The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old March 28th, 2007   CrimeSyndicateCraig is offline   #1
CrimeSyndicateCraig
Eat paintbrush!

Default Batman #664 Discussion!

From Bruce Wayne skiing to a new love interest to fighting crooked cops to the REALLY AWESOME Andy Kubert spread of Batman flying down, kicking some guys face in, I have to say I really enjoyed this issue. It seemed like it would be another generic Batman story, but Grant really threw in some really good scenes and an interesting mystery.

Old March 28th, 2007   rpi is offline   #2
rpi
Geoffan

If the two titles didn't have the same writer listed, I'd have a lot of trouble believing this Batman run was being written by the guy who did the best run on JLA ever and is writing the astonishing AS Superman. By all accounts from other great creators, Morrison has more ideas in a day for comics than most creators get in a month. Seeing what he's done with JLA, X-Men, Superman, 52, Animal Man, Seven Soldiers, and so many others, I can absolutely believe that. It's so frustrating to me that his work on Batman feels like the exception. The man who took out five white martians after bailing from his destroyed plane gets taken out like that by a Bane-reject crooked cop? The man who, in a lot of ways, is the conscience of the DCU takes out a helicopter the way he did, risking the pilot's life? Plus, that skiing scene...I think Morrison's taking his Bond love a bit too far. The Joker story was really fantastic but other than that...it just feels like Morrison's slumming here, like he's putting in less effort than he does with pretty much every other thing he does. Same writer, same character, but they feel totally different and not in a good way.

Every artist is a cannibal
Every poet is a thief
All kill their inspiration
And sing about the grief
Old March 28th, 2007   Ourheroerikw5 is offline   #3
Ourheroerikw5

Does anyone else feel that this title is a little hard to follow? I feel like Grant is jumping to a different story before he finishes the last one. Am i alone in thinking this?

Old March 28th, 2007   Jake1823 is offline   #4
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

Does anyone else feel that this title is a little hard to follow? I feel like Grant is jumping to a different story before he finishes the last one. Am i alone in thinking this?
ddf
Ourheroerikw5 View Post
I didn't read this issue yet, but wasn't the Joker story finished? I came away from the issue thinking that, at least.

Where is everybody?
Old March 28th, 2007   rpi is offline   #5
rpi
Geoffan

I didn't read this issue yet, but wasn't the Joker story finished? I came away from the issue thinking that, at least.
ddf
Jake1823 View Post
It starts just as the Talia/Damien/ninja Man-Bat story is ending. I'm guessing the Joker story was planned for a little later but it had to be moved up to accommodate Kubert's pace.

Every poet is a thief
And sing about the grief
Old March 28th, 2007   Jake1823 is offline   #6
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

It starts just as the Talia/Damien/ninja Man-Bat story is ending. I'm guessing the Joker story was planned for a little later but it had to be moved up to accommodate Kubert's pace.
ddf
rpi View Post
Maybe, but the Joker story did end. So we're going from a finished story to another story.

Where is everybody?
Old March 28th, 2007   booyah is offline   #7
booyah
Effing Awesome Horseman

Location: Arkham Asylum, revolving door for the Criminally Insane

This issue really did seem random, I will admit that.
Aside from that it was an interesting read. Kubert's art took a BIG step up this issue, it was spectacular.
Can't wait to find out what the Black Casebook is, sounds pretty intriguing.

I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum.....and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Old March 28th, 2007   Wally West888 is offline   #8
Wally West888
Green Lantern's Light

I really liked the issue, it was good to actually read an issue of Batman after the Ostrander issues and the Joker ones I didn't read.

It was good to see Bruce be out on a date and actually be happy. I really want to know what the Black Casebook is, it sounds really intriguing. Also who did Batman kill Samurai style? have we seen that or is that happening in 52?

and Batman losing was because he wasn't focused on fighting, I mean he was thinking about the Black Casebook, which must be super important for him to be unfocused.

