The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old April 17th, 2013   Sentinel119 is offline   #81
Sentinel119
Supreme Geoffan

They should simply do what they went into business to do. Produce a quality selection of comics that consumers can pick and choose from.

That's it.

More substance and less hype.
ddf
Mark MacMillan View Post
Amen!

"Bible, Wrath of Kahn. What's the difference?"
Cyclops was Right
Old April 17th, 2013   Penny Dreadful is offline   #82
Penny Dreadful
At times dark, never grim

What if DC scheduled a massive reboot of everything....

... got an all-star roster of established veterans, current stars, and rising talent...

... with a concrete, established timeline of events in every hero's life...

... and aimed at fans of all corners - kids/adults/teens, veteran fans/new fans, women/men...?

Rather, USE THE MULTIVERSE AND STOP WAITING FOR SOMETHING THAT'S NOT HAPPENING.
ddf
HushedRuin View Post
My sentiments exactly! DC had separate Earths for Golden and Silver Age heroes for several years, and those titles did fine, thank you very much. What was the point of bringing back the Multiverse in Infinite Crisis if they aren't planning to use it? When is this Multiversity project that Morrison keeps talking about coming out, anyway?

On a long, extended break from massive comic-book events.
Old April 17th, 2013   Penny Dreadful is offline   #83
Penny Dreadful
At times dark, never grim

Comics are selling more this year than the previous year. I doubt DC will make any major changes to what they're doing. And I wouldn't blame them.
ddf
starks View Post
Marvel has been outselling DC for months, and in March, DC fell way behind Marvel.

On a long, extended break from massive comic-book events.
Old April 17th, 2013   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #84
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

Marvel has been outselling DC for months, and in March, DC fell way behind Marvel.
ddf
Penny Dreadful View Post
Not only that, but if you look at the befor relaunch/after relaunch, dc had a little over double the books it does in the top 10 and 20. I would say that while they might have higher numbers for those top ten or twenty placing books, overall the relaunch hurt them bad.

Check out Pulpline Magazine for original prose content! Submissions welcome!
Old April 17th, 2013   TJLamb0518 is offline   #85
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Not only that, but if you look at the befor relaunch/after relaunch, dc had a little over double the books it does in the top 10 and 20. I would say that while they might have higher numbers for those top ten or twenty placing books, overall the relaunch hurt them bad.
ddf
Peter Aitken View Post
I get what you're saying, but isn't (in theory) putting out less product and focussing on making those products successful a good strategy?

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old April 17th, 2013   chrisbenes is offline   #86
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

I get what you're saying, but isn't (in theory) putting out less product and focussing on making those products successful a good strategy?
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
sounds logical to me!!!

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old April 17th, 2013   jafabian is offline   #87
jafabian

The Yankees do that, get a few big name quality players and surround them with cheap ones, but they overpaid for A-Rod.

Old April 17th, 2013   TJLamb0518 is offline   #88
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

The Yankees do that, get a few big name quality players and surround them with cheap ones, but they overpaid for A-Rod.

ddf
jafabian View Post
Like DC did with D-Rod?

Old April 17th, 2013   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #89
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
In theory, yes. However, when it comes to Marvel and DC, they don't want to be outdone by the other. Consider that while DC's top 3 books sell near 200k, Marvel then has 5 or more books doing just as well. DC has to wonder, then, why they can't get that many books to sell that well.

Check out Pulpline Magazine for original prose content! Submissions welcome!
Old April 17th, 2013   Dr_Decipher is offline   #90
Dr_Decipher

The problem is that DC rose to prominence by addressing the key issues that Americans had with society. Superman took on gangsters and the Ku Klux Klan, and so on, and nowadays all DC wants to do is glamorama stuff where the gorgeous with muscles show off their spandex-clad bodies while they battle other gorgeous people with muscles.

DC has no regard for philosophical passion. They need to be fighting banksters, propagandists, techno-fascists and GMO villains, and things like that. Instead, all they care about doing is pumping out shallow pretenses for the latest costume fashion show and hot body contest. And, what's worse, I doubt they even could ever get back to true heroism if they even wanted to, because now they're a corporate frat-boy megalith, whereas they weren't in the old days.

