The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Back Issues: Geoff Johns

Back Issues: Geoff Johns Talk about Geoff's older work here

Old October 8th, 2008   digitalsouljah36 is offline   #1
digitalsouljah36
Neo Geoffan

Default Day Of Judgement by Geoff Johns

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_Judgment_(comics)

I wonder if this will ever be collected. They have all 5 issues at my local comic shop. I've been tempted to buy it but with my luck, as soon as I buy it, DC Comics will decide to put it out on TPB.

Old October 8th, 2008   odessasteps is offline   #2
odessasteps
Neo Geoffan

If I had to guess, I would say no.

I believe Geoff has said in past interviews that it is not high on his list of past works and he can probably request that it not be reprinted.

Mark Coale
Editor/Publisher
Odessa Steps Magazine
Old October 8th, 2008   el Danablo is offline   #3
el Danablo

It has been awhile since I have read this, but I seem to remember liking it more than the previous weekly crossover events.

Old October 8th, 2008   Human Bong is offline   #4
Human Bong
Pay Attention 2 Me

I enjoyed it, and for what was going on in the DCU at the time, there were a lot of fun nods to past characters and some interesting changes. I really like what it set up, and I was sad to see most of the developments forgotten and ignored.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Old October 8th, 2008   Andrew NDB is offline   #5
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

If I had to guess, I would say no.

I believe Geoff has said in past interviews that it is not high on his list of past works and he can probably request that it not be reprinted.
ddf
odessasteps View Post
I believe it, on both counts. It's a little clunky, and the art was a little bit too... hm, poor man's Mignola? Geoff wrote some fantastic dialogue in this one, though.

Still, it's an interesting historical read today as a look at a younger Geoff Johns starting to carve his niche.

The Green Lantern Corps Website/Message Board: http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com
Old October 8th, 2008   BrianT is offline   #6
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

I enjoyed it, and for what was going on in the DCU at the time, there were a lot of fun nods to past characters and some interesting changes. I really like what it set up, and I was sad to see most of the developments forgotten and ignored.
ddf
Human Bong View Post
Agreed. Sentinels of Magic, anyone? I would have liked to have seen Geoff write more of Blue Devil and Faust. Still would.

Staff Writer - Bam Smack Pow
Twitter: PAComicExaminer
Bookmark my page
Old October 8th, 2008   Wally West888 is offline   #7
Wally West888
Green Lantern's Light

I just read this, I'd love this storyline well because half of the characters in this are my favorites especially with Hal and Billy being main characters in it, I'd love for it to come in trade.

See this was Geoff's way of bringing Hal back, then it took his 6 years to bring Hal back to GL.

A Green Lantern Overcomes Fear Everytime They Face It!-Hal Jordan-Green Lantern

Don't Call Me Superman...Call Me Superboy!-Conner Kent-Superboy
Old October 9th, 2008   Andrew NDB is offline   #8
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

See this was Geoff's way of bringing Hal back, then it took his 6 years to bring Hal back to GL.
ddf
Wally West888 View Post
I'm pretty sure back then, with a very new-on-the-scene Johns and DoJ, it was more like, DC: "Geoff, here's a story we want you to write, and we want you to make Hal into the Spectre" than Geoff coming up with the idea himself and championing it to DC. I could be wrong.

The Green Lantern Corps Website/Message Board: http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com
Old October 9th, 2008   Mill4rd is offline   #9
Mill4rd
persona non grata

I'd love to read this. I hope DC's trade department get on it and collect this as a trade.

Old October 9th, 2008   Andrew NDB is offline   #10
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

Why not just get the individual issues? They're not hard to come by and can get for less than cover price.

A quick look at eBay turns up not only multiple copies of all the issues, but whole sets for sale of the mini too.

Old October 9th, 2008   Mill4rd is offline   #11
Mill4rd
persona non grata

Why not just get the individual issues? They're not hard to come by and can get for less than cover price.

A quick look at eBay turns up not only multiple copies of all the issues, but whole sets for sale of the mini too.
ddf
Andrew NDB View Post
I doubt that. I really do and i really don't like shopping online.

Old October 9th, 2008   Andrew NDB is offline   #12
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

I doubt that. I really do
ddf
Mill4rd View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/DCs-Day-of-Judgm...d=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/Day-Of-Judgment-...3286.m20.l1116

http://cgi.ebay.com/Day-Of-Judgment-...3286.m20.l1116

Still doubting?

Old October 9th, 2008   vegaf22 is offline   #13
vegaf22

I ordered them online a few years ago for sub cover price. Still have them. Was well worth it. Although I would buy a trade were one to be released because of it's significance in the Hal mythos.

Old October 9th, 2008   Wally West888 is offline   #14
Wally West888
Green Lantern's Light

I'm pretty sure back then, with a very new-on-the-scene Johns and DoJ, it was more like, DC: "Geoff, here's a story we want you to write, and we want you to make Hal into the Spectre" than Geoff coming up with the idea himself and championing it to DC. I could be wrong.
ddf
Andrew NDB View Post
But there was a part in the book when Kyle views his nightmare about becoming Parallax, you never know Geoff could've been plotting this whole thing for the longest time, I mean I know he wanted to do stuff with Teen Titans with Conner and all, so I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility.

Also this is one of my favorite storylines of his, I really loved the writing, the use of all the characters and Hal's return.

But Hal's return in Rebirth was much, much better.

Old October 10th, 2008   Andrew NDB is offline   #15
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

But there was a part in the book when Kyle views his nightmare about becoming Parallax, you never know Geoff could've been plotting this whole thing for the longest time, I mean I know he wanted to do stuff with Teen Titans with Conner and all, so I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility.
ddf
Wally West888 View Post
It's out of the realm of possibility, given the timeframes and where Geoff was in DC. Though I wouldn't rule out Geoff thinking/saying to himself in between the time Tomasi brought him aboard for Rebirth and when he started plotting the Sinestro Corps War, thinking back: "Hmm, back in Day of Judgment, that bit I wrote with Kyle as Parallax... hmmm..."

Also this is one of my favorite storylines of his, I really loved the writing, the use of all the characters and Hal's return.

But Hal's return in Rebirth was much, much better.
ddf
Of course. One was company mandated (I can remember Ron Marz mentioning that it was DC editorial that drummed up the idea of resurrecting two dead things -- Spectre and Hal Jordan -- and combining them), and the other ("Rebirth") was 100% Geoff's pitch that he sold Tomasi and DC on.

Old October 10th, 2008   Wally West888 is offline   #16
Wally West888
Green Lantern's Light

Well Still I like both Rebirth and DoJ I think Geoff wrote all the characters he did in that, better than he writes the JSoA now with all the characters, but still Geoff on Hal is just a good mix, mandate or not.