The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Justice League

Old January 23rd, 2010   oddballuk is offline   #1
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

Default Justice League of America #41 Discussion Thread (with Preview)

Out Jan 27th, it is the beginning of a new League as they pick up the pieces following Justice League: Cry for Justice and Blackest Night.

Preview at The Source: http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2010/01...of-america-41/

BIG spoilers for Justice League: Cry for Justice and a little for Blackest Night in that preview.

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
Obviously Ollie and Donna survive becoming Black Lanterns but the biggest spoiler is the decimation of Star City and the fate of Prometheus?

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old January 23rd, 2010   RetroWarbird is offline   #2
RetroWarbird
Geoffan

Out Jan 27th, it is the beginning of a new League as they pick up the pieces following Justice League: Cry for Justice and Blackest Night.

Preview at The Source: http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2010/01...of-america-41/

BIG spoilers for Justice League: Cry for Justice and a little for Blackest Night in that preview.

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
Obviously Ollie and Donna survive becoming Black Lanterns but the biggest spoiler is the decimation of Star City and the fate of Prometheus?

ddf
oddballuk View Post
Yes. Lots of spoiler territory here. Now, granted ... we all expected the heroes who were last turned to Black Lanterns - Superman, Donna Troy, Ollie, Kid Flash ... we all pretty much knew they wouldn't stay dead.

And lots of people have theorized that Prometheus would do something to damage Star City. So this in fact feeds the theory that Prometheus is going to get away with his revenge, and Ollie is the guy who doesn't let that happen ... probably with finality. And that's a pretty big spoiler, considering there's two more issues of Cry For Justice (one that comes out on the same day as this issue of JLA).

Weird. The lateness of Cry For Justice strikes again.

In other news, though ... I like Doctor Light's new costume.

And next week is a massssive DC release week. There's like 14 issues I plan on getting. That's painful on the wallet.

Nekron. Comic Con. Necronomicon.
GIVE ADVENTURE COMICS BACK TO AQUAMAN
Old January 23rd, 2010   JRM is offline   #3
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Each release actually dampens my interest, oh well.

A few thoughts - moving Mari out again - maybe we can hope that there are plans out there somewher to let Johhny O put the old gang back together (more or less) and we'll see the Suicide Squad once more... Okay that`s my hope...

Secondly - I can understand the using of DC`s Tin-man, Red Tornado, as the resident kicking can - but how many times has he been basicly scrapped as a plot point. Is he that hard of a character to write that is is just easier to just scrap him? I mean in the nearly 40 years since his creation, how many times has he gone boom-boom or has been toasted in some manner? Right now he is almost DC's version of Southpark's Kenny

Still awaiting the line, "You blew up Reddy, you Bast...."

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old January 23rd, 2010   curiouswanderer is offline   #4
curiouswanderer
O'Brian Tallent

There's been a lot of talk about this group not being the final line-up, so I'm wondering who will stick around of this bunch anyway.
We've got:
Hal
Ollie
Dr. Light
Donna Troy
Cyborg
Congorilla
Guardian
Starfire
Mon-El
Atom
& Batwing (Dick Grayson Batman)

According to REBELS April solicit, Starfire appears to be heading there. I doubt Mon-El sticks around after War of the Supermen, we've got Bruce Wayne coming back around then also. Who knows what's going on with Ollie and I expect that Vixen will return about then also as it's been alluded to (but unfortunately I can't tell you where right now.)
So we are still getting a couple months worth of filler before we actually get a solid JLA team, it seems.

Havenplace Community Youth Center

My curiouswandering Space

Not all who wander are lost. ~JRR Tolkien
Old January 23rd, 2010   impulse1999 is offline   #5
impulse1999
Advanced Geoffan

Wasn't it released this week James plans to give Mikaal the Starman name and use him in JLA?

James has said in interviews, yes, he plans to use Vixen again (like the character says... she has to heal first and isn't much good a.t.m). I just thought we have a holding team for a year while Slade runs the Titans for a year in Brightest Day, then we'll get the resurrected Aquaman, Firestorm and Hawks back on the JLA with the Trinity.

DCnU? We'll see....
Old January 23rd, 2010   chasm is offline   #6
chasm
Master Geoffan

There's been a lot of talk about this group not being the final line-up, so I'm wondering who will stick around of this bunch anyway.
We've got:
Hal
Ollie
Dr. Light
Donna Troy
Cyborg
Congorilla
Guardian
Starfire
Mon-El
Atom
& Batwing (Dick Grayson Batman)

According to REBELS April solicit, Starfire appears to be heading there. I doubt Mon-El sticks around after War of the Supermen, we've got Bruce Wayne coming back around then also. Who knows what's going on with Ollie and I expect that Vixen will return about then also as it's been alluded to (but unfortunately I can't tell you where right now.)
So we are still getting a couple months worth of filler before we actually get a solid JLA team, it seems.
ddf
curiouswanderer View Post
It feels like we've had two years of filler. Same on Titans as well.

Old January 23rd, 2010   oddballuk is offline   #7
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

Wasn't it released this week James plans to give Mikaal the Starman name and use him in JLA?

