The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Back Issues: Geoff Johns

Back Issues: Geoff Johns Talk about Geoff's older work here

Old March 1st, 2010   rc is offline   #1
rc

Default How did Eart 2 come back between the Supermen's fight in the S-man books and IC 5?

It was never explained. And what happened to those Elseworld versions of themselves? How did they disappear between the S-man books and IC 5?

_Rich

Old March 1st, 2010   PyroTwilight is offline   #2
PyroTwilight
Supreme Geoffan

Sadly despite what was implied in the story the new Earth-2 is just very similar to the old Earth 2 but they're not the same.

So it was just a world that was created on a very off chance that just happens to be like the Pre-Crisis Earth-2, that is all.

Old March 1st, 2010   rc is offline   #3
rc

Yeah, but I'm asking how the "very similar" Earth 2 came back in IC 5 after Superman and Kal-L's fight destroyed it in the Superman books, as well as how/why those alternate versions of themselves disappeared.

_Rich

Old March 1st, 2010   Eric Q is offline   #4
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_Crisis

Alexander reveals to Power Girl that he and Superboy-Prime had been leaving their "paradise" for some time, manipulating events to help create an inter-dimensional tuning fork. Using the Anti-Monitor's remains and captured heroes and villains specifically attuned to former universes (Power Girl among them), Alex restores Earth-Two, un-populated except for the Earth-Two heroes transported there.[8]
ddf
Alexander selects and merges alternate Earths, trying to create a "perfect" world, until Firestorm blocks his efforts. Conner, Nightwing, and Wonder Girl release the Tower's prisoners.[13][14] Fighting each other, Conner and Superboy-Prime collide with the tower, destroying it. The multiple Earths recombine into a "New Earth" as Conner dies in Wonder Girl's arms.
ddf

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old March 1st, 2010   Human Bong is offline   #5
Human Bong
Pay Attention 2 Me

Yeah, but I'm asking how the "very similar" Earth 2 came back in IC 5 after Superman and Kal-L's fight destroyed it in the Superman books, as well as how/why those alternate versions of themselves disappeared.

_Rich
ddf
rc View Post

Was this the story where Superman and E2 Superman lived 'vicariously' through each other's lives as they punched each other back and forth, and they see how different their worlds are, and thus how different they are as Superman because things go horribly wrong living through each other's corresponding life?
I remember really liking that story, think it was Joe Kelly who wrote it. I don't remember Earth 2 being destroyed in it, but you sure it wasn't just all in Superman's head as part of the outcome what would have happened to Earth 2 if he was there making decisions?

Every issue of a DC Comic at that time had a final page showing alternate versions of a character, they didn't end up appearing anywhere, it was just meant to show the multiverse is forming again.

And if that doesn't solve it, Alexander Luthor was destroying planets left and right, and creating others, so it's not too much of a no-prize to just say he recreated Earth 2 if it was in fact destroyed.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Old March 1st, 2010   rc is offline   #6
rc

Was this the story where Superman and E2 Superman lived 'vicariously' through each other's lives as they punched each other back and forth, and they see how different their worlds are, and thus how different they are as Superman because things go horribly wrong living through each other's corresponding life?
I remember really liking that story, think it was Joe Kelly who wrote it. I don't remember Earth 2 being destroyed in it, but you sure it wasn't just all in Superman's head as part of the outcome what would have happened to Earth 2 if he was there making decisions?
ddf
Human Bong View Post
Seemed real to me. The comic speaks plainly that the planet is destroyed with their final punch and shows a blast of energy where it used to be. Also shows those alternate Superman forming around them, much as alternate versions of Kal-L formed when Alex Luthor hit the switch on his machinery.
Every issue of a DC Comic at that time had a final page showing alternate versions of a character, they didn't end up appearing anywhere, it was just meant to show the multiverse is forming again.
ddf
I got the impression the Supermen's alternates resulted because of their fight.
And if that doesn't solve it, Alexander Luthor was destroying planets left and right, and creating others, so it's not too much of a no-prize to just say he recreated Earth 2 if it was in fact destroyed.
ddf
He wasn't doing this at this point. That happened after the Supermen's fight. He had only created "Earth 2" before the Supermen went at it -- hadn't created anything else or destroyed anything.

So, how'd it come back?

