The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old February 29th, 2016   starks is offline   #65
starks
Geoffan

Secret Six #11: I've picked up this title here and there. It seems to be a weird title a lot of the times. The issue itself was good, once you get past the fact that Catman is walking a goat-bug hybrid in a park & Ralph Dibney is a Mr. Hyde looking character named Big Shot. Dale Eaglesham's talent needs to be used on a better title.

Teen Titans #17: For the life of me, I thought the team disbanded in the previous issue, so I didn't really know what was going on here. Thinking a new creative team took over & just did their own thing. The issue was fine in of itself. One thing that stands out to me is that Cassie Sandsmark, a.k.a. Wonder Girl, would make for a better villain than hero.

Cyborg #8: Another decent story in the beginning, but this mother ghost thing is stupid. And it felt like two different writers here. Cyborg sounded like a pleasant guy in the beginning, but when he was at STAR Labs, for whatever reason, David Walker writes him as a smug jerk. Walker has been a big disappointment on this title.

Couple of nitpicks: 1) Don't remember Vic living with his dad 2) Panel #3 on page 5 has either the wrong word used or a word missing 3) Wrong speech balloon attributed to a character ("Now, please pass the syrup.").

Sorry for the nitpicks, but the editing in comic books has become so bad in the last year or two. These are supposed to be professionally made books, and they're far from it. Then again, there are so many mistakes in newspaper articles too. Editors & writers please note: Spell check isn't enough.

Aquaman #49: New team, feels refreshing. This was way overdue.

Batman #49: Haven't been following the title because Bruce Wayne is Batman for me, not a young mohawked Jim Gordon. I picked up this issue (and will the next) to see how they're bringing Bruce back as the Batman. Talk about someone who needs a Rebirth. Probably more so for any character, or this title anyway.

Batman & Robin Eternal #'s 18-21: Good story continues, shows how they're bringing back Nightwing. I'll speak more on that later.

Deathstroke #15: Really good story here.

The Flash #49: Ditto.

Justice League #48: Double ditto. One has to wonder though, if Geoff Johns' sole purpose to bring back the Crime Syndicate was to kill them all off.

Final Thoughts: Rebirth could be good, could be bad. We'll have to see. But there are a lot of things that need a new shot in the arm, so to speak. Hopefully they keep the good & throw out the bad.

They're bringing back Nightwing. If you read the last issue, you get to see what they could be planning. DC's done it before. Marvel's done it. How about this: they just pretend his identity was never exposed in the first place. Put the genie back in the bottle & tell the fans you're doing it. And move on from there.

Speaking of identities, how about not letting everyone know who Batman is? And give Alfred back his hand.

Snyder has done some good things with the character (Court of Owls, Talons, etc.) but he's done a lot of dumb things too.

I hope the Deathstroke title continues as is, although they can re-age him if they want (that never made sense). Re-age Jim Gordon too.

Give Hal Jordan a haircut and, okay, change everything about his title. The Green Lantern titles need a Rebirth pretty bad. Hal should look like he does in every other title too. That new look is so 90's. Bad 90's. Wish Sinestro's title would continue however. After issue #12, that title has been really good.

Cyborg needs a Rebirth, if he gets a title that is.

Would like to see titles reflect each other. Justice League seems to be operating on its own. There really shouldn't be a Batman & Robin Eternal if Bruce Wayne isn't even Batman in his own title. It's like DC titles are operating on their own separate timelines too. There needs to be some sense of cohesion.

Lastly, can we get one penciller, one colorist & one inker on titles? Changing artists mid-issue is just too jarring. And a lot of the art is bad.

Old February 29th, 2016   WeirdoLegionnaire is offline   #66
WeirdoLegionnaire
Yeah, that's the ticket!

Cyborg #8: Another decent story in the beginning, but this mother ghost thing is stupid. And it felt like two different writers here. Cyborg sounded like a pleasant guy in the beginning, but when he was at STAR Labs, for whatever reason, David Walker writes him as a smug jerk. Walker has been a big disappointment on this title.

Aquaman #49: New team, feels refreshing. This was way overdue.

Batman #49: Haven't been following the title because Bruce Wayne is Batman for me, not a young mohawked Jim Gordon. I picked up this issue (and will the next) to see how they're bringing Bruce back as the Batman. Talk about someone who needs a Rebirth. Probably more so for any character, or this title anyway.
ddf
starks View Post
These were 3 of the books I picked up this week as well. Cyborg has been a huge disappointment for me, too. He's a fun character in Justice League, but in his solo title he's not really likable. And the art's good - but since it's just Cyborg and some random robot hybrid things in dessert landscapes for the most part, it's really boring. This is the last issue I'll pick up, unless the Rebirth creative team includes a new writer.

Aquaman definitely needed some new blood, too, and this issue was it. I loved the book up until the Malestrom storyline, where it felt like it lost some steam and never exactly recovered. This was a really fun issue, with a creepy looming monster thread running through it. Good stuff.

I'll disagree with you on Batman, though. I've enjoyed this run from issue 1, and the current story with Gordon as Batman is no different. He's portrayed as so different, but the whole idea that Bruce Wayne needs to be Batman (and not just that Gotham needs a Batman) is pretty cool. Looking forward to the big fight between Bruce and Mr Bloom, and what the heck happens with the seemingly cured and sane Joker.

