The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old January 14th, 2009   Human Bong is offline   #17
Human Bong
Pay Attention 2 Me

The simple fact Morrison is sticking with Batman after FC has me okay with everything coming up. I've enjoyed his Bat work so far, so while normally I'd be really really hesitant over everything, I'm actually kind of excited.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Old January 14th, 2009   Jeff Shabazz is offline   #18
Jeff Shabazz
persona non grata

I like what happened, in regards to FC 6 - a satisfying conclusion to a character's story within the fictional universe he exists in, as I've read and enjoyed him since I was about 6 years old.

R.I.P., on the other hand, was nothing more than an event that led to another event (Battle for the Cowl) that lacked a convincing, entertaining, and compelling end to his story. A stunt. And I've officially, and off panel (hee hee), given up on those types of comics (whoo hoo hello indies!). Whether Grant returns to further the story after that or not, I just don't care. I'll check back in on one of my favorite characters when he's recognizable, to me, again.

I'll take my lead characters as characters, please, and not tools or stunts. Just my opinion.

Old January 14th, 2009   rpi is offline   #19
rpi
Geoffan

Once upon a time what Batman did would have bugged me a lot more than it did in this issue, which was not at all. There have been so many bad stories, bat editors, and bad decisions made with the comic character Batman since Dan Didio took over DC that I just don't have that much of an emotional investment in the character anymore. Is he still my favorite character? Oh yeah, but I just don't care as much about him. After him nearly beating the Joker to death, nearly shooting Alex Luthor, and all the other crap where he's been pushed too far, it's all lost its shock value. Maybe I'll be more invested in it again when I feel like the company actually cares about the characters rather than just milks them, but at this point, I'm not too worked up.

Every artist is a cannibal
Every poet is a thief
All kill their inspiration
And sing about the grief
Old January 14th, 2009   Double Down is offline   #20
Double Down
Neo Geoffan

I'm looking at this from a totally different perspective. Remember the tag line for this entire event? The day evil won. How can you have the heroes win but still have it seem like a loss overall?

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
Force the world's greatest hero into crossing the line. Werehunter's right. For Bruce, a gun is a symbol of pure evil.

"Yes, Maximilian! VIVE LA REVOLUTION!."
Old January 14th, 2009   prime3000 is offline   #21
prime3000
persona non grata

new Grant Morrison interview...http://www.wizarduniverse.com/011409batmandead.html

Old January 14th, 2009   Holiday is offline   #22
Holiday
White Pawn

new Grant Morrison interview...http://www.wizarduniverse.com/011409batmandead.html
ddf
prime3000 View Post
A very good interview. I like to see that Grant will be returning this summer to Batman. I can't wait to see where he takes Batman next.

"Has the world become too fast for you?

Nope, the world is finally catching up." -Barry Allen
Old January 15th, 2009   Mike Haseloff is offline   #23
Mike Haseloff
Neo Geoffan

Gun = Evil seems like a gross simplification of what Batman is, and stands against! Wow!

As already detailed; as a negative, it also completely ignores what that means for the character in this scenario.

Shocking? Yes. Baseless?...
I think the lead-in we've had as warning is more than enough of an indication that there's still plenty more substance to come.

Old January 15th, 2009   DarkNight1939 is offline   #24
DarkNight1939
give 'em hell, kid.

D:
comics are too expensive for a high school student
and now that batman is dead
i don't know if i'm going to continue much longer..

It's better to live one day as a lion than a thousand as a lamb.
Old January 15th, 2009   Eric Q is offline   #25
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

D:
comics are too expensive for a high school student
and now that batman is dead
i don't know if i'm going to continue much longer..
ddf
DarkNight1939 View Post
Look at it this way, if want to get this, you can trade wait which give you plenty of time to save up and get it. Or if you want to get new Bruce Wayne as Batman stories, you still have plenty of time to save up for those issues because it could be sometime before he returns.

And don't forget, there's about 71 years worth of old Batman issues available to check out and a good number of them are more affordable.
Last edited by Eric Q; January 15th, 2009 at 02:36 AM.

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old January 15th, 2009   oddballuk is offline   #26
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

I finally got to read this issue this morning, these last few hours have been one long wait!

Anyway...

I liked the Batman scene. I thought it was a pretty cool face-off.

- I liked the exception Batman made here with the gun, and with killing. His mission has been about stopping Evil but the personfication of Evil, the God of Evil, is not something/one you can just cart away to a prison. His very existence causes death! To kill Evil, for good (?) would be the one instance where I feel Bruce would make the exception.

