The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics > Green Lantern

Old October 9th, 2010   Patrick Gerard is offline   #1
Patrick Gerard
Geoffan

Default Larfleeze speaks...

I read the following from Newsarama's coverage of the NYCC:
"What does Larfleeze sound like in your head?" Johns: "He sounds a bit like Daffy Duck. I think he drools a little bit. He eats with his mouth open."
ddf
Now, I just have my laptop's onboard mic at the moment but I decided to throw together a very quick and dirty animated sample of my take on that voice with a few classic Larfleeze quotes. I went for Daffy Duck with a bit of Frank Oz and Chris Latta thrown in. This is just me riffing on Johns' voice idea in a single take.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGnhylmiwAU

Old October 10th, 2010   Bizarro #98 is offline   #2
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

That's pretty good, but I imagine Larfleeze sounding a bit more manic. You know that tone of voice Daffy uses when he's really worked up about something? That's what I think Larfleeze sounds like most of the time.

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482
Old October 10th, 2010   Patrick Gerard is offline   #3
Patrick Gerard
Geoffan

That's pretty good, but I imagine Larfleeze sounding a bit more manic. You know that tone of voice Daffy uses when he's really worked up about something? That's what I think Larfleeze sounds like most of the time.
ddf
Bizarro #98 View Post
I'm trying to place that. More nasal? Higher in the throat? Faster paced?

You have a clip of that?

Old October 10th, 2010   Kyer is offline   #4
Kyer
Sorry MkBear

I'm trying to place that. More nasal? Higher in the throat? Faster paced?

You have a clip of that?
ddf
Patrick Gerard View Post
Ahhhh.....I know what he's talking about! There's a scene where Daffy is really filled with avarice over this huge gem he's fighting to keep even though it's putting his life in jeopardy. Bugs Bunny is trying to reason with him, but Daffy won't listen. It's perfect for Larfleeze. If only I could recall which episode this was in. Think is was set in medieval times and a dragon was involved. Not positive though...been eons since I watched Loony Tunes.

Edit: Found it...not medieval..Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves: Ali Baba Bunny 1957. Daffy is one greedy maniac in that one. Great comic lines. Will see if I can find any clips.
Last edited by Kyer; October 10th, 2010 at 01:46 AM.

People had been working for so many years to make the world a safe organized place. Nobody realized how boring it would become. ~Palahniuk
Old October 10th, 2010   Patrick Gerard is offline   #5
Patrick Gerard
Geoffan

This?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWamxEDcqiQ

Old October 10th, 2010   Kyer is offline   #6
Kyer
Sorry MkBear

DArnIt! I could have sworn the site accepted my edit.

I have a slow dial up connection, so it's taking me quite awhile to find anything that's graphics heavy, but to narrow it down:

The scenes I'm thinking of are from Ali Baba Bunny 1957 in which Bugs and Daffy accidentally arrive at Ali Baba's loot hideout instead of Pismo Beach, California. Daffy sees the treasure and immediately goes greedy slob, trying to keep the lot for himself. Bugs has to rescue him from a genie and this obese guard. It's absolutely hilarious.

Think Daffy The Greedy Slob clip might have where Daffy first sees the treasure and starts yelling "Mine!" Sorry...comp is so slow. Search YT for Ali Baba title.

People had been working for so many years to make the world a safe organized place. Nobody realized how boring it would become. ~Palahniuk
Old October 10th, 2010   Kyer is offline   #7
Kyer
Sorry MkBear

Yep, that clip from IronMaiden75 was definitely part of it. Also, Bugs bunny and Daffy Duck the Happy Miser looks promising for more of the episode. Looks like it might contain where Daffy goes on about being "fabulously wealthy" and basically financially stable....if not emotionally so.

This is where I curse not having hi-speed. The clips are only 1:25, but even that takes over half an hour for me. Sorry.

Old October 10th, 2010   Simon DelMonte is offline   #8
Simon DelMonte
Diehard DCU & Mets Fan

I think that he sounds like a cross between Daffy and Wallace Shawn doing the Grand Nagus. My wife does a great impersonation of Shawn, and read some Larfleeze dialogue and it was perfect.

Simon DelMonte
Old October 10th, 2010   Thrillho is offline   #9
Thrillho
Master Geoffan

For me, there needs to be about 10% Homer Simpson in Larfleeze's voice, just to handle the "yuh-oh" moments.

Actually there is a lesson in Homer Simpson: his voice is centered to handle all kinds of emotions, and that might work for Larfleeze too. Here, Dan Castellaneta talks about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mirkCQlnoWE#t=2m5s

Old October 10th, 2010   DRMOUSE2814 is offline   #10
DRMOUSE2814
Beta Lantern

For me, there needs to be about 10% Homer Simpson in Larfleeze's voice, just to handle the "yuh-oh" moments.

Actually there is a lesson in Homer Simpson: his voice is centered to handle all kinds of emotions, and that might work for Larfleeze too. Here, Dan Castellaneta talks about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mirkCQlnoWE#t=2m5s
ddf
Thrillho View Post
I imagine Larfleeze to be constantly salivating to a "say it, don't spray it" level. A fast speaker, except perhaps in those "D'oh" moments or situations where he's being conniving (example when he learned the location of the Blue Lanterns from the Guardians). Then a lower, slower, more menacing growl creeps in. He can run the gamut from being a living joke, to being one of the most dangerous villains in the DCU.

Old October 10th, 2010   Bizarro #98 is offline   #11
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

Yep, that clip from IronMaiden75 was definitely part of it. Also, Bugs bunny and Daffy Duck the Happy Miser looks promising for more of the episode. Looks like it might contain where Daffy goes on about being "fabulously wealthy" and basically financially stable....if not emotionally so.

This is where I curse not having hi-speed. The clips are only 1:25, but even that takes over half an hour for me. Sorry.
ddf
Kyer View Post
Here's the clips in question.

Greedy slob.

Happy miser.

Here's another good example:

I demand that you shoot me now!

And then there's this:

I got an MBA, a PhD, an EKG, a BLT, a TNT, and big old load of TLC!

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482
Old October 10th, 2010   Mark MacMillan is offline   #12
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

I definitely see some Daffy, but if he was introduced in a Batman comic, I could see Bruce comparing him to a goofy little version of the Cookie Monster (which feels more on target to me) since Larfleeze isn't intimidating by any means (especially considering the serious threats to the universe that the JLoA has faced both together and individually before) Just some goofy little alien who was lucky enough to grab hold of the Orange Lantern before the Guardians could destroy it.

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube