The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old February 12th, 2005   starmondo is offline   #1
starmondo
Geoffan

JSA Game – ANYONE CAN JOIN, ANYTIME.

This is meant to be no-stress and fun. Here’s the basics…

It starts with the first Chapter, read that, then post your response within a week. Normally a Chapter is posted on SUNDAY, and you have until the next Saturday to post your move. This is to give 9-5’ers a day to relax and catch up. Then I’ll blend all the posts together, add some twists and post the next Chapter on SUNDAY.

Things to keep in mind as you read and write…

1) No power-playing! Leave room for others to move and contribute. Normally this is not a problem.
2) Contact each other. Plan. Post ideas and thoughts on the thread and co-ordinate your moves. You don’t have to do this, but the option is there, and it’s fun.
3) Mark your move “POST” so I know it’s a move in the game, not chatter. Chatter’s fine, this just helps me keep things straight.
4) CHALLENGE yourself! Don’t just deal with what I give you, add on, make it difficult.
5) Move “POST”s should be no longer than two or three paragraphs, NOT including any dialogue. Dialogue is eoncouraged.

Also…
1) Any complaints or concerns regarding the way the game is played, or other players should be sent directly to me, NOT posted on the thread.
2) Any questions on what to do, or what direction to go can be posted on the thread, or sent to me directly. If you don’t understand, others don’t either. I’m not always clear, and I try to leave things open to give you lots of room to play.
3) Please let me know if you’ll be gone for a while, or are dropping out completely. Again, this makes it easier on me.

Finally…The list of players so far…

Zatarra 2000 — Red Bee
JSAJim — Golden Guardian
Lady Obie *— Hawkgirl
A Baboon In A Speedo — Johnny Thunder
Majflash — the Flash
Captrose — Iron Munroe
Shazam 69 — Captain Marvel
Power Guy — Wonder Woman
Jade Knight — Dr. Mid-Nite, and Hootie!
Kid Lantern — Hourman
Novus — Hawkman
Starmondo — Spy Smasher (think of the Kingdom Come look)

ipod = Mother Box
Old February 12th, 2005   starmondo is offline   #2
starmondo
Geoffan

JSA Opposite of Justice Chapter 1

Summer in New York City. The man on the street tightens his belt every day as the war demands more of everything. Heroes come from every corner of America, reporting for duty and heading to the front. Heroes go to work in factories and offices. Heroes work in their gardens and buy war bonds. *Heroes wish they could do more.

In a brownstone in Manhattan, some heroes wear masks to do more. The Pacific and European fronts are forbidden to them by the power of a mystic relic and a madman’s will. Hitler and his Spear of Destiny. Robbed of the chance to fight and die with their fellow Americans in the trenches, they fight on the homefront. *Sabotures, traitors, and worse are their enemy.

They come together as the Justice Society of America, and at times as the All Star Squadron. Today the JSA have gathered to coordinate their activites in response to the latest intelligence reports sent to them by the OSS. Hawkman, Hawkgirl, Johnny Thunder, the Flash, Wonder Woman, Dr. Mid-Nite and Hourman drink coffee and pour through the reports. Johnny fiddles with the radio in the corner, giving a running commentary on today’s news. Hawkman would growl at him to turn it off, but then Johnny really starts talking.

Hawkgirl steps away from the great round table to stretch and rest her eyes. Her red hair a crown of flame set a-spark by the sunlight pouring through the window. Hawkman, Carter looks up at the woman he loves and relives a moment of his life he’s relived a thousand times before. The only moment he loves reliving. The moment he falls in love with her. The sunlight dims, the flame of her hair falters, and he hears Johnny say, “Hey guys, I think the meetings over.”

Hawkman and the others go over to the window Johnny’s at. Dr. Mid-Nite is the first to speak, “Good God, I can barely make out the skyline!” Half of Manhattan has been covered in a dome of complete darkness. The JSA moves out.

