The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Marvel Comics

Marvel Comics The House of Ideas. 'Nuff Said!

Old 1 Week Ago   Astro@work is offline   #113
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

Secret Empire #8,9,10: Got behind and so read the last three at once.

Overall...okay event story. The whole thing would have benefitted from a little less filler in the middle. The last 3 issues moved along nicely.

What I liked: Cap himself being the one to bring down bad cap (Stevil?) was a nice touch. For me, Cap has always been the moral center of the Marvel U. Having him turn bad was really frustrating to see over the last year and a half. I'm glad that in the end we get a restored Cap, not a Cap with bad blood on his record. Restoring Cap represented restoring hope and heroism to the Marvel U, and that's a good thing.

What I didn't like: I really hate that Natasha is dead. There aren't enough strong iconic women Avengers to keep killing off the very few.
I also think there was a focus on too many characters throughout the series. Who was I rooting for? Who was the pov character for the audience? This seemed to change with every issue. Not buying most of the crossovers, the main story suffered from lack of character focus beyond Cap. (If Natasha and Sam had been more central in the early issues, their prominence in the later issues would have carried more weight; the X-characters could have been left out completely and the cosmic characters pulled too much focus and story time).

What I don't understand: If Kobik undid the historic events that made all the other characters turn-to-evil, why are ANY of the events of the series still in existence? Why is Stevil still here? Why are Rick and Natasha still dead? Why does the public still remember any of the events? Good Steve should be the only one who remembers any of those events, at best.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old 1 Week Ago   Astro@work is offline   #114
[email protected]

Secret Empire Omega #1: As a coda to the whole event...didn't like it. I wanted hope and heroism restored in the Marvel U at the end. All this did is reinforce the idea that Marvel is a grimdark land of old event ideas. Also still confused as to what did/didn't happen? If Stevil really did perpetuate all the Hydra things over the years...was there ever a good Steve in play? Did anybody ever know good Steve, or just Stevil? If they did know good Steve, at what point did Stevil show up and begin his covert actions?

Long story short, the Marvel U is just rife with awkward leftover alternate continuity ideas. TPTB need to stop gloating about how the MU has never had a reset, and start looking at how they can get one on the calendar. (Call the Richards family...they're still out there fixing the multiverse aren't they?)

Old 5 Days Ago   Matches is offline   #115
Matches
stepping aside

Secret Empire Omega #1: As a coda to the whole event...didn't like it. I wanted hope and heroism restored in the Marvel U at the end. All this did is reinforce the idea that Marvel is a grimdark land of old event ideas. Also still confused as to what did/didn't happen? If Stevil really did perpetuate all the Hydra things over the years...was there ever a good Steve in play? Did anybody ever know good Steve, or just Stevil? If they did know good Steve, at what point did Stevil show up and begin his covert actions?
ddf
Kobik only undid the stuff Evil Cap did at the very end, when he totally re-wrote reality with the unified cube. Everything that happened before that - destruction of Las Vegas, Hydra takeover, etc. - still happened, and everyone remembers it. The backstory with Evil Cap was that, in his memories, he was always a Hydra agent but did not know it until Kobik "woke him up" - so he wasn't actively working for Hydra all that time - only recently. Essentially Cap's history is intact and he was replaced by a doppleganger who still exists and has overlapping memories (and is so totally going to be the new Red Skull eventually).

Other Marvel stuff recently:

Defenders #5 continues that book being really solid. I do think the awkward attempts to mimic the TV show are.. well.. awkward. Love the art, though, and Bendis being back on street-level books is welcome and overdue.

In a similar vein, Jessica Jones #12 wrapped up the Maria Hill arc in satisfying fashion. I'm never disappointed with an issue of this book.

Daredevil has had some *really* bad art lately - #26 was better but now it's The Hand who I just cannot stand. They are SO dull.

Amazing Spider-Man #32 was a Norman Osborn-centric issue with really nice guest art from Greg Smallwood. Script was eh, though - it was fine but Norman hasn't been all that interesting since Dark Reign.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old 6 Hours Ago   Astro@work is offline   #116
[email protected]

X-Men Blue #9: Secret Empire Tie In. Liked the addition of Lorna. This is a good fit, since she's got solid history with the original five. The bad: Secret Empire tie-in. Now that it's over and we know the recent hydra history is intact, how do they redeem characters like Havok and Firestar? Their history is now soiled PERMANENTLY, and they're fairly irredeemable. Did Marvel sit around beforehand and discuss "which characters can we ruin for good?". I'd have been okay with it if there was a reset, but there WASN'T. And yes, Havok used to be one of my faves. Now he's just an a-hole. And Firestar is misguided and stupid. Grrr.

X-Men Blue #10,11: Liking the Goblin Queen arc. This is a good nemesis for the Blue Team, and Hank's accidental turn to the bad is a good twist.

Inhumans: Once And Future Kings #1,2 : Really liking this mini. We've never gotten a pre-Kirby backstory IIRC, and it's great to see the Royal Family before they got the "Let's age all the iconic characters and make them relics" Marvel mandate. The young fiery Medusa, still-walking Gorgon and pre-madness Maximus are great fun to read. A little unclear on how young Black Bolt is able to speak here, but hopefully it will be explained. I'm all in on this one.