I give DC Comics at MOST four more years before it ceases to exist as a separate publishing company. Either Disney will buy it (as it's already bought Marvel, Pixar, Lucasfilm, Jim Henson Productions, etc.), or it will just fold, period. And, to be honest, if that second thing happens, I'll actually be glad to see the weary old mule finally put to rest.
Last edited by Dr_Decipher; April 17th, 2013 at 02:09 PM.

Why are the shallowest simpletons always the ones in control?
Old April 17th, 2013   Alan is offline   #91
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

ddf
Peter Aitken View Post
I wouldn't hold up the March figures as proof that the reboot has failed.

The figures fluctuate month by month depending on what comes out - March was unusual in that there were THREE issues of Marvels big event book and three new No 1's.

The actual sales figures when we get them aren't bad, but just as DC saw their figures substantially improve after the reboot, so Marvel Now has done the same. Marvel are also publishing many books twice a month. But the likes of Earth 2 are holding up well. And across the line they are apparently still well up on the pre relaunch period. And Trade sales and digital are steadily increasing, which should not be ignored as they add significant income.

The bottom end is undeniably sagging though, with about 20 titles around or below the 20,000 mark, and DC's choices as to which books to cut are difficult as there are many struggling, and the replacement titles do not look very strong. acing said that the new Snyder-Lee Superman is pretty much guaranteed to sell in numbers that a Superman title hasn't seen for a while (or at least equal to Morrison's early Action run), as will the Superman-Batman title, which are no brainers,even thought further milks the cash cow of the main two characters.

Have those other new titles got a chance in hell of lasting long? No, but kudos to DC for trying something a bit different with them. But if one or two of those can survive in the same way Talon is doing that would be good.

Old April 17th, 2013   starks is offline   #92
starks
Geoffan

with digital undermining brick & mortar shops
ddf
superfriend View Post
Actually, the complete opposite is happening.

Old April 17th, 2013   starks is offline   #93
starks
Geoffan

Part of that is just that the market is growing.
ddf
Peter Aitken View Post
Not according to some folks here. It's always the sky is falling for them, while the numbers prove otherwise.

Old April 17th, 2013   starks is offline   #94
starks
Geoffan

ddf
Penny Dreadful View Post
No doubt, but this was a discussion regarding DC.

Old April 17th, 2013   starks is offline   #95
starks
Geoffan

ddf
Peter Aitken View Post

And you would be wrong.

Old April 17th, 2013   TJLamb0518 is offline   #96
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

DC has no regard for philosophical passion. They need to be fighting banksters, propagandists, techno-fascists and GMO villains, and things like that.
ddf
Dr_Decipher View Post

Sorry, what you're describing there would be the most boring (real world, yes) line of comics EVER.

Instead, all they care about doing is pumping out shallow pretenses for the latest costume fashion show and hot body contest.
ddf
Dr_Decipher View Post
Because Power Girl's boob window generates 1,000 times more talk than Barbara Gordon in her Oracle days shtting down a cyber-terrorist. Comics are a visual medium.

And, what's worse, I doubt they even could ever get back to true heroism if they even wanted to, because now they're a corporate frat-boy megalith, whereas they weren't in the old days.
ddf
Dr_Decipher View Post
Yeah, maaaaaan, they're tools of the man, maaaaaan. Occupy DC!

Without that corporate backing, DC could very well be a memory. But, of course, who cares about that?

I give DC Comics at MOST four more years before it ceases to exist as a separate publishing company.
ddf
Dr_Decipher View Post

As much as I personally would love it, not gonna happen. Why? The evil corporation keeps their lights on.

Either Disney will buy it (as it's already bought Marvel, Pixar, Lucasfilm, Jim Henson Productions, etc.),
ddf
Dr_Decipher View Post
DOWN WITH THE MOUSE! EVIL RODENT!