Arriving at the shadow-line, they find a group of familiar faces. The Red Bee, Golden Guardian, Iron Munroe, Captain Marvel, and someone less familiar. The man is wearing military commando gear under a trench coat. His face is hidden by some kind of modified gas mask, the kind that would be worn by fighter pilots years from now., Hourman spots the bulges of guns under his jacket. Marvel start talking,

“Earlier today in Fawcett City a similar dome appeared. These fellows were in the area and pitched in to help me investigate. Inside the dome we found, well nothing at first. Then he found us.” Captain Marvel points to the man in the gas mask, he steps forward, and offers his hand to Hawkman, “I’m an agent for the OSS, code named Spy Smasher.” Marvel continues, “Yeah, Iron Munroe is an agent to. Sounds pretty exciting to me. Anyway we both knew Smasher here, so we joined forces to investigate…”

Spy Smasher interrupts, “We’ve got to get moving here Marvel. We knew the JSA would show up once this hit Manhattan. We don’t know who’s behind this, but we do know what’s happening to the people trapped inside that dome. They’re being used in some kind of Nazi experiment. They’re dying right now, so let’s stop wasting time and get in there. “ With that he walks into the black dome.

The others follow and find their nerves buzzing as they enter the blackness. After a moment their eyes adjust, and they find themselves in an empty city, the blackness reducing all light. A city block is the limit of vision for everyone except Hawkman and Hawkgirl, who can see three, and Dr. Mid-Nite who can see five or six blocks up. Mid-Nite warns Flash, “You may want to watch your speed ere, you could end up splattered in no time, Jay.”

Mid-Nite spots Spy Smasher signaling them several blocks ahead. The quietly advance. Reaching him, they look across the street to where he’s pointing. A park, with a long line of people slowly snake into the trees. *Somewhere in the park, periodic bursts of light momentarily snap at the darkness. Spy Smasher says, “It’s the same as in Fawcett, but we were too late there. We’ve got to get in there and…” He whirls around, a service automatic in each hand, ready to fire. His shoulders drop, and he lowers his gun. “Cat.” The cat jumps into Johnny’s arms.

They move into the park, heading for the ed of the line of civilians. They halt in the trees, horrified by what they see. The New Yorkers are steadily walking into a wide black portal, like a movie screen painted black. As each one enters, the screen flares to life, creating the light they’d seen. Nearby, on a great black throne, is a shadowy, shadowy man. The Shade. A small bald man stands beside him. Brainwave. The darkness here seems to roll and coil like a million snakes. The cat in Johnny’s arms lets out a loud meow. Too loud.

The Shade looks lazily into the trees, directly at the heroes, “We’ve been waiting.” The ground comes alive with shadow snakes, snapping and coiling around the heroes. Johnny lets out a yelp. Hourman looks and sees Johnny under attack, by a tiger, colored just like the cat he’d been carrying. Marvel heads right toward the Shade, and is hit by Brainwave, an agonizing storm of mental fire.

More people walk into the portal. There are thousands in line. Spy Smasher *shouts, “We’ve got to help the civilians.”

SUMMARY.

Captain Marvel- Under mental attack, no longer in the trees.
Johnny Thunder- *Under attack by a man-killing tiger.
All others- Under attack by snake-like creature composed of the Shade’s shadow substance.

REMEMBER! Your vision only extends about one city block, excepting Hawkman, Hawkgirl and Mid-Nite, Mid-Nite having the best vision in the murk. But it’s not natural darkness, remember that.

ipod = Mother Box
Old February 12th, 2005   a baboon in a speedo is offline   #3
a baboon in a speedo
Neo Geoffan

"Ummm . . . Nice Kitty! Gosh *I hope you're not hungry!" Johnny said as he faced down the ferocious feline that moments ago had been nothing but a harmless alley cat.
* The cat growls at Johnny and he breaks out in the cold sweat of fear. "Cei- . . ."
*"Ah, ah, ah." The Shade says, "We wouldn't want any outside intereference." and a tendril of darkness erupts from the ground and forces itself down Johnny's throat keeping him from completing the phrase that would summon his best buddy, The Thunderbolt.
*Horrified at not being able to speak Johnny stumbles backwards and falls flat on his back. This time his clutziness saves his life, as the tiger flies over his head missing completely its pounce attack. Johnny picks himself up and scrambles up the nearest tree. He climbs out onto a high branch and sees the tiger below him. Johnny lets out a muffled sigh of relief, right as the branch he's standing on starts to crack and give way

