The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old September 25th, 2006   Jeff Shabazz is offline   #1
Jeff Shabazz
persona non grata

Default Why do you think Marvel always beats DC?

Simple question. Why?

My answer:

1. Marvel characters are more saturated into the public consciousness and have been for a long time. Only Superman and Batman rival this exposure.

2. Popular Marvel characters are generally more appealing to the "every man" and tend to be "cooler" and look cooler to the average person. This led to more people deciding to read about them.

3. The X-Men. Quite simply, this is the most commercially appealing comic group ever created, and this leads to tons of spin offs that generate purchases.

4. Once Marvel has a character that sells, even a little, they exploit it and weave endless stories about them. I.E. they stick to their guns. DC, on the other hand, tends to discard characters and replace them, even when they are doing quite well. The direct result is that Marvel readers continue to buy and read multiple titles about a familiar character, while DC readers are always forced to decide if they want to read about a new version of their beloved characters.

5. Marvel doesn't ever play it safe while DC usually does, however (going back to #4) Marvel goes off the deep end without replacing or removing familiar faces. If anything, they add to them.

In short, Marvel gives comic readers what they want: wild stories with radical changes without replacing or removing familiar characters.

DC, with it's incredible depth of characters to choose from, could easily emulate Marvel's success. Instead they choose to kill off or replace money sinks. It's no wonder Marvel wins every month, every year, and continues to pump out movie after money making movie, and all DC has to show is a few good Batman movies and '52'.

Old September 25th, 2006   ConnorFan is offline   #2
ConnorFan
aka Alex Violette

1-3 I agree with 4-5 imo dont really change anything, both DC and Marvel get bumps from these things not long lasting sales. DC gets spikes through legacy characters that allow the reader who hasnt been reading DC for 30 years to hop on, while marvel goes for radical events that change very little but in the story themselves they are huge.

My 4 and 5 would be:

4. Art... Marvel has a house style, and 99% of their main line is accessable in terms of art. That is not to say that DC has bad artists, just that they are more willing to take a chance on an artistic style that may not translate all too well. When I pick up a marvel book 9 times out of 10 I will get a strong straight forward art style that I can follow. Perkins Ryan Mcknivn and company all have adapted to the marvel style, so Union Jack feels like it is in the same universe as Civil War. Ryan is leaving New Excalibur for Runaways... but I'm not worried because whoever they get will follow along nicely in the same kind of style, maybe a little better or a little worse but I highly doubt i wont be able ot read it or will be willing to stop reading the book because of art.

5. Better marketing... for gods sake have you seen the civil war trailers? They are freaking amazing. When I read about something coming out of marvel even if I hate the concept I still can acknowledge that it sounds good for whatever audience they are targeting. Sometimes DC's stuff is kinda simple and lacks flair. Like they dont know who they are appealing to so they try to appeal to everyone and appeal to no one.

Old September 25th, 2006   mandoImissmst3k is offline   #3
mandoImissmst3k
you should sue supercuts

marvel has a house style? really?

Here's a spoiler: you will die alone.
Old September 25th, 2006   PMH is offline   #4
PMH
Freedom Fighter

5. Better marketing... for gods sake have you seen the civil war trailers? They are freaking amazing. When I read about something coming out of marvel even if I hate the concept I still can acknowledge that it sounds good for whatever audience they are targeting. Sometimes DC's stuff is kinda simple and lacks flair. Like they dont know who they are appealing to so they try to appeal to everyone and appeal to no one.
ddf
ConnorFan View Post

I liked their latest trailer a lot. It was really cool! I hated the past ones though cause of the guy talking in them. His voice was so annoying! Or maybe it was in the Planet Hulk trailer.

"I don't imagine there will be any X-Men similarities. Except when Damage starts smoking cigars and calling everyone "Bub."

SNIKT!" -Matt Sturges
Old September 25th, 2006   Can1 is offline   #5
Can1
Supporters

Marvel consistently produces quality product and has done so for years.

Marvel understands their market and has so for years.

Marvel produces to their market ... etc.

DC has too long attempted to play to Marvels market instead of establishing their own.

Marvel books in the top twenty feature either the XMen or Spider-Man or some combination of the two.

With all of that .. and the ground that DC has to make up ... have to be pleased with the results so far

Buy what you like and you will never be disappointed!!
Old September 25th, 2006   mego joe is offline   #6
mego joe
Geoffan

I really have no idea, b/c DC has appealed to me much more than Marvel since I was about 14 (I'm 36 now). I can't tell you the last time I read a Marvel Comic. I just don't get it. For me, DC is where it's at.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old September 25th, 2006   Matt Olsen is offline   #7
Matt Olsen
Dark Lord of Daffodils

I think it largely comes down to the fact that Marvel's iconic characters were created decades after DC's iconic characters, so Marvel's speak to a modern sensibility a little better.