_Rich

Old March 1st, 2010   Human Bong is offline   #7
Human Bong
Pay Attention 2 Me

Seemed real to me. The comic speaks plainly that the planet is destroyed with their final punch and shows a blast of energy where it used to be. Also shows those alternate Superman forming around them, much as alternate versions of Kal-L formed when Alex Luthor hit the switch on his machinery.I got the impression the Supermen's alternates resulted because of their fight.He wasn't doing this at this point. That happened after the Supermen's fight. He had only created "Earth 2" before the Supermen went at it -- hadn't created anything else or destroyed anything.

So, how'd it come back?

_Rich
ddf
rc View Post
Pretty sure the explosion was all in their head, but without the issue in front of me, I can't be definite.

Every issue of every DC comic ended with alternate versions of characters. It wasn't a story point for Superman, just the multiverse is back.

If this doesn't help, then I have no clue what to say, especially since it's an old story that doesn't really need an answer if there truly isn't one.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Old March 1st, 2010   rc is offline   #8
rc

Pretty sure the explosion was all in their head, but without the issue in front of me, I can't be definite.

Every issue of every DC comic ended with alternate versions of characters. It wasn't a story point for Superman, just the multiverse is back.

If this doesn't help, then I have no clue what to say, especially since it's an old story that doesn't really need an answer if there truly isn't one.
ddf
Human Bong View Post
It didn't say anything about it being in their head, though. But, either way, I'd like to know.

_Rich

Old March 1st, 2010   rc is offline   #9
rc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_Crisis

Alexander reveals to Power Girl that he and Superboy-Prime had been leaving their "paradise" for some time, manipulating events to help create an inter-dimensional tuning fork. Using the Anti-Monitor's remains and captured heroes and villains specifically attuned to former universes (Power Girl among them), Alex restores Earth-Two, un-populated except for the Earth-Two heroes transported there.[8]

Alexander selects and merges alternate Earths, trying to create a "perfect" world, until Firestorm blocks his efforts. Conner, Nightwing, and Wonder Girl release the Tower's prisoners.[13][14] Fighting each other, Conner and Superboy-Prime collide with the tower, destroying it. The multiple Earths recombine into a "New Earth" as Conner dies in Wonder Girl's arms.
ddf
Eric Q View Post
Doesn't apply -- the Supermen's fight happens before this does.

_Rich

Old March 1st, 2010   LastSun is offline   #10
LastSun
Master Geoffan

52 identical universes were created at the end of Infinite Crisis, Mr. Mind altered those universes history at the end of 52.

Earth-2 is one of those universes that had it's history changed to be similar to the Pre-COIE Earth-2.

EDIT: the revelation that the 52 universes continued to exist was not shown in Infinite Crisis but in 52.

It looks great! The fat one balances the two skinny ones.

Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?
Old March 1st, 2010   rc is offline   #11
rc

52 identical universes were created at the end of Infinite Crisis, Mr. Mind altered those universes history at the end of 52.

Earth-2 is one of those universes that had it's history changed to be similar to the Pre-COIE Earth-2.

EDIT: the revelation that the 52 universes continued to exist was not shown in Infinite Crisis but in 52.
ddf
LastSun View Post
Right, but I'm just trying to find out "Earth 2" that was destroyed during Superman and Kal-L's fight came back, and how their alternates disappeared, between their fight in the Superman books and IC 5.

_Rich

Old April 19th, 2010   Patrick Gerard is offline   #12
Patrick Gerard
Geoffan

ddf
LastSun View Post
He's not talking about the Earth-2 that came into being at the end of 52.

He's talking about the two storylines that played through "This is your life, Superman", written by Joe Kelly. Every time Kal-El and Kal-L punched eachother, each had a flash of the other one's life, taking their place in eachother's past.

Neither the destruction of that Earth-2 not Kal-L's actions in Kal-El's place had any effect. They were just psychically living eachother's lives. Superman also didn't found the Elite and throw all of his enemies in the Phantom Zone.

The entire story is a what if inside the two Supermen's heads of Kal-El living a life as the Superman of Earth-2 and Kal-L living the post-Crisis Superman's life, both ruining everything through the different choices they make. And it's just a time anomaly thing caused by them punching eachother while Alex Luthor fiddles with reality.

It isn't explained because Joe Kelly doesn't explain things like this.

Old April 20th, 2010   Tenzel Kim is offline   #13
Tenzel Kim
Neo Geoffan

Seemed real to me. The comic speaks plainly that the planet is destroyed with their final punch and shows a blast of energy where it used to be. Also shows those alternate Superman forming around them, much as alternate versions of Kal-L formed when Alex Luthor hit the switch on his machinery.I got the impression the Supermen's alternates resulted because of their fight.He wasn't doing this at this point. That happened after the Supermen's fight. He had only created "Earth 2" before the Supermen went at it -- hadn't created anything else or destroyed anything.