Old February 12th, 2005   Power Guy is offline   #4
Power Guy
persona non grata

Hippolyta is the first to react. She draws her sword and slashes the shadow-snakes that are advancing towards her saying "Foul creatures! Your stink is similar to Hades himself!" Once she clears a path, she runs over to Johnny Thunder and says "Fear not Johnny, I have slain more vicious beasts in my years". She then turns to the tiger and yells "Come beast - my sword has gone too long without the stain of blood on it!" as she raises her sword and shield.

Old February 12th, 2005   Captrose is offline   #5
Captrose
Advanced Geoffan

Seeing Hyppolyta has helped Johnny, Iron Munroe proceeds to turn around and grab a now abandoned newsstand. *Currently ignoring the Shade snakes, he yells, "Head up Brainwave!" and tosses the stand in the direction of said villain attacking Captain Marvel. * Aiming more to distract him and end his attack on the Captain. *He then turns his attention towards the snakes attacking him and his teammates.

Old February 12th, 2005   Jim Beard is offline   #6
Jim Beard
Batman '66 Lives!

Jim Harper, the Golden Guardian of Suicide Slum, crouches into a defensive stance, fending off a shadow-creature attack. One, two, three, he shrugs them off, stands, draws a line of sight to the Shade...

...and mighty muscles beneath his bright gold-and-blue costume tense and release as the Guardian throws his shield. It hurtles towards the Shade's head...

Jim

Old February 12th, 2005   Novus is offline   #7
Novus

Hawkman beats back shadow snakes and barks orders to his teammates.

"Flash! Take Brainwave down! Now!"

"Hippolyta, help Johnny, we need the Thunderbolt!"

"Hawkgirl, to the air with me!"

Immediately the Hawks free themselves from the shadow creatures and take to the air, with mace and spear in hand. Seeing that Guardian has gained Shade's attention, Carter plans to fly over and get behind Shade. All it takes is one look to his mate to communicate the idea and with graceful form that comes with years of practice and familiarity the Hawks swoop down to their prey...

Novus

comic, movie, and music reviews and talk: www.herorealm.com
Old February 12th, 2005   The Jade Knight is offline   #8
The Jade Knight
persona non grata

Dr. Mid-Nite stalked through the shadows. Finding himself behind the Shade's line of vision, he dived for the cane, only for a flock of crows to attack him. He batted at the birds, calling out. "Hootie! Help me!" The owl beautifully streaked through the air, scaring off the shadow crows.

"Shade, you underestimate me." Dr. Mid-Nite uttered at the villain. Shade shook his head. "I didn't underestimate you. You're pretty much useless in this battle, save for your ability to see everything. No, I underestimated your infernal owl." Mid-Nite laughed. "Well you're about to underestimate him again."

The Shade looked around and saw that Hootie and nearly wrestled the grip of his cane away from him as he was distracted by Mid-Nite. Mid-Nite launched a punch at the distracted Shade and made his mark before being carried into the air by shadow vultures...

Old February 12th, 2005   The Kid Lantern is offline   #9
The Kid Lantern
They call me Mason....

----POST----

Popping another Miraclo pill of power, the Man of the Hour joins the battle alongside the wonderful woman. As the branch Johnny continues to stay attached to begins cracking more and more, Rex begins to plan defence ahead of his time...

"JOHNNY! Our Amazon compatriot can only hold this mystical beast at bay for so long. When that branch gives way, you've got to make it out of here!"

As Johnny continues to attempt at gagging himself to remove the shadowy throat tendril, the branch then breaks completely and he begins to run towards a nearby alley. Hourman and the Amazon continue to try and wrestle the monsterous cat creature into submission, as the best claws at Rex tearing at his left arm.

