The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Justice League

View Poll Results: Do you want Red Tornado to return to the active JLA roster?
YES! 154 78.17%
No 16 8.12%
I want to see him, just not in JLA 22 11.17%
Red Who? 5 2.54%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 6th, 2005   crawfordcrow is offline   #1
crawfordcrow
Toffee Hammer Horseman

Default Red Tornado Should Return to the JLA

It seems like the pros - if they notice what we're clamoring for at all - seem to be more interested in us expressing why we'd enjoy seeing certain characters in certain books, rather than just making a list and saying "THEM! IN! NOW!".

Going under that pretext, I'm going to go ahead and make the case for Red Tornado rejoining the JLA.

The basics:

There's a lot of psychological potential just in his backstory. Reddy is a bizarre hybrid of a heroic alien being and an android who was originally programmed to be a villain. He became a member of the JSA, then the highly respected Satellite League, subsequently spent some time kicking around as an air elemental, returned as a shakier version of his old self, then slowly regained his bearings and was charged with mentoring the Junior JLAers in Young Justice. Plus, there's the strange relationship he has with Kathy Sutton and little Traya - which can flavor a subplot here or there.

Specifics:

He's got a history with many of the current JLAers - relationships which can be reestablished now that he's no longer the low self-esteem sad sack, but a confident leader who's gone through a considerable range of experience since he was last in the JLA. Plus, there's a chance to explore his relationships with the newer, more prominent members with whom he's not so familiar.

Some might think that J'Onn has the market cornered on being the somewhat removed one with an alienated point of view, but since Reddy, who shares those feelings, has always been more aggressive in his emotional extremes, he would make a beautiful counterpoint to J'Onn.

Reddy fought tooth and nail to obtain a feeling of belonging and normal humanity - he started an intimate relationship and a parental one. On the other hand, during his elemental days, he essentially forsook that human existance he'd craved for so long.

J'Onn has spent his life absorbing the breadth of the human experience like a sponge, but has never allowed himself to be immersed in intimate relationships or off-duty familial ties. Two sides of a coin. Interesting stuff.

Motivations:

Reddy's motivation may be to reclaim a sense of balance and purpose, to reclaim the prestige his name once had with the old League, to regain a sense of community with old friends, and to soldier on in his quest to follow the calling he had even before he became the Red Tornado: to be a hero.

Also, once he finds out about the mind-wipes perpetrated by his fellow Satelliters, he may feel guilty for his ignorance and want to make up for his perceived lack of vigilance.

Plus, he IS cool... and red. The League needs one more red guy.

A case can also be made for him to rejoin JSA, but with the Satellite gang in vogue at the moment, it's a shame that Reddy - such a central character during those days - is conspicuously absent from the whole Identity to Infinity gamut so far.

So, who wants Reddy to once again rub shoulders with the Big Boys and Girls?
Last edited by crawfordcrow; May 6th, 2005 at 02:54 PM.

Old May 6th, 2005   jafabian is offline   #2
jafabian
I’m not dead.

I've always questioned if the League really trusts Reddy on his own. He's basically an android that was created by one of their arch-villains who's now controlled by an alien elemental. I would think they'd want him in the League just so they can keep an eye on him.

However, I really want him back. One of my all time favorite JLA stories is when Reddy and Firestorm starred and Ronnie learned what Reddy's origins are.

Old May 6th, 2005   Jim Beard is offline   #3
Jim Beard
Batman '66 Lives!

Me.

Jim

Old May 6th, 2005   Power Guy is offline   #4
Power Guy
persona non grata

Kurt Busiek said on the DC boards that had he stayed on as the writer of JLA he would have had Reddy rejoin along with Green Arrow, Black Canary, Hawkman, and the Crime Syndicate world's Star Saphire.

Ahh.....what could have been.

Old May 6th, 2005   bgztl is offline   #5
bgztl
Supreme Geoffan

Put me down for R.T. in the JLA. Frighteningly enough, he and Wally would be the two "normal" guys. Everybody else (except maybe the reborn Hal Jordan) is broken somehow mentally, physically or spiritually. The League is really out there right now.

But, hey! I'd like to see him pop by the JSA Brownstone for good measure.

Maybe Ma's vacuum breaks down and she calls on Reddy to help with spring cleaning?

It matters not what you fight, but what you fight for.

Mouse Guard
Old May 6th, 2005   JIrish780 is offline   #6
JIrish780

Yes, yes! Bring Red Tornado back to the JLA!

Old May 6th, 2005   sda is offline   #7
sda
Supporters

Yes, yes, YES, please! I'd ove to see Reddy back in the JLA. He's a great character. I loved it when he was on the team way back when. Failing that, he'd be a great addition to either the Outsiders or the JSA. He just needs to be SOMEWHERE.

I hear voices and they don't like you....
Old May 6th, 2005   avathar476 is offline   #8
avathar476
Vagabond

Yes

" For every season there's a reason."
Old May 6th, 2005   imarriedsatanII is offline   #9
imarriedsatanII
Horseman of the Calypso

Yes, yes, YES!!! Red Tornado needs to be in either the League (first choice) or the JSA.

"Something profound" - Me
Old May 6th, 2005   starks is offline   #10
starks
Geoffan

No. In a few years restart a new Young Justice title and have him lead it.

Old May 6th, 2005   Eric Q is offline   #11
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

Dont care where as long as he's in the spotlight.

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old May 7th, 2005   avathar476 is offline   #12
avathar476
Vagabond

Dont care where as long as he's in the spotlight.
ddf
Eric Qiu

Exactly

" For every season there's a reason."
Old May 7th, 2005   Heatwave the Rogue is offline   #13
Heatwave the Rogue
Barry Allen's #1 fan!

I not only want Red Tornado back, I want the entire Satellite Justice League team reformed (or very close to the original).

There's a Flash section here? Where is it? ;-)
Old May 7th, 2005   Power Guy is offline   #14
Power Guy
persona non grata

I not only want Red Tornado back, I want the entire Satellite Justice League team reformed (or very close to the original).
ddf
Heatwave the Rogue

You took the words right out of my mouth!

Old May 7th, 2005   Jeff Stock is offline   #15
Jeff Stock
Neo Geoffan

ddf
Heatwave the Rogue

That would be awesome. Take out Batman, bring in a couple new faces familiar to the DCU.

Old May 7th, 2005   imarriedsatanII is offline   #16
imarriedsatanII
Horseman of the Calypso

*sigh!*

Put me down in support of a return of the Satellite-era roster. Just having the originals plus Plastic Man just isn't doing it for me anymore. Red Tornado, Black Canary, Green Arrow, the Atom, Hawkman, Elongated Man, Firestorm... they all need to return. Reddy, the Atom, Zatanna and Black Canary most of all.

"Something profound" - Me