So, how'd it come back?
ddf
rc View Post
The story in Action Comics #836 and Adventures of Superman #649 is a more detailed version of what is seen in Infinite Crisis #5. Earth-2 was created in Infinite Crisis #4 and Superman (Kal-El) travelled to Earth-2 in #5 where he fought Kal-L. In Infinite Crisis we only se the blows, but in the Superman issues we see what is happening at each blow. As they say at the beginning of Adventures #649: "Each time we connect, I'm transported to his world.. living his life... A fractured dream/A persistent nightmare".

However, as can be seen they don't "quite" live their life but they live their life as they would have done if they were in control. Everything until the filan four pages of Action #836 is them living another life and then they return. "We each live a lifetime in the blink of an eye... ... and return to the emptiness of Earth-2". This is the emptiness that is seen following their fight in Infinite Crisis #5. The last pages of Action Comics #836 correspond to the page in Infinite Crisis #5 where you also see Superman divided into several alternate versions. This is because of Alex recreating the Multiverse not a result of the Supermen's fight. Blame Kelly for getting it wrong.

It is true that at the end of Action #836 they mention that their last blow "shatters the world". This must be a miscomunication between Johns and Kelly because at the time the two Supermen split into several Supermen they were no longer fighting (That doesn't make for a good visual though). So the comment about Earth-2 being destroyed is wrong as it doesn't fit with what is shown in Infinite Crisis. Just a case of bad editing.

Old April 30th, 2010   Patrick Gerard is offline   #14
Patrick Gerard
Geoffan

The story in Action Comics #836 and Adventures of Superman #649 is a more detailed version of what is seen in Infinite Crisis #5. Earth-2 was created in Infinite Crisis #4 and Superman (Kal-El) travelled to Earth-2 in #5 where he fought Kal-L. In Infinite Crisis we only se the blows, but in the Superman issues we see what is happening at each blow. As they say at the beginning of Adventures #649: "Each time we connect, I'm transported to his world.. living his life... A fractured dream/A persistent nightmare".

However, as can be seen they don't "quite" live their life but they live their life as they would have done if they were in control. Everything until the filan four pages of Action #836 is them living another life and then they return. "We each live a lifetime in the blink of an eye... ... and return to the emptiness of Earth-2". This is the emptiness that is seen following their fight in Infinite Crisis #5. The last pages of Action Comics #836 correspond to the page in Infinite Crisis #5 where you also see Superman divided into several alternate versions. This is because of Alex recreating the Multiverse not a result of the Supermen's fight. Blame Kelly for getting it wrong.

It is true that at the end of Action #836 they mention that their last blow "shatters the world". This must be a miscomunication between Johns and Kelly because at the time the two Supermen split into several Supermen they were no longer fighting (That doesn't make for a good visual though). So the comment about Earth-2 being destroyed is wrong as it doesn't fit with what is shown in Infinite Crisis. Just a case of bad editing.
ddf
Tenzel Kim View Post
I actually think the big discontinuity came because editorial decided every book that week would end with people splitting into multiverse counterparts, whether or not the book tied into IC or, if it did, whether the timeline synched up.

Old May 2nd, 2010   handler313 is offline   #15
handler313
Geoffan

That Earth 2 was never destroyed, because they are all still on it after the Superman fight. Alexander Luthor tries to merge it with Earth 3 (I believe) but is thwarted. That is where Wonder Woman meets up with Kal-El and Kal-L and they leave from there to go stop Alexander Luthor.

Then during "Round Two" when Conner and Prime crash the tower that Earth 2 and all the other Earths merged together into New Earth. It was never destroyed, it became part of New Earth which then spawned the new multiverse.

Old May 2nd, 2010   Gremlin is offline   #16
Gremlin
Mischievous sprite

Lightbulb

Sadly despite what was implied in the story the new Earth-2 is just very similar to the old Earth 2 but they're not the same.

So it was just a world that was created on a very off chance that just happens to be like the Pre-Crisis Earth-2, that is all.
ddf
PyroTwilight View Post

Which is stupid and may be why I have basically stopped buying comic books right now. The last time this happened it was after Zero Hour, now between not liking the artists on JSA and the fake Earth-2--I'm just not interested in DC, right now.

Grem--