"Why do we always have to do this the hard way? Hippolyta we should.... AAAAAAAAAAH"

The sixty-minute man falls to his knees as Wonder Woman continues to shield herself and her fellow JSA'er. As Rex holds his head in pain, it appears Brainwave is making another mental attack towards the heroes. Will the hero be turned against his team-mates in battle, or will he overcome the cranium of one of the most powerful minds in the world? Tune in next time for....

"A Penny for Your Mind?" or "A Dollar for Your Miraclo!"

-------------------------------------------------------

Chatter--- I really hope folks like the nod to old school tv shows like Batman and Rocky & Bullwinkle. I really like the set-up for the story and can't wait to see where it goes....

~KL~

I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world....
Old February 12th, 2005   starmondo is offline   #10
starmondo
Geoffan

CHATTER- Good stuff so far folks! It looks like I can leave the Chapter titles to Kid Lantern. Please keep in mind the "POST" and "CHATTER" headings, or subheadings.

Also, I may post a move as Spy Smasher, just as a way of stirring the pot. Or to clearify things, or add a twist. Just so you know.

ipod = Mother Box
Old February 12th, 2005   shazam69 is offline   #11
shazam69
Neo Geoffan

"I can't think straight. I can't use the wisdom." "AAAGGHHHHH Get out of my head!!!" marvel staggers towards Brainwave, but his since of direction is off and he stumbles into the black portal. He reaches out to grab something to keep him from going into the portal, but it's too late. He's fallen in and dragged with him whatever it was the he grabbed.

BBBOOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!!
Old February 13th, 2005   majflash is offline   #12
majflash
Spread it on!

"Damn this darkness. *How can I use my speed if I cant see where I'm going?" *Jay Garrick cursed as he tried to help his teammates. *

"Flash! Take Brainwave down! Now!" HAWKMAN yelled to Jay.

Jay saw BRAINWAVE and made his way towards him. *FLASH was able to use short bursts of speed in order to evade the attacks from THE SHADE. *Jay was nearly on him when something clamped down on his leg like a vice grip and started pulling him back. *With only seconds to react Jay pulled out a small metallic lightning bolt from his pocket and launched it at BRAINWAVE. *

"I hope thats enough to give my friends the advantage." Jay thought as he looked at his leg to see what had trapped him. *It was CAPTAIN MARVEL, and they both went into the portal together.

Go Bears!
Old February 13th, 2005   starmondo is offline   #13
starmondo
Geoffan

POST- as Spy Smasher

Marvel and Flash are gone. Spy Smasher breaks into a broken field run, guns blazing. Shadow creatures don't like hot lead or muzzle flashes. He heads for the portal.

Reaching the portal he heads to the front of the line of people walking in. Stepping up to a man about to step in, Spy Smasher clocks him with a hard right hook. The man goes down. Spy Smasher holsters his guns and decks the next guy in line. And the next...and the next...

They try to crawl in. He starts kicking them aside. They're pushing harder to get past him, but they're still dazed or hypnotised or something.

"I need help here! But DON"T go in the portal!"

ipod = Mother Box
Old February 13th, 2005   The Jade Knight is offline   #14
The Jade Knight
persona non grata

Chat: So I hope you all don't mind but I'm going to do do something that I think makes a lot of sense and I honestly can't figure out why nobody has ever done it in the comics.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Post: A flash of darkness shot out of The Shade's cane and collided with Mid-Nite's head as he was carried away by the vultures.

When he awoke he was on the top of a tall building, held back by the shadow vultures, who had turned into shadow bird-men. "Pull yourself together McNider..." Mid-Nite muttered, lifting his head up to look at his captor. He blinked, thinking he was still suffering from the blow to the head but it was true. He was staring at a man made of shadows. It wouldn't be so surprising with The Shade around, but his goggles showed that this man gave off heat, something that mere shadow constructs don't do.

