The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old February 6th, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #1
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

Default Dmz

I read the first trade earlier this year. Liked it. Plan on reading more of it via Comixology.

Thoughts? Feeling?

Old February 6th, 2014   Mr. Wrong is offline   #2
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

I read the first trade earlier this year. Liked it. Plan on reading more of it via Comixology.

Thoughts? Feeling?
ddf
manwithnoname View Post
I read the entire series in trade. I really liked it a lot. It might have gone on a bit longer than it needed to, as it started to feel a bit stretched-thin by the end, but this was the series that made me a fan of Brain Wood's writing (I haven't read any of his Marvel or DC work, though).

What impressed me a lot was how he managed to write as story that could have so very easily become a soapbox for preachy partisan politics and mostly avoided doing so. In the fractured remnants of the USA featured in DMZ, contemporary political and social issues only work on such a macro-level that most of the topics of shouting-matches between today's talking heads and pols are irrelevant in its context.

The first trade had a blurb or introduction about how DMZ "shone a cracked mirror on G.W. Bush's post-9/11 America" or some such blather, and while I suppose you could read it that way if you wanted to, it certainly didn't bludgeon me with a one-sided repudiation of any individual politician or political party. And it was as often optimistic about the human and/or American spirit as it was pessimistic, in my opinion.

The world-building in DMZ was as well-thought-out and detailed as some of the best fantasy fiction I've read. (Plus, it has maps! )

I loved the artwork, too. At times it reminded me of Giffen's Ambush Bug-era art, though with lighter lines and inking.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old February 6th, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #3
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

I LOVED his Northlanders. I like his Conan work and his creator-owned series the Massive.

I haven't read his Marvel work. I don't plan on reading it unless it's available on Marvel Unlimited. My MU subscription ends in March and I'm not renewing as I'm tired of reading superheroes. Only read 2 Marvel titles as it is.

Old February 6th, 2014   SmilingKnight is offline   #4
SmilingKnight
Advanced Geoffan

He used to write Generation X

"Things won by force must always be maintained and defended by force" Commander Hawkins, Voltron
Old February 6th, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #5
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

He used to write Generation X
ddf
SmilingKnight View Post
not interested in Generation X or his Marvel work.

Old February 6th, 2014   Matches is offline   #6
Matches
stepping aside

DMZ is probably my favorite Wood work other than the Couriers books. I was not a huge fan of the ending but I thought the first 65+ issues were pretty excellent. Burchielli's art was a huge part of the draw, really enjoy his cramped style.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old February 7th, 2014   SmilingKnight is offline   #7
SmilingKnight
Advanced Geoffan

Couscous express / couriers is a crazy action movie that never slows down and you can practically heat the wilhelm screams coming off the page while DMZ is the tense wartime drama where you care about every character even when they keep being jerks.

"Things won by force must always be maintained and defended by force" Commander Hawkins, Voltron