The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old July 6th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #1
Amentep

Default Doctor Fate

So I've been one of the few people who was generally positive toward Paul Levitz return-to-comics comic work.

But IMO the first issue of this was very weak.

We learn very little about Khalid (other than he's a chosen one); what little mythology there is is vague (and in some points contrary to actual Egyptian attitudes with no explanation).

Khalid is supposed to be going to medical school (Doctor Fate, get it?) but is drawn like a teenager. His relationships are ill defined and there is a looming threat that its hard to care about as the reader isn't, IMO, given a reason to care about the characters involved.

While I like Doctor Fate in general, taking the reluctant-to-adopt-his/her-powers character approach is a very dicey gamble. There's a reason people got tired of the bumbling character in GREATEST AMERICAN HERO, and I fear that here the bumbling character is designed to handwave the "problem" many people have with magic characters ("why don't they just wiggle their fingers and fix everything?") in a way that doesn't address the real underlying problem (needing a cosmology and rule system that easy and clear to understand) only delays the inevitable question (or forces the character to be forever bumbling ala GAH).

I don't see any reason given in this comic to pick up a second.

Old July 6th, 2015   TJLamb0518 is offline   #2
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

I thought Dr. Fate was in Earth-2....and that Earth-2 was not using Earth-1 characters.....sounds very confusing.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old July 6th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #3
Amentep

I got no clue what earth its in, not really an issue for me, personally, as I don't know what earth half of what DC is shipping is on.

Old July 13th, 2015   mego joe is offline   #4
mego joe
Geoffan

I enjoyed the first issue enough to stick around.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old July 13th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #5
Amentep

I'll be interested to read what you think of future issues; maybe if I like what I hear I'll jump back on.

Old July 13th, 2015   mego joe is offline   #6
mego joe
Geoffan

I'll be interested to read what you think of future issues; maybe if I like what I hear I'll jump back on.
ddf
Amentep View Post
I'll make sure I post my thoughts here.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old July 13th, 2015   superfriend is offline   #7
superfriend
laughs at comics

one of the few DCYou titles i tried (because of Levitz) but it just didn't really work for me.

not coming back.

observe everything, admire nothing
Old July 18th, 2015   RoseWilson is offline   #8
RoseWilson
Advanced Geoffan

I love magic. It's one of my favorite genres. Was happy to see this and excited that over at Marvel Strange is getting his own book soon. Mixed feelings on this so far. There's some ideas I like but as pointed out the reluctant hero thing is a bit overdone. I mean I'm pretty sure I'd be stoked if someone wanted to hand over the helm of Nabu to me lol.

Old July 21st, 2015   Doctor Kent Nelson is offline   #9
Doctor Kent Nelson
Geoffan

Okay as a huge Golden Age Doctor Fate... it's not bad but I really miss Kent and Inza Nelson but heaven forbid for DC successfully implement a third tier character back in the foray like Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Hal Jordan, Barry Allen...

They could have revamped Kent and Inza into two detectives who investigate the occult and other supernatural occurrences with Dr. Fate (aka Nabu), a slightly mad god who wants to remain in control and as the Doctor all time.
Last edited by Doctor Kent Nelson; July 21st, 2015 at 05:08 AM.

Eric Strauss? Linda Strauss? Jared Stevens? Hector Hall? It's just not the same...Bring back KENT & INZA NELSON (Justice League animated style)
Old July 24th, 2015   mmk123 is offline   #10
mmk123
Geoffan

I am wondering is there still an Earth 2 Dr Fate. I would have been sold on this book if the adventures would have been about him.

Old August 18th, 2015   mego joe is offline   #11
mego joe
Geoffan

ddf
Amentep View Post
http://dccomicsnews.com/2015/07/18/r...doctor-fate-2/

my review over at DC Comics News

Old August 19th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #12
Amentep

Nice review; still not sold I should pick it back up but I'll see if the next couple of issues still work and maybe consider it.

Old August 24th, 2015   mego joe is offline   #13
mego joe
Geoffan

Dr Fate #3

Thought the action really amped up in this issue and the concept sort of came together a little tighter. Feel like each issue gets better. It's certainly feels like it's paced like a movie this first arc. Each issue stands on its own as well. The Rocketeer reference was very welcome.

Old August 26th, 2015   superfriend is offline   #14
superfriend
laughs at comics

i'd say if you're inclined to investigate this title further then continue with it as it doesn't seem like this title will see all that many issues actually produced...

06/2015: Doctor Fate #1 -- 39,558
07/2015: Doctor Fate #2 -- 22,967

the good news i think is there're a lot of titles doing a lot worse:

07/2015: Secret Six #4 -- 22,813
07/2015: Gotham Academy #8 -- 22,359
07/2015: Catwoman #42 -- 21,983
07/2015: Justice League 3K1 #2 -- 21,301
07/2015: Bizarro #2 of 6 -- 21,070
07/2015: Midnighter #2 -- 19,812
07/2015: Bat-Mite #2 of 6 -- 18,628
07/2015: Gotham by Midnight #7 -- 18,427
07/2015: Doomed #2 -- 17,630
07/2015: Omega Men #2 -- 17,093
07/2015: A-S Section 8 #2 of 6 -- 16,695
07/2015: Prez #2 of 6 -- 13,178
07/2015: Lobo #8 -- 12,459
Last edited by superfriend; August 26th, 2015 at 07:27 PM.

observe everything, admire nothing
Old August 27th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #15
Amentep

Why must all the DC titles I read sell badly?

Prez, Gotham by Midnight, Omega Men, and Gotham Academy...

Bleeding Cool is rumoring a move by DC to start ending a lot of the lower end titles, so I'm thinking my DC reading list (that had finally started to expand after years of contracting) is going to shrink again.

Old August 27th, 2015   mego joe is offline   #16
mego joe
Geoffan

Why must all the DC titles I read sell badly?

Prez, Gotham by Midnight, Omega Men, and Gotham Academy...

Bleeding Cool is rumoring a move by DC to start ending a lot of the lower end titles, so I'm thinking my DC reading list (that had finally started to expand after years of contracting) is going to shrink again.
ddf
Amentep View Post
same boat