"Oh, you're awake. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Ian Karkull. I was struck down some time ago by your friend Dr. Fate. However, I recently met the Shade, a man who has power over shadows. I couldn't speak but with extreme effort, I managed to twist my shadow body into the shape of the word 'help'. With his powers, Shade reconstituted my body and offered me the chance to aid him in this caper. I thought you'd bring Fate with you but alas, no. Still, the JSA are friends of Fate and I have a new trick that Shade and I have been working on that I'd like to test on you. Allow me to introduce... The Shadow Possessor!" Karkull explained, pointing to a small device in his right hand. Pointing the device at Dr. Mid-Nite, he fired a shadow beam. It possessed Mid-Nite. His head dropped again, then raised but this time his eyes were pure black like shadows.

"Go forth now minion! Convince your friends to enter the portal with you, even if you have to forcibly bring them to it!"

Old February 15th, 2005   Lady Obie is offline   #15
Lady Obie
Supreme Geoffan

As the Hawks flew down towards Shade Hawkgirl suddenly found herself strangely gripped with a bit of fear.

Hawkman was never the type to really think such things out. *He'd attack first and only question things later if he deemed it necessary.

But should she move to stop their advancing on Shade?

Maybe attacking him wasn't the right move but shirking back from the shadowy foe might not be such a good idea either.

Shiera never was one to be scared of the dark so she wondered what could be wrong. *What more could there be to this that she & her teammates weren't aware of?

Jade: I'll take care of it for you, Obie.

Atom: Obie!? You call a thing like that--OBIE??

-- All-Star Squadron #25
Old February 16th, 2005   The Kid Lantern is offline   #16
The Kid Lantern
They call me Mason....

Quote[/b] (majflash @ Feb. 13 2005,2:20 pm)]"Flash! Take Brainwave down! Now!" HAWKMAN yelled to Jay.

Jay saw BRAINWAVE and made his way towards him. *FLASH was able to use short bursts of speed in order to evade the attacks from THE SHADE. *Jay was nearly on him when something clamped down on his leg like a vice grip and started pulling him back. *With only seconds to react Jay pulled out a small metallic lightning bolt from his pocket and launched it at BRAINWAVE. *

"I hope thats enough to give my friends the advantage." Jay thought as he looked at his leg to see what had trapped him. *It was CAPTAIN MARVEL, and they both went into the portal together.
ddf
[b
----POST----

As the Flash falls into the darkness, his quick reaction skills give the Man of the Hour the only amount of time he needed. The metal lighting bolt stabs into Brainwave halting his dominance over our hero's mind. With Wonder Woman battling the mysterious cat creature with a professionalism only found in Amazons, Rex Tyler makes it back to his feet to see another hero in need of assistance...

"Hippolyta, with Brainwave not able to concentrate this may be the opening we've been waiting for! Our friend in the coat looks like he could use some help, fists won't keep these citizens out of that portal for long...."

Hourman goes to lift cars in the way of the portal while the unconscience bodies of zombie-like citezens of New York start pilling up. For the moment it seems the heroes have the advantage, but they never have it that easy. Rex looks over to see his good friend Charles McNider in some trance not knowing of the new threat that plots against our heroes.

"Mid-Night, snap out of it man! You've got to come to your senses, we need your abilities. What's got you under... AAAAH! So, the Shade wants to attack me with these creatures. The Doctor will have to wait...."

Shadowy tendrils reach from the ground and tie the hero down in place. Fighting off numerous shadow-crows, the Man of the Hour fights a losing battle. As Brainwave seems to be making an unformal retreat, other things come to light. In the corner of his eye Rex Tyler sees another familiar face.

"I don't like the looks of this, is that... can it be? What is the Sandman's sidekick Sandy doing here?!? Could another of our friends possibly be in trouble?"

Tune in next time for... "The Sidekick My Hero" or "Who's Shadow Is It Anyway?"

----Chatter----

I hope this isn't too much. My nephew who's gonna start off as Sandy and come in later as Sandman asked me to give him an opening. If anybody has any info on the villian brought up by Jade Knight I'd love to see it. I asked a Wildcat fan earlier through a PM if he'd be interested in joining in the game, but who knows. The boy will probably post after school tommorow after we hit the comic shop for the new GL REBIRTH and Teen Titans issues. Ya'll take it easy, it's late and I'm passing out at the keyboard!

~KL~

I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world....