Old February 29th, 2016   superfriend is offline   #67
superfriend
laughs at comics

Lastly, can we get one penciller, one colorist & one inker on titles? Changing artists mid-issue is just too jarring. And a lot of the art is bad.
ddf
starks View Post
this is one of my biggest knocks on DC these days. they'll sometimes have multiple artists/colorists/inkers on a single issue. it's a hot mess sometimes.

with Rebirth putting most of its eggs in the bi-weekly basket, don't know if it bodes well for something like that improving.

observe everything, admire nothing
Old February 29th, 2016   Foggy's Pal is offline   #68
Foggy's Pal

We Are Robin #9- I'm going to miss this book when Rebirth starts. I really like that the book still focuses on character each issue. The main storyline tells the story of the "new Joker wannabe" in depth, while each of our "We Are Robin" crew gets his/her pages to further develop their own stories. I really care about these characters, especially Duke and Izzy. I would like to see them make it into another book once this book ends this Spring. And man, the art is fantastic- it's so expressive and the action poses are fantastic. Don't think it would work for a lot of books, but here it is perfect.

Old March 1st, 2016   Call Me El is offline   #69
Call Me El
Geoffan

ould like to see titles reflect each other. Justice League seems to be operating on its own. There really shouldn't be a Batman & Robin Eternal if Bruce Wayne isn't even Batman in his own title. It's like DC titles are operating on their own separate timelines too. There needs to be some sense of cohesion.
ddf
starks View Post
Interesting that you make this comment since there has also been opinion that is precisely the opposite.

I would prefer that the solo books remain completely separate from the team-up or universe books, even to the extent that the other heroes do not even exist in each other's worlds.

"I know nothing stays the same
But if you're willing to play the game
It's coming around again" - Carly Simon
Old March 1st, 2016   Astro@work is offline   #70
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

Interesting that you make this comment since there has also been opinion that is precisely the opposite.

I would prefer that the solo books remain completely separate from the team-up or universe books, even to the extent that the other heroes do not even exist in each other's worlds.
ddf
Call Me El View Post
I think the solo books should have some leeway to tell stories independent of whatever the current mega-event is going on. From a continuity standpoint, this may simply mean a story may be taking place before or after said mega-event. The Justice League United title wouldn't have been permanenty ruined by Forever Evil if they had done this (they got ONE story arc in before all the main characters had to dissapear for F.E...ONE!...which ultimately became 1/2 of JLU's entire run...soooo annoying!)

Some of the most frustrating solo character arcs get ruined when they have to drop all momentum on a regularly-scheduled arc to squeeze in a crossover issue. Usually the crossover issue is weak, and the longer "trade" arc loses steam to the detriment of the title.

On the specific issue of Batman Eternal, Bruce/Batman has only been appearing in the flashback story, so it doesn't contradict anything from the current titles.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old March 23rd, 2016   starks is offline   #71
starks
Geoffan

Sinestro #21: New Leader. New Lantern team for Sector 2814. And someone holds onto a ring after the aftermath of The Paling storyline. Really good issue. I've enjoyed this title for quite some time (think it started getting really good around issue #12).

Red Hood / Arsenal #10: The boys battle HIVE, while "Duela" battles her own demons. Interesting last page.

Old March 28th, 2016   starks is offline   #72
starks
Geoffan

Legends of Tomorrow #1: I enjoyed all of the stories, looking forward to the next issue. With Rebirth, I wonder why this title wasn’t held back to join those titles. I also have to wonder why they chose these particular characters with the TV-inspired Legends of Tomorrow title. Firestorm, naturally. But why the others as opposed to say, The Atom, Hawkman/Hawkgirl, and Rip Hunter stories. Doesn’t really make much sense.

Scooby-Doo! Team-Up #15: The Scooby Gang teams up with The Flash in this issue. I really enjoy these team-ups with the DC characters, and this reminds me that I have to get those issues I missed. Love seeing the Super Friends version of Gorilla Grodd here. Love the cover too.

Green Arrow #50: A character that definitely will benefit from Rebirth. This whole werewolf thing is pretty bad.

Secret Six #12: Writer Gail Simone needs a rebirth more than anything. Weird stuff is the norm for this title, but I’m sure there are fans of a certain character out there who are happy for his “return” in this issue. Why he’d be in this group all together is something I still haven’t figured out.

Teen Titans #18: The team goes to find Cassie w/ Wonder Woman in tow. Nice issue, want to see where things end up. Why is Bunker called Bunker, anyway? I’d rename him Brix.

Superman #50: Don’t read much Superman, but I tried a number of #50 issues just to see where the titles were at. Decent enough of an issue here, Supes up against Vandal Savage, Savage wanting Superman to join him. Interesting that it looks like TV has influenced how Vandal got his immortality. I just hope Superman’s rebirth has him getting his secret identity back.

Batman #50: Another character who is in desperate need of a rebirth. It’s funny, I think Scott Snyder has added one of the best additions to the Batman lore, that being the Talons & the Court of Owls but pretty much everything else has been a misfire for me.

Mohawked Marine Jim Gordon never worked for me. Gordon as Batman made me take a hiatus from the title. Give Alfred back his hand, age Gordon so he has his mustache, glasses & trench coat and keep Bruce Wayne as Batman.

Mr. Bloom probably could’ve been a good villain – for Swamp Thing, not Batman.

Grayson #18: Thought this issue was going to deal with Court of Owls related things. Disappointed that it didn’t. Another strange title.

Batman & Robin Eternal #’s 22-25: Towards the end, this story feels extremely padded. Too much repeating of the same points. This probably could’ve wrapped up a month or two ago with a tighter overall script.

One of the positives I thought was Midnighter’s inclusion in issue #23. He should’ve been involved a while ago, as he brought an interesting dynamic to this story. This might be blasphemous, but he could make for a decent Oracle-type character (the difference is he’d go into the field as well, as he did here). Hopefully he’s a part of the upcoming Nightwing title for Rebirth.