The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Marvel Comics

Marvel Comics The House of Ideas. 'Nuff Said!

Old November 5th, 2015   starks is offline   #1
starks
Geoffan

Default Marvel: Under Review

I was thinking maybe we could have one centralized thread, talking about all of the new Marvel titles we've read in any given month. I'm usually a little behind with my reading since I get my Marvel titles on a monthly basis, so forgive me, but since there isn't a heck of a lot of discussion going on here anyway, it shouldn't be that big of a deal I don't think. So, if you want to join in with the discussion of whatever you're reading this/past month(s), please do so! Here goes:

Amazing Spider-Man #'s 1 & 2: I haven't read an ongoing Spider-Man title in over 10 years. With this Marvel reboot, I'm going to try a good number of titles, and this is one of them.

I like the new status quo for Peter Parker. Out of high school, an adult doing bigger & better things. I liked how they addressed the elephant in the room right off the bat, that being he was just a poor man's Tony Stark / Iron Man.

I like the humor in the title, the banter between characters. It looks like this title will have a good supporting cast. I don't know why everyone is there, but it looks like I'll be able to follow along easily enough.

I didn't really care for the other stories in the second half of the "Oversized & Action-Packed" first issue at first, as I don't plan on picking up any of those titles, but it was good that they tied them in somewhat with the villains involved from each, at the end to the main title.

I think this is a good start to the title and just hope that the artist has a little bit of fun with the vehicles, in that I want to see a Spider/Spider-Man motif to them, and not just red in color.

Doctor Strange #1: A different artistic style that I'm used to, but I think it goes well with the title. This was an interesting start with some intelligent writing and I'm looking forward to seeing how things go.

Old November 5th, 2015   TJLamb0518 is offline   #2
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

I am amazed at the direction AS-M is going in. Not because it's new and wonderful....like you said, we HAD Iron Man for decades. But Marvel made a huge stand about Spider-Man being relatable and not growing up and even went so far as to make a deal with the Devil to remove his marriage so he would no longer be married (because THAt'S the death of fun, apparently) without being a divorcee or a widower. But now.....our "normal guy" Peter Parker is the CEO of a multi-national conglomerate. He a mover and a web-shaker. And again....I'm VERY cool with it. Shake things up, right? But I have to wonder how Marvel's Powers That Be can justify this growing up without night terrors while they took a huge hit not too long ago with wiping out his last (and infinitely more reader-friendly) bout with being a grown-up.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old November 6th, 2015   starks is offline   #3
starks
Geoffan

It is a complete 180, isn't it? I wonder if it has anything to do with upcoming movies, that this will be his status quo in them & they want the comics to match. Time will tell on that front.

I was joking with the owner of my LCS, in that now all of those vehicles and helicopters, etc. toy-wise now make sense.

I'm looking forward to this run, and Marvel in general.

Old November 6th, 2015   superfriend is offline   #4
superfriend
laughs at comics

i wonder if it has something to do with the Miles Morales effect. sure, Miles has been around forever but with Peter and Miles sharing the same space-time (read: same continuity) now it seems like Marvel finally sees fit to let Miles carry the water for the notion that the Spider-Man concept requires perpetual youth.

it seems like it relieves some pressure for the Peter Parker character to "age", interestingly...or not (ymmv).

as someone who has had a couple of Spider-Man "phases" the character/brand isn't so beloved that i follow it blindly. at this point, the character is so well-worn with me that in order to relate i need a version that diverts from the standard Spider-Man status quo.

i was there for Superior and i'm here for this. so far, i'm enjoying it. haven't read the latest ish.

Doctor Strange is another one i'm doing but i'm not completely sold on. i've never had a full-blown DS moment so i'm reading Steve Englehart's work on the character and getting Aaron/Bachalo's just because DS just doesn't get the opportunity to make the case as lead but with the movie adding juice it seems like a good time to finally drill down into this character that i've read tons of appearances of but never really "tried out". haven't read the new issue yet.