A Green Lantern Overcomes Fear Everytime They Face It!-Hal Jordan-Green Lantern

Don't Call Me Superman...Call Me Superboy!-Conner Kent-Superboy
Old March 28th, 2007   JRennoldz is offline   #9
JRennoldz

If the two titles didn't have the same writer listed, I'd have a lot of trouble believing this Batman run was being written by the guy who did the best run on JLA ever and is writing the astonishing AS Superman. By all accounts from other great creators, Morrison has more ideas in a day for comics than most creators get in a month. Seeing what he's done with JLA, X-Men, Superman, 52, Animal Man, Seven Soldiers, and so many others, I can absolutely believe that. It's so frustrating to me that his work on Batman feels like the exception. The man who took out five white martians after bailing from his destroyed plane gets taken out like that by a Bane-reject crooked cop? The man who, in a lot of ways, is the conscience of the DCU takes out a helicopter the way he did, risking the pilot's life? Plus, that skiing scene...I think Morrison's taking his Bond love a bit too far. The Joker story was really fantastic but other than that...it just feels like Morrison's slumming here, like he's putting in less effort than he does with pretty much every other thing he does. Same writer, same character, but they feel totally different and not in a good way.
ddf
rpi View Post

Wow, you don't get out much do you? It is a comicbook i.e. entertainment!
So mad...

I thought this issue was amazing and superb. Morrison, is a fantastic writer and Kubert's art just leapt off the pages. Awesome read!

Old March 28th, 2007   rpi is offline   #10
rpi
Geoffan

Wow, you don't get out much do you? It is a comicbook i.e. entertainment!
So mad...

I thought this issue was amazing and superb. Morrison, is a fantastic writer and Kubert's art just leapt off the pages. Awesome read!
ddf
JRennoldz View Post
Soz, I just like the idea of Morrison being able to keep up the pace he does on other titles with the character he seemed to be able to write the best. My fault for having expectations based on his previous work, I know.

Every poet is a thief
And sing about the grief
Old March 29th, 2007   jafabian is offline   #11
jafabian
I’m not dead.

This is how All-Star Batman should be done. A solid issue, very much worthy of being a Bat-title. Love the opening with Bruce. It made Bruce Wayne as interesting a character as Batman himself.

Old March 29th, 2007   moira is offline   #12
moira
Edit-God Eric's follower

I far preferred the ending to the beginning.

If Batman's going to be in a fight with a synthetic, amped-up giant, he should get battered, but in his head, he's not irrevocably beaten. Which is why I love him; he's always on the edge of the end, he's breakable and he knows it, and it still doesn't stop him....even when he knows it's inevitable that he'll lose a fight like this one. I loved that last panel and I'm eagerly waiting to find out how, even if, he'll come back.

Old March 29th, 2007   rpi is offline   #13
rpi
Geoffan

One interesting idea that was pointed out on another message board: what if Bruce Wayne is still with Jezebel when Batman is getting his back broken again? This issue does have a different letterer than the previous ones but "Batman's" thought balloons look very different from the previous Morrison issue that had them. There's also an established theme through Morrison's run already of people dressing up like Batman, be it the cop at the start of it, the Bane-type-person, Damien of the future, or the multi-cultural Batmen of all the world. Granted, it's a concept I'm not sure is worth exploring since it dilutes the idea of Batman but it's there. It also doesn't necessarily explain his interior monologue referring to board rooms and his willingness to hand out Wayne Enterprises cards, but it's still an interesting idea.

Every poet is a thief
And sing about the grief
Old March 29th, 2007   General grievous is offline   #14
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

i am loving this issue, art was fine, story nice.

small moments please me. like when batman told the young prostitute not to be out on the streets again!
and he gave her the waynecorp card with the phone number on it. sweet. made me smile, when a comic does that for me, it does it's job. batman is going so well now i feel.

"There is a Grant, Morrison be thy name!"
Old March 29th, 2007   Simon DelMonte is offline   #15
Simon DelMonte
Diehard DCU & Mets Fan

What a mess. Half irrelevant., half incoherent. Sorry, Grant, but that's if for me.

Simon DelMonte
Old March 29th, 2007   Holiday is offline   #16
Holiday
White Pawn

Morrison's run on Batman so far has been pretty good. I really enjoyed the issue. He seems to have a great grasp of Batman and Bruce Wayne. I can't wait for the next issue.

"Has the world become too fast for you?

Nope, the world is finally catching up." -Barry Allen