The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old July 21st, 2010   oddballuk is offline   #1
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

Default Supergirl #54 Discussion Thread (with Preview) - Spoilers

Out July 21st, a Bizarro version of Supergirl is attacking Metropolis and it holds many surprises for Supergirl.

Preview at CBR: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...847&disp=table

Ha! I love that preview.

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
Jimmy Olsen is cool!

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old July 21st, 2010   Patrick Gerard is offline   #2
Patrick Gerard
Geoffan

Great art and writing. Just beautiful to look at and intensely clever and exciting.

My one complaint and the 5 page previews make this stand out... Ever notice that Supergirl herself tends to take three to five pages to show up in her own book under Gates' scripts?

They aren't decompressed at all and I love his take on Kara but it just seems like most issues take awhile to bring her into the story whereas the classic Superman stories tend to have Superman on almost every page and frequently in every panel.

Which is funny to me because Kara seems more accessible than Clark, personality wise and in terms of disposition/stature and yet the camera seems to be from Clark's PoV whereas Kara tends to wander on and off panel a lot more.

To a point where the five page previews don't look like they're for a Supergirl book all that often.

Might be worth bringing up but I think a more effective preview for Supergirl, instead of the first five pages, would be five pages from the middle, even if it meant some censored dialogue and panels to keep the plot developments a mystery.

Old July 21st, 2010   Primal Slayer is offline   #3
Primal Slayer
Geoffan

It was a good read. Her closest was the was the best page since it featured basically every little random interpreatation of this costume (the headband, all the different belts, her Flamebird costume, pic of Turner SG). Only thing it was missing was the gold laced skirt. And since we know all of these still exisists, would be nice if they brought out more.

Old July 21st, 2010   Bizarro #98 is offline   #4
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

Officer Kruptky. A reference to West Side Story? He might be a robot, since protecting lost children would fit Toyman's MO perfectly. But infinite whitespace and disappearing doors seem a little advanced, even for a genius like Toyman. Mxyzptlk, maybe?

Nice move by Bizarrogirl, using her microwave vision to petrify Supergirl like that.

They aren't decompressed at all and I love his take on Kara but it just seems like most issues take awhile to bring her into the story whereas the classic Superman stories tend to have Superman on almost every page and frequently in every panel.
ddf
Patrick Gerard View Post
Actually, that's something I never liked about older Superman comics, or older superhero comics in general for that matter. When creators must put the main character on every page, the comic often reads more like a toy advertisement than an actual story. Sometimes a character's presence is stronger when only their influence (or the absence of it) is explored in certain scenes. A little subtlety can be good.

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482
Old July 23rd, 2010   greenflameuk is offline   #5
greenflameuk
What Would Jack Bauer do?

I'm glad to see were hopefully past Kara feeling sorry for herself all the time, it's about time this book was this fun again.

The art was great to, i really liked Jamie Grant's colours.

Listen To The iFanboy Pick Of The Week Podcast!!...It's Grrreat!!.
Old July 23rd, 2010   oddballuk is offline   #6
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

Cool issue and put me down as someone else that is glad to see Supergirl's self-pity was put behind her this issue.
It made sense given recent events but I was worried it'd last too long!

I loved the use of Jimmy Olsen this issue and I liked the events occurring at the Planet over Kara's identity.

Igle's art was great (cool wardrobe page!) and I thought the powers of Bizarro Girl were creative.

This continues to be a great read.

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old July 23rd, 2010   imarriedsatanII is offline   #7
imarriedsatanII
Horseman of the Calypso

I just want to chime in to say that this is the best Super-book, IMO. Between the writing and the art team (Jamal is rockin' it!), "Supergirl" delivers month in and month out.

ps I WOULD loooooove to see the Enchantress (in her original garb) appear as a foil for Kara again!

"Something profound" - Me
Old July 30th, 2010   Call Me El is offline   #8
Call Me El
Geoffan

I'm liking this story so far. Cat overhearing Lana might turn out to be a bigger problem than BizarroGirl. I like that BizarroGirl calls Kara "Bizarro me" but I notice that she doesn't speak in opposites like Bizarro No.1. I wonder if that's significant...

"I know nothing stays the same
But if you're willing to play the game
It's coming around again" - Carly Simon
Old July 30th, 2010   imarriedsatanII is offline   #9
imarriedsatanII
Horseman of the Calypso

Regarding the Cat overhearing Lana thing... Lana only refers to Supergirl as "Kara" if you reread the scene. So Cat really only knows that Lana knows Supergirl on an intimate basis, not that Supergirl is "Linda Lang".

"Something profound" - Me
Old August 2nd, 2010   Call Me El is offline   #10
Call Me El
Geoffan

Regarding the Cat overhearing Lana thing... Lana only refers to Supergirl as "Kara" if you reread the scene. So Cat really only knows that Lana knows Supergirl on an intimate basis, not that Supergirl is "Linda Lang".
ddf
imarriedsatanII View Post
No, I got that. But just knowing that Lana can get Supergirl on the phone is a big thing and figuring out the rest is not a big leap.

Of course, figuring out that Clark is Superman with glasses shouldn't be a big leap either.

Old August 2nd, 2010   Bizarro #98 is offline   #11
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

I like that BizarroGirl calls Kara "Bizarro me" but I notice that she doesn't speak in opposites like Bizarro No.1. I wonder if that's significant...
ddf
Call Me El View Post
Probably not. The frequency of the opposite-talk has always been a rather writer-dependent thing. It can range anywhere from constant opposite-talk to just normal caveman talk.

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482
Old August 6th, 2010   Call Me El is offline   #12
Call Me El
Geoffan

Probably not. The frequency of the opposite-talk has always been a rather writer-dependent thing. It can range anywhere from constant opposite-talk to just normal caveman talk.
ddf
Bizarro #98 View Post
Me sad for answer. Since you am a Bizarro you must know nothing about this.