- There is a nice, coming full circle, effect in the moment too. A gun created Batman and a gun brought about his end.

- Regarding Bruce seeing guns as Evil? I don't really agree. He hates guns but I think he's smart enough to know that it is the user that determines whether a gun is Evil or Good.

- Batman's final line being "Gotcha"? Brilliant!

- I also liked the similarity here between this death scene and the one from Morrison's "Rock of Ages" arc.

- I will say, that eventhough I thought this was a "good death", I thought it needed more than the two pages to confront Darkseid and the two page splash of Batman's final moments. If you hadn't read Batman #682 & 683 you'd be missing out on a chunk of story here, namely how Batman escaped capture. Also, Darkseid barely had time to establish himself as the big bad, once he'd claimed a body, before Batman killed him (if he has succeeded of course).

ddf
prime3000 View Post
Cool interview.

I am glad to hear, from Morrison this time rather than Didio, that Morrison will be back and has more to tell with Batman and with Bruce's story.

Given that Darkseid's Omega Sanction has already been shown to be different than the Omega Effect (in the Seven Soldiers: Mr Miracle mini), Bruce is alive somewhere else.

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old January 15th, 2009   greenlflash 2184 is offline   #27
greenlflash 2184
Master Geoffan

I'm happy that Grant Morrison is returning in the Summer.

Back off, man. I'm a scientist.
Old January 15th, 2009   Mike Haseloff is offline   #28
Mike Haseloff
Neo Geoffan

- Batman's final line being "Gotcha"? Brilliant!

Given that Darkseid's Omega Sanction has already been shown to be different than the Omega Effect (in the Seven Soldiers: Mr Miracle mini), Bruce is alive somewhere else.

ddf
oddballuk View Post
My first thought was that spoiler #1 might've been a knowing response to spoiler #2. Leading perhaps to one of those much rumored... "promotions."

Old January 15th, 2009   oddballuk is offline   #29
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

My first thought was that spoiler #1 might've been a knowing response to spoiler #2. Leading perhaps to one of those much rumored... "promotions."
ddf
Mike Haseloff View Post
Knowing the way Morrison writes Bruce, I wouldn't be surprised if you are right.

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old January 15th, 2009   Icon is offline   #30
Icon
Advanced Geoffan

Sigh... No, not the Omega Beams, anything but the Omega beams, since they are THE most reversible form of death this side of being in the X-Men

Old January 15th, 2009   MattDiCarlo is offline   #31
MattDiCarlo
Threat or Menace?

So the gun was basically Bruce saying FU to evil itself with a grin on his face. I'm glad for that interview. I still don't completely grasp it but I'm going to choose to read it as Bruce taking hold of fate itself, symbolized by the gun, which had been an instrument of chaos and darkness in the hands of Joe Chill and what he represented, and then turning it back against a sort of undying evil. Basically turning all the darkness that created him into a tool to fight evil. Which is what he's always done. This is just it concentrated into a couple of pages. Bruce mastering it even more than a god who represents it.

Because if you look at that scene too literally, you get a headache. It's not a creative choice I would have made.

Last edited by MattDiCarlo; January 15th, 2009 at 08:14 AM.

Old January 15th, 2009   Mike Haseloff is offline   #32
Mike Haseloff
Neo Geoffan

I think something being downplayed earlier in the thread is the fact that Batman was one of the first heroes taken down. So by the time he's back in the action, the battle is already all but lost. As good as he is, his strength in these types of situations has to be limited to whatever/whoever is available to him, and by this point, even boy blue was off having adventures through time and space. [RE: Superman Beyond/Legion of 3 Worlds]

In a world where the bad guys have completely taken over, it seems reasonable to think there weren't exactly a lot of options available. A gun already used to kill a New God? Not exactly a terrible choice when it comes to saving existence as we know it.

To the best of my knowledge Batman's never been an active campaigner against America's Wild West gun laws.
As much as he might have a personal distain for firearms and what they've done to his life, I'd like to think decades of Batman stories (full of crooks with pistols) show us he's smart enough to draw the distinction between weapons, and the people responsible for them.

There's a wry sense of poetic irony about the situation, sure. Something, I agree, Bruce Wayne would probably have a knowing sense of humor about. A grandiose betrayal of everything seventy years of Batman has stood for? No.

In the given situation Batman found a solution and implemented it. That solution might even include knowledge gained during his substantial absence from action. A plan to take advantage of a time when men are becoming gods, perhaps.

In the end, Batman did what he does best. Against all odds, he won.