Karnak by Ellis is a quick departure into coolness. Ellis has his reputation and it's worked for me as an outlet to get involved for a limited engagement with a level of craft that is usually worth having a look at with a concept for a character that is interesting enough for the 6 issues that Ellis usually hangs around. i've tried to triangulate with this and Ms. Marvel and get into Soule's Inhumans but the Inhumans concept just isn't as compelling for me. still, it's everywhere with the Agents of SHIELD show and stuff so it seems fine to be into the Inhumans right now. i've read the Stan&Jack FF stuff and the Jenkins/Lee stuff but the Moench run is on my radar.

picked up Vision by Tom Taylor but haven't read it yet.

in spite of wanting/needing to take a break from Bendis, i've been kinda hooked on Invincible Iron Man. i don't want to pick this up but i just do. haven't read the new ish yet.

observe everything, admire nothing
Old November 9th, 2015   starks is offline   #5
starks
Geoffan

i wonder if it has something to do with the Miles Morales effect. sure, Miles has been around forever but with Peter and Miles sharing the same space-time (read: same continuity) now it seems like Marvel finally sees fit to let Miles carry the water for the notion that the Spider-Man concept requires perpetual youth.

it seems like it relieves some pressure for the Peter Parker character to "age", interestingly...or not (ymmv).

as someone who has had a couple of Spider-Man "phases" the character/brand isn't so beloved that i follow it blindly. at this point, the character is so well-worn with me that in order to relate i need a version that diverts from the standard Spider-Man status quo.

i was there for Superior and i'm here for this. so far, i'm enjoying it. haven't read the latest ish.
ddf
superfriend View Post
That's a really good point.

Old December 11th, 2015   starks is offline   #6
starks
Geoffan

The Amazing Spider-Man #3: J. Jonah Jameson, a reporter for a news channel? Peter Parker, owner of the Baxter Building? A fight with The Human Torch in said building? Nick Fury, in what looks like a Captain America-inspired uniform? Harry Osborn working for Peter?

Just loving a lot of the things going in this title. It's been really fun & I can't wait until what comes down the pike.

Carnage #'s 1-2: Marvel & writer Gerry Conway are going for horror here, and who better than Cletus Kasady, aka Carnage? Artist Mike Perkins brings the right mood to the title. These two issues were a great start. And the cover for the first issue, done by Mike Del Mundo, is amazing. If there was an award for best cover art for a particular issue, this would definitely warrant a nomination. The story itself is gripping and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention how much I liked seeing characters Eddie Brock & John Jameson involved here.

Venom: Space Knight #1: Really wasn't sure what to expect. Thought the story was rather bland. Thought visually Flash Thompson's Venom was supposed to be more military-looking, so I don't know if things changed, or it was just artist's Ariel Olivetti's style. I know he likes to do bulky nowadays, so I'm leaning towards the latter. Nothing worked for me in this issue. I'll be dropping the title.

Illuminati #1: Got it because I'm a Red Hood fan, but this title is too soap opera-ish for me. Don't care for the art style. Dropping this title too.

Drax #1: I got this because of CM Punk. Go ahead, call me a wrestling mark, I can take it. Being partnered with Cullen Bunn, who's doing good things with Sinestro over at DC, I figured this might be something worth checking out. Honestly, it was kind of "meh" for me. Nothing wowed me. Nothing makes me want to get the next issue, no real hook. Doubt that I'll continue.

The Vision #1: This might be the best new title on the stands right now. The writing is great, albeit a little creepy, and the art is very good. If you haven't already picked this up, do yourself a favor & get it.

Hercules #1: I thought the issue started off really well, kind of went scattershot during the fight with the demon, but then ended really well. I think this title is a keeper & will be interested to see where things go.

Deadpool #'s 1-2: Haven't read a Deadpool title in a while. Don't know how things got the way they did, but things seem interesting enough.

Black Knight #1: Very interesting title, well written. Don't know how to view the Knight--good, bad, maybe somewhere in between?

So far with this reboot (for the Marvel Universe as a whole), I just wish DC would show this amount of diversity in the types of stories they put forth. Marvel is showing they have characters that can be horror, mystical, King Arthur-ish, and plenty of super heroes to boot. DC has these types of characters too, but wish they'd flesh them out more.

Doctor Strange #2: Good title, strange at times--okay, a lot. I see a parallel to the Justice League Dark here, with the houses being major parts of their respective stories.

