The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old April 11th, 2011   rpi is offline   #1
rpi
Geoffan

Default Dear DC: Please get proper writers on the Batman titles

DC has had an "interesting" experiment going where they're allowing artists to write some of the Batman titles. The result is that Batwoman is persistently late even with Williams only drawing half the issues and him having help on the writing side. The result is that Tony Daniel his having fill in artists, when he should probably be having fill-in writers. The result is that David Finch is will no longer be the artist of The Dark Knight after issue 3. Tony Daniel has been getting better and better as an artist, but is still a very average writer. David Finch and JH Williams should just be focusing on their art, not writing, since they also seem to be very average writers. I'm sure there are lots of premier-level writers that would love a chance to write Batman titles, and I would love to see them. If DC wants to let these creators cut their teeth as writers, they should probably be doing it on something other than titles of one of the company's flagship characters. Honestly, the idea that Batwoman and the Dark Knight are going to solve their lateness by having both artists focus on the writing of the titles just sounds ridiculous. There are some titles where the quality of the product is worth the wait. I would say the art of Williams definitely falls in this category, and the art of Finch might. I can very safely say their writing is not worth all of this.

Every artist is a cannibal
Every poet is a thief
All kill their inspiration
And sing about the grief
Old April 11th, 2011   virtuadept is offline   #2
virtuadept
bye.

I like Tony Daniel's writing so far. Haven't read the Finch stuff or the JHW stuff so I will reserve judgement until I do.

I think it sucks that they are letting someone else draw for Daniel, however, that seems counterproductive to me.

- VirtuAdept - VACATION MODE. Apparently few here really like my posts. It was a fun few years. Catch you on the flip side.
Old April 11th, 2011   Jake1823 is offline   #3
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

Yeah, Daniel is just mediocre for me. But I don't mind that as much as the delays for Batman, Inc. I can ignore those titles and just get Inc. and 'Tec, which are the best titles.

However, while the initial Batwoman delay was on JHWII, the others were on editorial, who wanted to give the title a big push that wouldn't be overshadowed by the events going on.

Where is everybody?
Old April 12th, 2011   starks is offline   #4
starks
Geoffan

I don't think any of those three should be writing anything. That's why I'm not buying.

Old April 12th, 2011   virtuadept is offline   #5
virtuadept
bye.

I don't think any of those three should be writing anything. That's why I'm not buying.
ddf
starks View Post
Why do you think that?

- VirtuAdept - VACATION MODE. Apparently few here really like my posts. It was a fun few years. Catch you on the flip side.
Old April 12th, 2011   fallentaco is offline   #6
fallentaco
The Lone Gunman

Finch is a mediocre writer as is Daniels in my opinion, that is why I don't but those books.

Williams has a co-writer who is an actual writer, so he shouldn't be on the same list.

It was Stamford all over again only this time Nitro was the edge of Cap’s shield.-Joe Q
Old April 12th, 2011   virtuadept is offline   #7
virtuadept
bye.

What has Finch and Daniels written prior to Batman stuff?

Old April 12th, 2011   Astro is offline   #8
Astro
Geoffan

Why do you think that?
ddf
virtuadept View Post
Because comics shouldn't be written by artists, DUH!

They should be left to real writers, like Frank Miller, Walt Simonson, John Byrne, Bill Willingham, Rick Remender, Darwyn Cooke, Bruce Timm, and...

oh...

uh...

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Check out my blog! Random assortment of thoughts, reviews, creative outflows, etc!
Old April 12th, 2011   starks is offline   #9
starks
Geoffan

Why do you think that?
ddf
virtuadept View Post
Because they're below average writers. And that's probably being complimentary.

Old April 12th, 2011   starks is offline   #10
starks
Geoffan

They should be left to real writers, like Frank Miller, Walt Simonson, John Byrne, Bill Willingham, Rick Remender, Darwyn Cooke, Bruce Timm, and...

oh...

uh...
ddf
Astro View Post
You really don't want me going through that list.

Old April 12th, 2011   virtuadept is offline   #11
virtuadept
bye.

Because they're below average writers. And that's probably being complimentary.
ddf
starks View Post
Based on what?

The first thing I've ever read of Daniels is his Batman work and I got to say, I liked it a lot better than the pre-Final Crisis Morrison Batman. Have to disagree that he is a "below average writer". Maybe "average writer" might be more appropriate terminology.

Like I said earlier, I haven't read anything WRITTEN by Finch, I thought this was his first attempt, which if so, its a little early to be calling him a "below average writer" when his first arc isn't even done yet.

