried Old Man Logan, E is for Extinction, Marvel Zombies vs. Age of Ultron, Thors, Weirdworld, Renew Your Vows, Squadron Sinister, and Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps.

just sticking with Thors, Weirdworld, and maybe Squadron Sinister.

observe everything, admire nothing
Old July 1st, 2015   Amentep is offline   #30
Amentep

How is Old Man Logan? I like the look of the covers, but I've got no real "in" to the title.

Old July 1st, 2015   Amentep is offline   #31
Amentep

MODOK Assassin #2 - MODOK doesn't want to kill Angela and hates it; meanwhile other assassins want to kill MODOK

PLANET HULK #2 - this issue didn't really rock my socks; the setup in 1 was really fast paced. This issue slows down and tries to give a lot of setting feel, but it seems an odd slowdown given the pace of the previous issue.

Old July 1st, 2015   RoseWilson is offline   #32
RoseWilson
Advanced Geoffan

Question that I'm sure no one has an answer to or likely that anyone but me cares about but any word on White Tiger appearing anywhere in the new Marvel?