Jason Aaron adds humor in the issue, but I think some editing could make parts of that humor & dialogue stronger. Interested to see how things progress.

While reading this issue and Black Knight before it -- and not knowing anything about Weird World -- I had to wonder if it could be a doorway/room at Strange's home. Thoughts?

Old January 8th, 2016   superfriend is offline   #7
superfriend
laughs at comics

i've read every ANAD #1 thus far...

the hits for me are: All-New Wolverine, Amazing Spider-Man, Karnak, Totally Awesome Hulk and Mighty Thor.

on the fence: Daredevil, Dr. Strange, The Vision

dropped: Invincible Iron Man

still looking forward to: Black Panther, Moon Knight

observe everything, admire nothing
Old January 11th, 2016   starks is offline   #8
starks
Geoffan

With the holidays & a huge pile of comics, I've been really behind. But here goes:

Totally Awesome Hulk #1: I don't know why Amadeus Cho has the powers of The Hulk, but like the title says, he's totally awesome at it. Enjoyed this first issue a great deal. Looking forward to more. Thought the writing & art were great, liked the humor.

Really wouldn't mind getting either a print of or a poster made of the second page.

Invincible Iron Man #4: I decided to start getting this title with this issue because of the inclusion of Mary Jane Watson & I was interested to see what kind of dynamic she'd bring to Tony Stark's world. I wasn't lost at all with the issue, not reading the previous three, so kudos to the creative team. I enjoyed the story & will continue.

Patsy Walker, a.k.a. Hellcat! #1: I got this title because I've been reading up on Marvel history & saw how this characters was first introduced & then used/turned into a superhero, so I wanted to see how this was.

The story itself was good, but the art style isn't my favorite. I might need to try it out for a few more issues to let it grow on me, but I'm leaning to dropping it. Like I said, will give it a few more to hook me.

Spidey #1: Sure, we've seen the story before, but it's still fun. Good story, good art. Another Spider-Man title added to the list.

Scarlet Witch #1: The first issue didn't wow me. Don't care for the art style. Will give it a few more issues. I like the Scarlet Witch & Agatha dynamic, even if I don't know who Agatha is (will need to do some research I guess).

Daredevil #'s 1 & 2: Not bad of a start. Don't know why Murdock has a sidekick, and if he even needs one. Figuring the guy will be offed somewhere down the line.

Amazing Spider-Man #'s 4 & 5: This has become my favorite title. I just love the new status quo for Parker, and what looks like an interesting relationship (budding romance?) with Mockingbird.

I'm loving this title so much I actually wrote to the Marvel offices about it.

The Vision #2: Like the story & art. Really creepy--but good.

Hercules #2: Solid storytelling, good art. Liking this title quite a bit.

Doctor Strange #3: Another title I'm unsure of. I like the writing for the most part. The art is okay, just not blown away by it. And yes, I know there's "Strange" in the title, but I just don't like seeing strange-looking / grotesque creatures or characters in the books that I read in general, so maybe that's one of the reasons I'm a bit withdrawn from this title (probably the same for Scarlet Witch too).

Black Knight #2: I'm digging this title. Very good writing. One nitpick, Dane Whitman at different times reminds me too much of Gambit (I have the same problem with Blindspot in the Daredevil title too).

Deadpool #'s 3 & 4: I'm a BIG Deadpool fan, but I'm on the fence about this title. Not exactly hooking me in. Will give it a few more issues.

Old January 11th, 2016   starks is offline   #9
starks
Geoffan

i've read every ANAD #1 thus far...

the hits for me are: All-New Wolverine, Amazing Spider-Man, Karnak, Totally Awesome Hulk and Mighty Thor.

on the fence: Daredevil, Dr. Strange, The Vision

dropped: Invincible Iron Man

still looking forward to: Black Panther, Moon Knight
ddf
superfriend View Post
Yep, loving Amazing Spider-Man & Totally Awesome Hulk. Love The Vision too.

I'm on the fence with Daredevil & Dr. Strange too.

Can't wait for Black Panther & Moon Knight. Hope they're good!

Old February 4th, 2016   starks is offline   #10
starks
Geoffan

wrote a whole thing here, lost it. going to just comment in individual threads. mods can delete this thread.