I also have to say that so far I've enjoyed Daniels Batman better than Batman, Inc. I really really liked Batman & Robin but I'm starting to think that was a fluke for Morrison.

Old April 12th, 2011   5andman is offline   #12
5andman
Master Geoffan

I can very safely say their writing is not worth all of this.
ddf
rpi View Post
Can you suggest some suitable writers?

Old April 12th, 2011   Jake1823 is offline   #13
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

I don't think anyone's saying anything against artists writing titles. It's just that, for me, Daniel hasn't been that good. Meanwhile, Finch has been having loads of trouble keeping deadlines. It doesn't help that I'm not a fan of Finch's art, either.

After reading his first issue of Xombi, I would love John Rozum to write Finch's title. That's how enamored I am by that title.

If Joe Casey wasn't so pissed off at DC, I would have loved a Batman title from him.

But really, it shouldn't be that hard to find a writer willing to take on Batman.

Where is everybody?
Old April 13th, 2011   rpi is offline   #14
rpi
Geoffan

oh...

uh...
ddf
Astro View Post
To be fair, Frank Miller is a writer who draws. He's more famous for his writing than his art. Walt Simonson...I can't say I've ever actually read anything of his, so I just enjoy his art. John Byrne's not that great of a writer. Bill Willingham is not that good an artist and (based on what I've seen of his writing on the Batman titles a few years back) is a rather atrocious writer. Never seen anything from Remender. Darwyn Cooke is an artist who happens to write. When was the last time you saw any of his writing independent of his art (which I love, by the way.) When has Bruce Timm ever written a story? I've seen him produce stories and draw them, but writing? In my experience with their work, pretty much everyone you listed definitely has a focus in one direction or the other, and the direction that isn't their focus is usually fairly average. It only gets bolstered by what they're good at. Darwyn Cooke is the only one out of that list that is superior in both fields, in my opinion. I don't want to sound rude, but Tony Daniel and David Finch just aren't in Darwyn Cooke's league.

Every poet is a thief
And sing about the grief
Old April 13th, 2011   rpi is offline   #15
rpi
Geoffan

Based on what?

The first thing I've ever read of Daniels is his Batman work and I got to say, I liked it a lot better than the pre-Final Crisis Morrison Batman. Have to disagree that he is a "below average writer". Maybe "average writer" might be more appropriate terminology.

Like I said earlier, I haven't read anything WRITTEN by Finch, I thought this was his first attempt, which if so, its a little early to be calling him a "below average writer" when his first arc isn't even done yet.

I also have to say that so far I've enjoyed Daniels Batman better than Batman, Inc. I really really liked Batman & Robin but I'm starting to think that was a fluke for Morrison.
ddf
virtuadept View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and if you prefer Daniels' writing, power to you. Go with what you enjoy. As a general rule, though, it seems that Morrison is one of the most celebrated writers in the industry today, and both sales and fan response seem to support that. I would choose the worst Morrison story ever over anything Daniels has written in his time. Battle for the Cowl was out-and-out bad. He's gotten much better since then, but it still doesn't feel like his stories have any soul or personality (and it still bugs me that a woman was calling herself the Peacock).
As for not being able to judge Finch off one story, of course you can judge a writer off a single issue. Some issues are going to be better than others, but if a writer can't hold a reader's attention through an issue, then he's not a very good writer. If all he's doing is using the individual issues as an excuse to release a trade, that's unfair to the reader. I should not have to keep tossing money down for new issues in the hope that by the final issue something actually pays off. Each individual issue needs to be able to stand on its own as well as being part of a larger whole.

Every poet is a thief
And sing about the grief
Old April 13th, 2011   rpi is offline   #16
rpi
Geoffan

Can you suggest some suitable writers?
ddf
5andman View Post
In an ideal world? I'd LOVE to have Greg Rucka and Ed Brubaker back in the Batman family. I wouldn't have said this a few years ago, but at this point I'd like to see Geoff Johns give a Batman title a shot. Mark Waid has never done a regular Batman run. Get Joe Kelly on a run, or Gail Simone if she's got the time. Hell, get Alan Grant back for more than just an issue. There's a host of writers I'd love to see on a regular Batman title. David Finch, who is only known as an artist, has quit the artistic duties on Dark Knight just to write it. When I'm sure there's plenty of established writers out there who'd love a chance at an ongoing Batman title and an unproven artist cum writer decides he's just going to become a writer and forget his art, which is the only thing he's known for, there's something wrong with that situation.

Every poet is a thief
And sing about the grief