James has said in interviews, yes, he plans to use Vixen again (like the character says... she has to heal first and isn't much good a.t.m). I just thought we have a holding team for a year while Slade runs the Titans for a year in Brightest Day, then we'll get the resurrected Aquaman, Firestorm and Hawks back on the JLA with the Trinity.
ddf
impulse1999 View Post
I am looking forward to more Mikaal.

The best parts about Cry for Justice (aside from the Shade cameo) has been the Congo Bill/Mikaal team.

I'd love to see Aquaman and the Hawks alive again and in the League (Firestorm too, hopefully as a Jason/Ronnie team).

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old January 23rd, 2010   JRM is offline   #8
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

It feels like we've had two years of filler. Same on Titans as well.
ddf
chasm View Post
Remember when, you might get one or two filler issue over two years, now we get two years of filler between book events. At the cost of comics today, this is getting ridiculous cause we know that the "new" status quo will last but a few months. BN maybe good but that is a curse on its own. We know we will get the 52-Countdown syndrome or the Event Annual syndrome - call it what we will. The first experiment is outstanding and the follow-ups tend to suck. But due to the success of the first one, the companies keep trying to hit gold again.

In the end this is killing my interest in most of these projects. Rather just have good stories in a book, the rare thus special cross-over or even rarer and thus even more special company event. Now the outstanding stand alone story within a title is the truly special and rare event.

Jim

Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old January 24th, 2010   KonFan78 is offline   #9
KonFan78
Advanced Geoffan

You know maybe it's just me, but I'd like to see the Trinity focus on their own adventures and let some of the other heroes take over the JLA for awhile. I think Dick should be JLA's Batman for the forciable future, and Mon-El should be there until he goes back into the phantom zone. Hell let Donna stay in the JLA and have Diana go on some myth adventures for awhile

Old January 24th, 2010   Astro is offline   #10
Astro
Geoffan

Remember when, you might get one or two filler issue over two years, now we get two years of filler between book events. At the cost of comics today, this is getting ridiculous cause we know that the "new" status quo will last but a few months. BN maybe good but that is a curse on its own. We know we will get the 52-Countdown syndrome or the Event Annual syndrome - call it what we will. The first experiment is outstanding and the follow-ups tend to suck. But due to the success of the first one, the companies keep trying to hit gold again.

In the end this is killing my interest in most of these projects. Rather just have good stories in a book, the rare thus special cross-over or even rarer and thus even more special company event. Now the outstanding stand alone story within a title is the truly special and rare event.

Jim
ddf
JRM View Post
I guess the real question is, what do you consider a 'filler' issue? If the stories being told aren't doing anything earth shattering with the cast, but are entertaining and big and bold, are they filler issues? Did Morrison really NEED a tight, consistent cast to tell his JLA stories? Does anyone, given the type of book JLA has almost always been?

I'm just saying, so long as a cast stays consistent to complete a single story arc, I think a book like JLA should be fine. You don't need romantic entanglements or long-form plots involving Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Mon El, etc.

I'll be happy if, as the solicits indicate, we get big, fun action adventure tales with big superheroics, even if the line up is changing and shifting. That was the basic premise of the satellite league, and I was okay with that.

Old January 24th, 2010   married guy is offline   #11
married guy
The 3 Legged Horseman

Jim
ddf
JRM View Post
Amen brother!

'My name is Wally West. I'm the Flash!'
I'm in a very abusive relationship with DC, and I just keep coming back for more. - Fastest
Old January 24th, 2010   married guy is offline   #12
married guy
The 3 Legged Horseman

I can't stand anymore of this crap.
I've finally dropped JLA from my pull list.

Slightly off topic for a second...

Words cannot express how pissed I am at the decisions being made in regards to the Arrow-verse. Yes a change was needed, as the book has been unreadable for quite some time, but bloody hell, this ISN'T IT!!!

Kill Mia AND Lian??? REALLY???
Not enough to rip off people's appendages anymore I guess.
*Ahem*
DC seems to have forgotten that JLA is a book unto itself. You still need to tell ongoing stories about the characters it features. Not just set up/tie in to whatever freaking 'event' happens to be going on that month.

'My name is Wally West. I'm the Flash!'
I'm in a very abusive relationship with DC, and I just keep coming back for more. - Fastest
Old January 24th, 2010   Mackaybear is offline   #13
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

I can't stand anymore of this crap.
I've finally dropped JLA from my pull list.

Slightly off topic for a second...

Words cannot express how pissed I am at the decisions being made in regards to the Arrow-verse. Yes a change was needed, as the book has been unreadable for quite some time, but bloody hell, this ISN'T IT!!!

Kill Mia AND Lian??? REALLY???
Not enough to rip off people's appendages anymore I guess.
*Ahem*
DC seems to have forgotten that JLA is a book unto itself. You still need to tell ongoing stories about the characters it features. Not just set up/tie in to whatever freaking 'event' happens to be going on that month.
ddf
married guy View Post
i really do understand that you are frustrated and unhappy...and you have every right to say so.

But please watch the language....you're perilously close to violating the rules concerning proper language usage here.