I also think that today's readership (with some exceptions like myself) was mostly formed in the 80s and 90s when Marvel was focusing on its core characters while DC was putting more of its weight behind second and third-tier characters and let their lead properties atrophy a bit. At least, that's the impression I have.

And yeah, Marvel seems to be more committed in the marketing and licensing departments.

In my opinion, the business about replacing lower tier characters is more of a personal gripe and has less market impact than you might think.

"He's a semi-aquatic, egg-laying mammal of action..."
Old September 25th, 2006   Joshua Pantalleresco is offline   #8
Joshua Pantalleresco
Mr. Pants

Marvel has for the longest time simply catered to their audience. I don't think their stories are necessarily better (though some admittedly are cool) but they do a better job hyping up their own events then DC does. Joe Quesada does a Q and A with the fans virtually every week....there seems to be more of an attempt by Marvel to reach out to people and that I think is the difference. It's not so much the product, but more about who caters to whom.

JP

Check out Veritas, my new comic Here and Here.

Spread the Word!
Old September 25th, 2006   married guy is offline   #9
married guy
The 3 Legged Horseman

I think it's simply Marvel are pumping out stories people want to read.

Even though I'm not a big Marvel fan, Civil War certainly got my interest.
Spider-Man & X -Men have BIG name writers and artists and some of the healthiest movie franchises around.

Marvel are MUCH better at convincing people what they want.
DC/Warner Bros. have dropped the ball WAY too many times.
(Batman & Robin ring any bells?)

'My name is Wally West. I'm the Flash!'
I'm in a very abusive relationship with DC, and I just keep coming back for more. - Fastest
Old September 25th, 2006   Danjester is offline   #10
Danjester
Batman-Wannabe Horseman

I used to read pretty much exclusively marvel books. That's now swung the other way so dramatically that the ONLY monthly I get from Marvel is She-Hulk. None of their other stuff interests me enough to pick it up.

I get the odd mini or tpb but beyond that I don't like their current product generally.

"Rubber-stamping most of DC's output as S.A.W.F. since 2005"
Old September 25th, 2006   Brupaste is offline   #11
Brupaste

I suppose Marvel (in its' day) was more 'real' than DC, which was both new and appealing to the masses. Now, why people need 'reality' in stories about men and women with superpowers is beyond me. The absurdity of a lot of DC's books are what drew me in as a kid. Peter Parker's pimples vs. Beppo the Super Monkey? No contest!

These days, though, who knows? I know which side I'm on: DC's!

Old September 25th, 2006   GLJeans is offline   #12
GLJeans
Geoffan

I tend to go with the marketing style theories. This is odd only because the giant that is warner should easily beat them at this game. How deep is warner's committment to comics?

Marvel has also amassed a coolness factor that is hard for dc to beat. I may feel this is somewhat undeserved because I do prefer DC and have always been somewhat of a maverick, but it's there.

Try discussing DC with a rabid Mavellite, ...sheesh!

Who among the world of strangers will hold our hand, touch our hearts, and share the pain of trying.
Heroes, season finale 2007.

GLGypsy.
Old September 25th, 2006   Superman Prime is offline   #13
Superman Prime
Sexual Chocolate

Marvel doesn't do re-orders. I hear that plays a big part in why they beat DC.

“Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul, I swear…until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share— I’ll never stop fighting. Ever.”[br]-- Superman, Action Comics #775
Old September 25th, 2006   Navydeepsea is offline   #14
Navydeepsea*
Carter Hall Wannabe

I don't why Marvel beats DC. The first Marvel comic I bought in years was the first issue of the New Invaders, and it SUCKED. I am buying and enjoying the Agents of Atlas series now. Otherwise all DC and indy's for me.

Read Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnazes. Then go Run ya lazy ass.
Old September 25th, 2006   dragon.king is offline   #15
dragon.king
Son of Heaven

Marvel? What is this thing you call... Marvel?

Click here to get a degree in Superhero Theory.
Old September 25th, 2006   alucardbarnivous is offline   #16
alucardbarnivous
Jerry Whitworth

I think it's because the American audience has been lead by the mass media to lean towards material that is bright, flashy, explicit, shocking, and not necessarily of much substance. That's why the Academy Awards are quickly becoming an award ceremony for films nobody goes to see. That's why most news channels rely on agenda setting, human interest, and a ridiculous severity of gatekeeping (all with bright lights and titles that "pop").

To keep up-to-date with me, friend me on Facebook.