The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Greg Rucka > Greg's Novels

Greg's Novels Perfect Dark, Queen & Country, Kodiak, Patriot Acts and more

Old August 23rd, 2014   Matches is offline   #1
Matches
stepping aside

Default Bravo (spoilers)

Anyone check out Bravo yet? It's out, if anyone missed it - 2nd book in the Jad Bell series. This installment introduces a compelling-but-damaged female character (I know, right? In a Rucka book?). It picks up just a few days after the events of Alpha, as Bell's unit tries to hunt down the folks responsible for the theme park attack.

I found this one superior to Alpha - I've noticed that Greg's 2nd volumes of series seem to surpass the 1sts most of the time. Petra is an inspired addition to the series - she's actually more interesting than Bell. I did roll my eyes a bit at the idea that Amy & Athena could once again be in danger, this time simply by virtue of being related to Jad. That's kind of a "Hollywood-y" twist IMO. Overall this one was quite strong though, and I'm already looking forward to the third novel.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old August 27th, 2014   Danny Perkins is offline   #2
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

Anyone check out Bravo yet? It's out, if anyone missed it - 2nd book in the Jad Bell series. This installment introduces a compelling-but-damaged female character (I know, right? In a Rucka book?). It picks up just a few days after the events of Alpha, as Bell's unit tries to hunt down the folks responsible for the theme park attack.

I found this one superior to Alpha - I've noticed that Greg's 2nd volumes of series seem to surpass the 1sts most of the time. Petra is an inspired addition to the series - she's actually more interesting than Bell. I did roll my eyes a bit at the idea that Amy & Athena could once again be in danger, this time simply by virtue of being related to Jad. That's kind of a "Hollywood-y" twist IMO. Overall this one was quite strong though, and I'm already looking forward to the third novel.
ddf
Matches View Post
I have put off posting on this here since I didn't read the book since it was released, but like a year ago. I too found it superior to Alpha, which is hard for me to say given my sentimental feelings towards that book.

I contemplated writing a review but didn't, but I'll give some of the highlights now.

#1 Greg is better than anyone I've ever read at creating heart pumping action through prose. I aboslutely loved that virtually no time passes between the end of ALPHA and the beginning of BRAVO. The opening infiltration scene is breathtaking. The line that like 10 seconds had passed as you are reading it blew me away.

#2 Greg is the least predictable writer I've ever read. I can't count the number of times I say to myself "Well I did not see that coming". On the other side when you are trying to think along with him and predict where the story is going occasionally he'll give you what you expect only it isn't at all what you thought. Matches I think in the case of BRAVO you know what specifically I'm refering to.

I actually want to re-read ALPHA and I just got my copy back from a loan before diving back in to BRAVO. I don't have a copy of it though, only a pdf of the draft so that is part of the reason I haven't as reading a PDF sucks hard. So, I need to order a copy.

So, general take away is that I thought it was outstanding. Maybe my favorite book he's written.

My Rucka top 5 is
1. Bravo
2. Walking Dead
3. The Last Run
4. Alpha
5. A Gentlemen's Game

I hope others read it. I deliberatly avoided spoilers here, but if others are interested in discussing specifics BRING IT!

If you weren't expecting this to be good, then you need to go and read a bunch of Greg Rucka comics. - MattDiCarlo
Old September 5th, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #3
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

Was not aware this came out. Will remedy.