We do try to keep this an All Ages Board.......

I may be old and crippled, but I ain't dead yet.
Old January 24th, 2010   JRM is offline   #14
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

I guess the real question is, what do you consider a 'filler' issue? If the stories being told aren't doing anything earth shattering with the cast, but are entertaining and big and bold, are they filler issues? Did Morrison really NEED a tight, consistent cast to tell his JLA stories? Does anyone, given the type of book JLA has almost always been?

I'm just saying, so long as a cast stays consistent to complete a single story arc, I think a book like JLA should be fine. You don't need romantic entanglements or long-form plots involving Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Mon El, etc.

I'll be happy if, as the solicits indicate, we get big, fun action adventure tales with big superheroics, even if the line up is changing and shifting. That was the basic premise of the satellite league, and I was okay with that.
ddf
Astro View Post
Actually my beef was not aimed at the "fillers" but the attitude that DC seems to see them. This focus on constantly upping the ante and having periods that have issues just thrown in often by whomever often as quasi-prologues to the next "mega-mega-mega-event" (yeah I'm being sarcastic), BN is too some degree the anomaly (ie it is generally well constructed and solidly produced as a whole brand) but too often this does not happen but still too much energy is put into this and creating solid books on that stand on their own merit become second. Proof - look at the fretting over Powergirl and the lamenting that since it is not tied to WoNK or the S-books it is doomed. That is clearly what DC wants - buy for events... hey I expect that most BN readers have coughed up the over $400 bucks for this event. But was it necessary? For DC's been counters - yeah - but in the end - how much longer are people going to jump at this. One Turkey project and DC's cred is largely toasted.

Go back and look at the great runs from over the past even 50 years - most are tied to a particular team working on a particular book with a few feelers out to a few other titles. Yes there were filler issues (come on artist got behind back then too) but they were rarer - right now it seems to be ..." humm that didn't work ... lets tie this book into that ... but that can't happen for months ... well well announce the new team but throw someone else there till we're ready.

Yeah, Okay ... whatever DC, fine not willing to put good money in for general crap - will pick up fill-ins that are tell a solid story but dropping from my pull and if I miss these issues - oh well cause most aren't that good.

So I'm a minority and find DC's assumption of sheep-like conditioning of readers to be insulting to me. Give me solid runs on books that I want to read, not the ongoing issue of having to read many books to get a complete story.

Maybe that is why I'm so attracted to those books that live in their own little area and often produce outstanding and more off-beat and creative story-telling -- rather than the cookie cutter of most all events.

Jim

The LSH ... RIP
Old January 24th, 2010   Astro is offline   #15
Astro
Geoffan

JRM, we are totally simpatico in a lot of respects here. I acknowledge that the best runs have, historically, existed in their own little corner. But I also acknowledge that those stories tended to center around smaller, newer or neglected characters or groups of characters. Starman, Spectre, Suicide Squad, Hitman, Orion, Secret Six (a new cult classic in the making, IMHO), Morrison's Doom Patrol and Animal Man...It has long been the case that, to do anything really different and really deep one has to go to the fringes of the mainstream universe.

What I want - what I expect - from my big, central mainstream team books is naturally going to be different. I'm comfortable with things being a little more conventional, the characterizations being a little less intimate, on a book like JLA (and Avengers, for that matter).

I see what you're saying about place holders and filler and waiting for the next big event, and I agree -- that's a serious problem. But it has almost ALWAYS been a serious problem, and the sad truth is that big events are still selling and I don't expect that to change any time soon. As such, I don't really expect publishing strategies to change. Even over at Marvel, with the Avengers books being at the very center of the big, bombastic event, there is STILL constantly a feeling of spinning the wheels until "Secret Invasion" or "Siege" or whatever comes up. Stories play out over years and years, across multiple books, making the individual issues of, say, New Avengers feel like incremental buildup...like they are almost standing still.

Old January 24th, 2010   chrisbenes is offline   #16
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

Actually my beef was not aimed at the "fillers" but the attitude that DC seems to see them. This focus on constantly upping the ante and having periods that have issues just thrown in often by whomever often as quasi-prologues to the next "mega-mega-mega-event" (yeah I'm being sarcastic), BN is too some degree the anomaly (ie it is generally well constructed and solidly produced as a whole brand) but too often this does not happen but still too much energy is put into this and creating solid books on that stand on their own merit become second. Proof - look at the fretting over Powergirl and the lamenting that since it is not tied to WoNK or the S-books it is doomed. That is clearly what DC wants - buy for events... hey I expect that most BN readers have coughed up the over $400 bucks for this event. But was it necessary? For DC's been counters - yeah - but in the end - how much longer are people going to jump at this. One Turkey project and DC's cred is largely toasted.
ddf
JRM View Post
Have to agree with you here Jim.

I stopped buying the BN mini's. I enjoyed BAtman and Superman but they really were not direct ties to what you need to read in BN...Not lik GL and GLC.

BN i well done as a whole but DC went way overboard with all these tie in's. With the economy the way it is does either company reallyneed to do it like this?

SPOON!!!!

Independent George