The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old September 8th, 2010   oddballuk is offline   #1
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

Default Red Robin #16 Discussion Thread (with Preview)

The 'Hit List' arc continues on September 9th as Tim discovers Ulysses Armstrong is back in Gotham under the guise of Anarky and has a hit list of his own.

Preview at The Source: http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2010/09...narky-strikes/

Looks pretty good and it's nice to see...

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
...Lonnie isn't out for the count either.

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old September 9th, 2010   cassius335 is offline   #2
cassius335

The 'Hit List' arc continues on September 9th as Tim discovers Ulysses Armstrong is back in Gotham under the guise of Anarky and has a hit list of his own.

Preview at The Source: http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2010/09...narky-strikes/

Looks pretty good and it's nice to see...

...Lonnie isn't out for the count either.

ddf
oddballuk View Post
Define "isn't out for the count". If Lonnie's back on his feet, I might be able to start getting Red Robin...

Old September 9th, 2010   michealdark is offline   #3
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

I hope Lonnie's on his feet. It's so rare that we see politically themed characters, and Lonnie's Anarky was so good for that. And I get the plot of him trying to teach Ulysses what anarchy really means, but he's too dense/too obsessed with payback at Tim to get it

http://www.fanfiction.net/~mikedark2-My FF.net account,w/my TT fanfics
http://www.myspace.com/mymindseye-My music project's page.

RIP Tara
Old September 9th, 2010   stephbarton v.2 is offline   #4
stephbarton v.2
You can't see me...

well it's not like Lonnie was hanging out with the General on his own free will...

Really enjoyed this issue. Marcus To's art continues to impress. Also like

Tim's realization that he can't control everything. I hope we see more of Tim unclenching as time goes on. He is probably more like Bruce intellectually than any of the other Bat-family but he definitely is not like modern Bruce in terms of obsession. So it's good to see his light/optimistic side starting to come through.

Hoping that the Tam romance doesn't materialize, I honestly like her more as a friend who knows the secret rather than the love interest who will disappear with the next creative team.

Originally stephbarton (hence the v.2)
Old September 10th, 2010   oddballuk is offline   #5
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

I thought this was a cool issue and the nature of Ulysses' hit list was a nice touch.

I think the whole development of Ulysses with him taking and subverting Lonnie's identity has been thoroughly interesting though I'm still encouraged to see that it may not last for much longer.

Though when Ulysses is stopped and the Anarky mantle reclaimed, I expect Ulysses will look for another identity to use.

Define "isn't out for the count". If Lonnie's back on his feet, I might be able to start getting Red Robin...

ddf
cassius335 View Post
He's actively assisting Tim in stopping Ulysses despite the condition he has been placed in which is more than most can accomplish and by issue's end he is freed from Ulysses and placed under medical care with Dr. Thompkins who claims that his condition can be treated.

I expect we can see Lonnie recovering and reclaiming his mantle soon.

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old September 10th, 2010   cassius335 is offline   #6
cassius335

He's actively assisting Tim in stopping Ulysses despite the condition he has been placed in which is more than most can accomplish and by issue's end he is freed from Ulysses and placed under medical care with Dr. Thompkins who claims that his condition can be treated.

I expect we can see Lonnie recovering and reclaiming his mantle soon.

ddf
oddballuk View Post
Awesome. Looks like I've got some catching up to do.

Old September 12th, 2010   DannyDC is offline   #7
DannyDC
Geoffan

Awesome! Favorite book every month!

Old September 13th, 2010   Patrick Gerard is offline   #8
Patrick Gerard
Geoffan

I still want to see an Anarky/Stargirl showdown.

Old September 14th, 2010   Jake1823 is offline   #9
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

Solid stuff. I don't have much of a connection with Anarky as the rest of you, so this doesn't resonate as much. But I do think that Tim "moving forward" is a good thing.

I wonder where his new base will be?

Also, Marcus To's quality of art should be the standard for the B- and C-level books. Not to say that better art shouldn't be used, but that this quality should, at the very least, be the bare minimum for a book like this. It makes the story so much better.

Where is everybody?
Old September 14th, 2010   oddballuk is offline   #10
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

Solid stuff. I don't have much of a connection with Anarky as the rest of you, so this doesn't resonate as much. But I do think that Tim "moving forward" is a good thing.

I wonder where his new base will be?

Also, Marcus To's quality of art should be the standard for the B- and C-level books. Not to say that better art shouldn't be used, but that this quality should, at the very least, be the bare minimum for a book like this. It makes the story so much better.
ddf
Jake1823 View Post
I certainly recommend reading some of the old Anarky stories.

Ah, the good old days when Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle collaborated on Bat-books.

- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old September 14th, 2010   Human Bong is offline   #11
Human Bong
Pay Attention 2 Me

Ah, the good old days when Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle collaborated on Bat-books.
ddf
oddballuk View Post
I read an interview with Grant in my new favorite magazine Back Issue. He talks about Anarky at length, and one of his unrealized plans was for Anarky to become a new Robin. I'm glad we got Tim, but I think that was a big reason the character still has such a fan following because Grant worked so hard at building the character up, as opposed to just being a villain (anti-hero) of the week.

I love Red Robin the comic. I never would have expected it, but Yost and Fabian have just kicked butt. I honestly want to see Fabian become the new 'Chuck Dixon' of the batbooks, he practically already is this month, but I would honestly be happy to see Fabian writing Red Robin, a Batbook, and a Damian Robin series. Or better yet, a Robin generation series spotlighting Dick, Tim, and Damian, with Jason popping his head in to be a douche and Steph swinging by to say hi.
Last edited by Human Bong; September 14th, 2010 at 03:33 PM.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Old September 14th, 2010   michealdark is offline   #12
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

And Steph.

Maybe have a crossover with Millerworld and bring in Carrie too.

RIP Tara
Old September 14th, 2010   Human Bong is offline   #13
Human Bong
Pay Attention 2 Me

And Steph.

Maybe have a crossover with Millerworld and bring in Carrie too.
ddf
michealdark View Post
I have no idea what you mean...

...It's not like you made me realize I accidently said Cassie instead of Steph, edited my post, and pretended like I never made a mistake...That would be crazy.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Old September 14th, 2010   michealdark is offline   #14
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

Lol!

having Carrie pop up though would really be something.

RIP Tara
Old September 14th, 2010   Human Bong is offline   #15
Human Bong
Pay Attention 2 Me

Lol!

having Carrie pop up though would really be something.
ddf
michealdark View Post
Fine, but then Earth 2 Dick Grayson also gets to show up. But no Robin 3000, no exceptions. But I think Batman Jones should be fit in somewhere.

Old September 22nd, 2010   Dave Williams is offline   #16
Dave Williams
a.k.a Mysterio's Helmet

ddf
oddballuk View Post
Here here!

I miss their respective voices terribly.

OTOH, if Fabian gave Lonnie his way back in....then I'm going to have to pick this title up! It was the one sticking point from before the "break" that got me the wrong way...... Anarky is Lonnie Machin.

Fabian went on record saying that he was trying to give Lonnie a new identity as "Moneyspider" (an alias that Anarky used ...back in 'Tec) but I thought it was a horrible angle. They'd just lose Lonnie again. He's a much better character as the guy that you don't know which way he's going to go. He's there to help......but how much and will it serve his agenda?

Anyway, cheers! I'm on board for Red Robin!

Dude: Kiefer, You're a Pirate.

Kiefer: Well that explains everything!